About FictionPress: Peer Help for New Users
Stuff I learned and may be useful to you. This is an unofficial forum. I have no other way to contact the admins besides the same Help link in the corner. In fact, the absence of any response from the admin is what prompted me to create this forum.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
taerkitty

FP has some very strict security to ensure ill-intentioned FPies don't insert malicious strings and try to trick other FPies into copy-and-pasting them into the browser. That's great, but there are times when you really need to stick the string in, such as exchanging email addresses for sending Word documents back and forth.

The easiest way is to spell out the punctuation characters. Thus, to tell someone else my email address, I'd say

taerkitty (at) gmail (dot) com,

taerkitty (at) gmail. com

or

http://domain (dot) com/sample/path

As you can see, it's the "(dot) com" that triggers the scrubbing. Actually, it's "(dot)(anything)." The (at) character is also elided, for your safety and (in)convenience.

===

However, therea re times when you need to have it appear in literal form, such as in a story. Here, you'll need to use alternate characters that look like what we're looking for. In Windows, Start | Programs | Accessories | System Tools | Character Map. It doesn't matter what font you use, the trick is to find a character that looks like a period, but isn't. A quick look around shows the 'U+307A Greek Ypogegrammeni' character looks like 'ͺ', which is close enough.

http://domainͺcom/sample/path

And for email addresses, 'U+4A8 Cyrillic Capital Letter Abkhasian Ha' looks like 'Ҩ', which isn't really close, but will get the point across:

taerkittyҨgmailͺcom

===

That's a lot to remember. Fortunately, you can just copy the characters from this post and paste them into your document instead of trying to do all this. That's what I'm going to to do when I need thist.

2/1/2010 #1
Forum Moderators: taerkitty
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member