We Return Reviews
Want reviews? Open to those who have a policy of always returning reviews.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 .. Last Next »
lookingwest

A place for any questions or suggestions you might have regarding the forum.

Since this is a new thread we welcome any suggestions to improve! And if you have any questions we will do our best to answer them.

If you have any questions about Fictionpress in general, a great forum to check out would be taerkitty's About FictionPress: FAQ and Help for New Users.

3/18/2010 #1
Anise Cary

ok so here's my question over here LOL: when posting a story we want reviewed would there be a limit to number of stories? will someone be able to say just review anything? Would we post more info than just the title, like genre, summary, stuff like that so people wouldn't have to click through to a profile to find out if they want to bother with a review?

3/18/2010 #2
improvisationallychallenged

I think we'll be leaving things quite open ended, so you can state what story you'd like people to start with. If they enjoy R+Ring your stuff, they'll hopefully come back to it the next time they're looking for something to read/review in the hope of getting some review love in return.

At least, I think that's the plan...

3/18/2010 #3
lookingwest

Well I was sort of thinking we just keep it simple. I personally never mind clicking through profiles, but I know people on the RH and Gossip like doing that...

I thought maybe just saying if would had a preference for what we want started first, then it might give them a good starting point.

I was also thinking that maybe to the "Review Returners" thread, we could add a: "Working with authors" thing, where we would list those we're currently going back and forth with reviews on...and it would also make it an easier place to keep track of who you've reviewed and where you're at. You can basically do anything you want with your Post.

So like:

...All my information, and then:

"Tack Board" or something:

Reviewed "user" (# of reviews you gave)

Reviewed "user" (# of reviews you gave)

ect.

And then that would just act as basically a white board where you could keep track, and if you're the person who owes, then you can see simply how much you do owe, and if your stats are matching up.

But this is up for debate, as it would require people to be "editing" their post a lot, and I don't know if people would want to do that...but it would probably work well with a smaller group than a bigger (which is why it's open for debate)

3/18/2010 #4

I like that review tracking idea - that'll give newcomers an idea of who's really active.....kind of like what the Gossip does, but organised :P

3/18/2010 #5
Anise Cary

ok another question (see I told you I was full of them): from what I understood you saying on RG OT we're not going to have a list stating that we reviewed someone's work right? So to track that someone has returned a review you made from this forum should we put in the review something about "greetings from We Return Reviews"? That way if someone doesn't return a review with in the required time we have... well for lack of a better word "proof" that is was from this forum and not from another or just random

3/18/2010 #6
Anise Cary

But this is up for debate, as it would require people to be "editing" their post a lot, and I don't know if people would want to do that...but it would probably work well with a smaller group than a bigger (which is why it's open for debate)

I think this could work if this is a small group bc it wouldn't need to go beyond one page, it could even be

Reviewed "user" (# of reviews you gave) Returned reviews #

though I guess that may not be necessary

Would we want it part of the Returners thread or as a thread of its own though?

3/18/2010 #7
lookingwest

I think this could work if this is a small group bc it wouldn't need to go beyond one page, it could even be

Yep, but I'm thinking if for some reason this does go beyond one page, will it get really messy?

Reviewed "user" (# of reviews you gave) Returned reviews #

though I guess that may not be necessary

You know...since it's your post basically, I figure you can do whatever you want with it, just use the space to keep yourself organized or something. I mean maybe we should require that you have "Reviewed "user" (# of reviews)" in some sort of form, but maybe not restrict people to using that format....I can see where people might get lengthy with it, and that might also make the possibilities of going into "page 2" a more real issue...

I feel like it might be redundant...but that's just my opinion :S

3/18/2010 #8

I feel like it might be redundant...but that's just my opinion :S

I think leave it as part of the Returners thread. The posts will get long, yes, but it will also stay nice and neat.

Maybe tell people to clear out their review tracking every month, so that it doesn't get too clogged... :\

3/18/2010 #9
Anise Cary

Maybe tell people to clear out their review tracking every month, so that it doesn't get too clogged... :\

not a bad idea, I was just thinking that if someone had returned the reviews I'd given them I'd kind of zero out the total and just remove it from the list unless I've given them new reviews

ok so is the number of posts per page set by FP or can either of you set that as admin or mod, or is it something the user can set to see?

3/18/2010 #10
lookingwest

I think leave it as part of the Returners thread. The posts will get long, yes, but it will also stay nice and neat.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking and then that's another good idea with the clearing it out every month thing. Or at least request that they do. I mean I know some people suck at being organized, but you kind of have to be if you return reviews, XD, and I always catch myself some times going to someone's profile and actually going through their entire profile, counting, to see if we're even or if I owe them, XDXD--this would at any rate be helpful for me to keep track of more than one person.

Hey, you know what might be another good idea? We could do a "News" like the RG does, but then maybe link to stuff that's happening on other forums, (though all I can think of linking at the moment is the WCC, RM, and the Writing challenges at the Gossip) XD I don't want this to be something that competes with other forums, just a more organized place, haha. So maybe that would at least get those who frequent the General Forums a sort of place for "latest news". Lawls, I just got a funny image: "News: The Confederates have won the RPG Civil War forum. It is official) XD

3/18/2010 #11
lookingwest

Austen, I'm loving the "Complaints" thingy, do you think we should extend to a "seven" day week instead of five? I really don't care either way but it might make some happier if they have full time jobs, ect., during the week and only have free time during the weekend...

3/18/2010 #12

Yeah, that's what I was thinking and then that's another good idea with the clearing it out every month thing. Or at least request that they do. I mean I know some people suck at being organized, but you kind of have to be if you return reviews, XD, and I always catch myself some times going to someone's profile and actually going through their entire profile, counting, to see if we're even or if I owe them, XDXD--this would at any rate be helpful for me to keep track of more than one person.

