About FictionPress: Peer Help for New Users
Stuff I learned and may be useful to you. This is an unofficial forum. I have no other way to contact the admins besides the same Help link in the corner. In fact, the absence of any response from the admin is what prompted me to create this forum.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
taerkitty

A/N: Author's notes. Usually, the opposite of the summary (see below.) This is a block of text used to elaborate on the author's thoughts, the creative process, or anything about the creation of the work. It could be used as an extended summary.

ConCrit: Constructive Criticism. Another word for a review of the work.

RP: Roleplay. Interactive storytelling. We each bring a character (or more.) You write a chapter, I write a chapter. Different RP forums have different rules, but most tend to frown on you drastically changing a fellow RPer's character (stripping of gear, casting spells to alter appearance / gender / race, or, of course, killing them.)

RR (also R/R): Read and review. Read this story / chapter / poem, then write a review of it.

Summary: The blurb that's presented when a reader finds your story in a list, such as on your profile. Only 255 characters in length, so use them well. Hint: "Please read," "I'm not sure if this is good," or "I'm new here" do not qualify for 'using those 255 characters well.' Write about the story, not about the author or reader.

1/29/2010 #1
FieryArtemis

"Summary: The blurb that's presented when a reader finds your story in a list, such as on your profile. Only 255 characters in length, so use them well. Hint: "Please read," "I'm not sure if this is good," or "I'm new here" do not qualify for 'using those 255 characters well.' Write about the story, not about the author or reader."

Very good advice. Putting simply "please read" or my personal favorite "I suck at summaries, the story is better than it sounds" is not very enticing to readers. A good summary should draw potential readers in, not make them doubt your writing abilities.

SM

2/2/2010 #2
Lynn K. Hollander

The blurb is the back-cover ad that you glance at while waiting in the check-out line. It needs a grabber more than it needs a description of the whole plot. 'You know something's wrong when your best friend announces he's married a mermaid and doesn't know exactly how it happened' is better than 'This boy meets this girl who turns out to be not human after they get married and he doesn't know what to do'

Failing a good summary, try an intriguing bit of dialogue: "Why did you marry a mermaid? You know you can't swim!"

12/30/2013 #3
Forum Moderators: taerkitty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member