About FictionPress: Peer Help for New Users
Stuff I learned and may be useful to you. This is an unofficial forum. I have no other way to contact the admins besides the same Help link in the corner. In fact, the absence of any response from the admin is what prompted me to create this forum.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic

You try to upload a document and see this:

Processing Error

We are unfortunately unable to convert your document. This could be an internal error or a problem with your file. Please try again. If you contintue to receive this error, please forward your file to site support for further assistance

However you can work around:

1. Click on 'Login' in the upper right of the screen.

2. Click on 'Publish', then 'My Stories'

3. Click on one of your stories.

4. Click on 'Content/Chapters'

5. Click on the 'exp' link, any 'exp' link.

6. You will have created a new document in your Document Manager, titled "Export:Chapter1" or somesuch.

7. Now, you can delete all your content in that document and copy/paste your new chapter or story from your desktop.

8. After you're done, you can append this chapter to your story as usual.

1/29/2010 . Edited 1/29/2010 #1

Thanks! ^^

1/30/2010 #2
I tried this. But it didn't work. I can upload the file. That's not the problem. The problem with mine is, when I select the file in DMU: All of the words are jumbled together into one whole paragraph, and the box doesn't even open to full capacity. It merely stays at about 2 Inches, and doesn't open any further. I've already contacted support, but they have yet to reply. I really would like to publish my next chapter! Please help me. Thank you. -Kieran
12/30/2011 #3

It appears FP is having yet another issue where their HTML parsing is bugging out. This happened a while ago, and I posted a workaround for it.

The short form: write it in HTML.

The long form: download an HTML editor and write your post in it, then copy the raw HTML and paste it into FP's compose window.

For your situation where you've already created the content, copying and pasting your text into it should add the necessary HTML alphabet soup where it will work. Mind you, I just returned from a burnout-induced 'vacation' from FP, so I haven't tried posting anything yet. I'll give it a try and see.

Edit: Well, I just posted some random scribbling of a story to test what I thought. Here's the bad news:

1. I've never received any response from FP support. I think they're more worried about FanFiction.net, and have let this site drop to last place.

2. Yeah, I see the miniscule window and single block of text, too. Basically, it's converting your story to HTML and storing it there. The good news is that all of the linebreaks and formatting are still in the story when we view it. The bad news is that they aren't in the edit window when you try to use it.

Fear not - just download a WYSIWYG (what you see is what you get) HTML editor such as KompoZer, then copy-and-paste that mess of HTML into the 'Source' tab. You can use the 'Design' tab to edit it as you normally do, then copy-and-paste the modified HTML from the 'Source' tab back inot the Document Manager's edit window. In fact, that's what I'm doing to format this post. 12/30/2011 . Edited 12/30/2011 #4
Forum Moderators: taerkitty
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member