About FictionPress: Peer Help for New Users
Stuff I learned and may be useful to you. This is an unofficial forum. I have no other way to contact the admins besides the same Help link in the corner. In fact, the absence of any response from the admin is what prompted me to create this forum.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
taerkitty

This forum is set up to be a 'newbie FAQ' because I searched and couldn't find one. Please feel free to post on-topic replies to topics. Sorry, it is currently set so only Moderators and the Admin can create new topics. I would much rather this forum be small and focused than have it grow and be spammed.

Off-topic replies will be deleted from existing topics.

I reserve the right to keep the forum size down by integrating your contributions to the topmost post per topic, with proper attribution. This is so relevant content is always at the first post. I do not want a topic to accrue ten questions (or discussion about the topic) and then have someone post something actually useful. A new user will likely not read through all ten replies that do not contribute to the knowledge pool before finding that eleventh post that contains new and relevant material. However, because those replies are on-topic, they will not be deleted.

===

In the upper right of the forum home page, you'll see a pulldown labeled 'Topic Category.' This allows you to filter topics based on their category, which is the first word in the title. So, if you want to only view topics about Forums, pull down the select box and choose Forums.

For your convenience, each topic is prefaced with the Category name.

===

Please post any questions or suggestions you wish for new topics here. Again, they must be topics relevant to onboarding a new FPie. "Can somebody read my story?" is indeed a 'question' in the strictest sense of the word, but it will be deleted because it is not within the scope of this forum.

===

Edit: 2012-01-02

In case it's not clear - I have no affiliation with FP admins, and have no other way to contact them besides the 'Help' button in the corner. In fact, I've never received a response from them, which is why I created this forum in the first place.

1/29/2010 . Edited 1/2/2012 #1
mirages

Sorry, but how exactly are we supposed to add paragraph breaks in between stanzas of poetry?

11/27/2010 #2
D-Rogue

How you add the link of a/your forum to a/your C2, that would be very nice to know...

2/2/2011 #3
a LITTLE bit extraordinary
Is anyone else having a problem with the document manager? Well, because I sure am. I tried to edit some stuff in my document, but it's only a small box without the bold, underlined or italics option bar. It's basically a small box with everything in its html code. I'm so confused. Is there anyway to contact the support or the fictionpress-Help team? Or is there even such thing? Heheh. Thank you for your time! :)
4/4/2011 #4
Echo Monroe

I've been having the same problem for weeks and they still have not fixed it. I have contacted them and still gotten no response. Can someone help?

1/2/2012 #5
taerkitty

Okay, I have the formatting bar again, at least in the forum window in which I'm composing this post. However, my Publisher | Doc Manager (Upload) | Edit/Preview window doesn't have it.

1/2/2012 #6
MonochromePhantom
Hello I'm a new user here on FictionPress,I just posted my story but I was wondering if you can use other programs like AbiWord Document instead of notepad? When I tried uploading it from AbiWord,it said 'Please select a file compatible' or something like that. Has anyone else ever had that problem before?
1/3/2012 #7
taerkitty

Here's what FP has to say about this under Account | Publish | Doc Manager (upload):

List of Supported Document/File Formats:

- LibreOffice/OpenOffice/NeoOffice (.odt, .sxw)

- Microsoft Word (.doc, .docx) + Microsoft Works (.wps)

- WinWord, WordPad (.rtf)

- StarOffice (.sdw)

- WordPerfect (.wp, .wpd)

- HTML (.htm, .html)

- Plain Text, NotePad (.txt)

Of them all, I just use .txt because I don't use formatting. In large part, that's because FP seems to be getting more and more broken in what types of formatting it allows.

1/28/2012 . Edited 1/28/2012 #8
MonochromePhantom
Ah okay,thanks. I just use notepad then and it works fine for these sites.
1/28/2012 #9
surprise butt secks
I've been having the same problem too! Have you figured anything out to fix it? I've had to resort to writing on Fanfic (I write and save online so I can get to it from any computer with internet) and then transferring it to FicPress. I'm seriously considering moving. PLEASE HELP.
2/10/2012 #10
taerkitty

Sadly, no. I'm starting to believe FP.com is either the 'beta' site for FF.net - they break our site, fix the bugs, then implement it over at FF.net, or ... they're trying to 'convince' us to move over. I can't think of any other reasons.

For simple things like forum replies, I just use raw HTML coding. For more complex things, such as Doc Manager editing, I do the copy-to-FF.net, edit-it-there, copy-back-to-FP.com workflow as well.

Yeah, it bites.

2/25/2012 #11
MonochromePhantom
Um..the story I posted just came out in a huge paragraph, in Fanfiction it's not like that at all. I really wish FictionPress oould make it more like Fanfiction; I like it when my work looks neater and not bunched up in a huge paragraph -_-
4/14/2012 #12
Tawnchan

Here's a pretty dumb question... ;

How do you post to a topic? I can't... post...

There is no 'quick reply' option for me. I can only reply to others...

6/26/2012 . Edited 6/26/2012 #13
CelticOtaku

Please Help! I posted the first chapter of my story, but I realized afterward that my summary was somewhat misleading and that I didn't account for the strong language in the description. I changed the summary via Manage Publishing and it shows the updated version on my account, but when I browse through the site it appears that nothing has changed, even though I made the corrections hours ago. I made certain to press the Save Changes button, but nothing has happened yet. Thanks for your help.

7/25/2012 #14
Kay Iscah

I had the idea to make a Forum like this for the same reason you did but decided to do a search first to see if it existed. Glad it does. I'll try to point some newbies in your direction.

2/17/2013 #15
Kay Iscah

@ Monochrome. There's a cut and paste option in the upload that may work for you. FP formatting is limited, but that way you could use another program and copy the text without actually uploading a file.

2/17/2013 #16
taerkitty

Quite welcome. It's surprisingly dead, but I suspect that's simply because I don't do enough to 'promote' it.

2/17/2013 #17
AdventuringHobbitses

Hello, I have a question about certain word limits per chapter if there are any? I have a tendency to write fairly sized chapters and are wondering if could hinder me when posting them here. I noticed a lot of chapters in posted stories are fairly short in nature. I was wondering if that was just because many 'Press authors like it this way or if this is that standard.

9/12/2013 #18
Kay Iscah

There's no rule.

However, I'd recommend you try to cut off around 2,500 and don't go over 3,000.

I have read 10,000 word chapters on this site, but it's difficult on the eyes. After 4,000-5,000 it feels really tedious.

(And make sure you figure out scene dividers. FP will automatically eat extra spaces and asterisks...so I tend to use a combination of bars and decorative letters.)

9/12/2013 . Edited 9/12/2013 #19
AdventuringHobbitses

Thank you. This was very helpful. I've always been surfing around, but never really posted any content for myself and wondered about posting etiquette.

9/12/2013 #20
taerkitty

Chapter tend to be pretty short. There are a few reasons for this:

1. Many authors are in their teens and young adult years. For many in that demographic, a 2000 word essay is a chore.

2. Some authors here aren't as developed and haven't learned to "not let the story race ahead". Or, another way to put it it is, "in a hurry to get to the good parts."

3. The Internet overall has made us much more ADD/ADHD. This may lead to the above, but will also lead to "grey walls of text" being shunned.

4. Many authors are here for the reviews. (I'll admit to being one of them!) If I write a single 20k chapter, or 5 4k chapters, I'll likely get twice as many reviews.

5. Some authors try to post regularly, as if they were producing a periodical. In that case, it's good to keep a chapter's word count to the lower end of normal so as to build up one's buffer.

===

As for recommendations, @Kay is quite correct: 5k is a good upper limit. I'd say 1k is a good lower limit, else it may leave the readers feeling shorted.

Kay is also correct about the importance of using a good scene divider, and about FictionPress.com and FanFiction.Net's tendency to wreck them. I use the following as a divider:

Ξ§§§Ξ

Having it centered helps set it off.

9/14/2013 . Edited 9/14/2013 #21
LewisCooke

I was sent a problem report message to my email and I deleted it without looking by accident, is it possible for it to be resent?

It has disabled all alert features for my account.

It says I can only sort it out once I sort it out on the email message (which I cant do until it is resent).

It claims that I unsubscribed from their website when I didn't/ don't know HOW to subscribe to this website in the first place. So if I didn't know HOW to, I doubt I was able to unsubscribe FROM it.

I was asked to follow the guidelines it had provided which were:

1. Add to my email contacts (Which I did and have also asked the same question).

2. Do not tag our emails as spam. (I do not believe I have, and cant check until I DO get an email from them).

3. Check my spam/trash for the email (which I did and did not find it, because once I delete, I empty the recycle bin STRAIGHT after).

4. Make sure your email is not fake (which obviously it isn't).

Please respond fast OR any other users because I am unable to check my views/ reviews on my stories and god knows what else on my account until this situation has been sorted out. I would much appreciate to have this answered ASAP as it is important to the current time.

Thank you for your help and I hope to get a respond as soon as.

9/16/2013 #22
Kay Iscah

First Go to "Alerts" and click on "Settings/Guide" from your drop down menu.

This is what is says:

"WARNING: If your email provider bounce/reject our emails, we will disable and set all your email alert options to off. Please use the following guide to add our email to your contact-list/address book to avoid this problem in the future. If you are having issues receiving email alerts, please make sure you have added to your email provider/client white/safe sender list. Also check your spam/junk folders and if any of our emails are mistakenly put into the spam/junk folders, click the "not spam" checkboxes/options when available."

Beneath that are the controls for your Alert Settings.

Chances are they had an e-mail bounce.

If that doesn't fix things, go to the "Help" link at the very bottom of the page, and e-mail support.

9/16/2013 . Edited 9/16/2013 #23
LewisCooke

It worked, thank you a lot and for replying so quickly:)

9/16/2013 #24
SweetChrissy

I've edited a typo in my story, and saved the change. But it isn't showing up when I go to the actual story. Is there a delay, or something I'm missing?

12/29/2013 #25
Kay Iscah

Saving the update to the document doesn't update the story. After you save the document, you go to Manage Stories, select your story, go to "Content/Chapters" and "Replace/Update Chapter", and then you have to select the chapter and updated file.

12/29/2013 #26
taerkitty

And after that, it can take some time for the change to show publicly. If you go to your account, Manage Stories, (that story), Download, the change will be immediately visible.

1/4 #27
unworldlysoul

I'm new to site and things are pretty confusing, how do I know if a story is completed or not?

3/12 #28
taerkitty

@unworldlysoul - it's the last part of the summary. Here's an incomplete story (of mine):

Stolen Souls: Exit Strategy reviews

Serial work, inactive. She's 15, a bio-augmented assassin, and has no memory of her youth. Can she find herself under all the lies, peace under all the blood? Fiction: Manga - Rated: T - English - Adventure/Sci-Fi - Chapters: 3 - Words: 2,778 - Reviews: 7 - Favs: 1 - Follows: 3 - Updated: Jan 21, 2012 - Published: Dec 30, 2011

Here's a completed one (with added emphasis):

The Human Touch reviews

One-shot, completed. She's a wealthy widow. He's her late husband's brother-in-arms from The Great War. Can they overcome pain and doubts to trust each other in her final days? Fiction: Romance - Rated: T - English - Romance/Friendship - Chapters: 2 - Words: 2,757 - Reviews: 21 - Favs: 3 - Updated: Jan 7, 2010 - Published: Dec 29, 2009 - Complete
3/12 #29
Forum Moderators: taerkitty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member