I think it's a really good idea, not just for keeping track of who owes who, but it also gives people a chance to show off just how much they put in to reviewing other people - and people love to show off, so it might even motivate people to review more ^_^

I've done a Returns and Complaints thread, with an outline of the black-listing process (feel free to change it btw - I'm in a very blunt mood today, for some reason :P)...maybe we could link to it in the Review Returners thread?

Also, I don't know if you got my last message Potter, but I do think we should change the OT to something less RG like. We can still keep the Zelda Fitzgerald title, but maybe something like "The Blathering" or "Randomness Goes Here" or something as the thread header... :\

3/18/2010 #13

It is a seven day thing in total - the waiting participant just has to wait five days before they can complain about it. If they have to wait seven, then it's getting too long I think :\

Oh, also, should we make a note that any reviews made in the review game threads don't count here? We don't want people reviewing another Returner in an RG thread and then b*** that they didn't get a return from them...

3/18/2010 #14
lookingwest

Also, I don't know if you got my last message Potter, but I do think we should change the OT to something less RG like. We can still keep the Zelda Fitzgerald title, but maybe something like "The Blathering" or "Randomness Goes Here" or something as the thread header... :\

Sounds good to me, I definitley don't want to rip off the RG OT. I just tried to think of something really random, XD, like: Randomness: Some Cats Have Three Faces. lawls. But yeah, I'll change it to something that doesn't involve the words "Off Topic" XD

3/18/2010 . Edited 3/18/2010 #15

Randomness: Some Cats Have Three Faces.

:O

Do it! That's amazing!

3/18/2010 #16
Anise Cary

Hey, you know what might be another good idea? We could do a "News" like the RG does, but then maybe link to stuff that's happening on other forums, (though all I can think of linking at the moment is the WCC, RM, and the Writing challenges at the Gossip) XD I don't want this to be something that competes with other forums, just a more organized place, haha. So maybe that would at least get those who frequent the General Forums a sort of place for "latest news". Lawls, I just got a funny image: "News: The Confederates have won the RPG Civil War forum. It is official) XD

ok first of all I love that, it should be the first post, second I like the idea of pointing people to other forums as well, esp RG bc then they can see the requirements on the RG threads as templates. And if we don't link to the WCC and Writing Challenge at Gossip, someone is bound to ask for one here. I'd rather keep this focused on the reviews other than the OT, course it's not my forum so not my call, up to you two

I think it's a really good idea, not just for keeping track of who owes who, but it also gives people a chance to show off just how much they put in to reviewing other people - and people love to show off, so it might even motivate people to review more ^_^

and people are so much more likely to review someone who has a long list of others they've reviewed and can see they give good reviews as well, besides I'm one that likes to show off and part of my prob at Gossip is I do a big list then get like one review from someone else on the thread and that's it UGH

3/18/2010 #17
Anise Cary

Randomness: Some Cats Have Three Faces

Purrr Purr Purr-fect, sorry couldn't resist, now to take any further OTness to that thread whatever it's title may be

3/18/2010 #18

And if we don't link to the WCC and Writing Challenge at Gossip, someone is bound to ask for one here. I'd rather keep this focused on the reviews other than the OT, course it's not my forum so not my call, up to you two

No - I'm down with that. The WCC has to be one of the most successful monthly writing competitions on FP, and I know (from personal experience :P) that people find that hard enough to keep up with, so I don't really want to compete with that. :P

3/18/2010 #19
Anise Cary

that may be what I stick to, I didn't even get one written for Gossip this month, though maybe next month we'll see

3/18/2010 #20
lookingwest

No - I'm down with that. The WCC has to be one of the most successful monthly writing competitions on FP, and I know (from personal experience :P) that people find that hard enough to keep up with, so I don't really want to compete with that. :P

No, not compete. Just link to them. Say: If you're looking for a good writing challenge, go here? So in a way, this would basically be promoting the Review Game's going ons, and they're basically the biggest most successful forum...at the same time I mean, who hasn't heard of the RG? XD So it would be pointless. Yeah. :S

I DO NOT want to compete with other forums. I was thinking more of a "hippie-let's-hold-hands" approach to forums that actually have monthly challenges and of course, the RG's review marathon (which hasn't been as successful in the past few months).

But yeah. I would not do this without mod permission from the RG. So I'm going to shoot down my own sugg and say yeah, No. At least not now, maybe if for some bizarre reason we actually get people involved, haha

3/18/2010 #21
Anise Cary

if this forum gets hopping and people ask for hat kind of thing we can always suggest they check out those places

3/18/2010 #22
lookingwest

if this forum gets hopping and people ask for hat kind of thing we can always suggest they check out those places

Yes'm

Now what about that five day or seven day leeway return period?

3/18/2010 #23

Five days before they get a warning, seven days before they get black-listed.

If they have a legit excuse, they can use it once they get the warning, and we can review it in the Returns and Complaints thread before deciding on a suitable extension.

Also, I didn't say anything because I didn't want to drag you into it, but if anyone does get shirked on, I think I'll make it a personal policy to review them, so they aren't down on reviews...or go into the RG and make a request for one of theirs instead of one of mine if I've already reviewed their stuff. It only seems fair.

3/18/2010 #24
lookingwest

Oh, nah, let's keep it five days with a two day leeway :D

Oh! I have another idea that would be attached to Complaints.

Say someone is seriously going on like a two week vacation or they just don't have time to meet the technical seven day requirement? Should we just have them PM us and tell us and then they can edit their review returner post to : No, currently on vacay, or No, I have finals week! Or something like that?

So I mean it's really not hard to not be blacklisted, because we're not holding you to it necessarily, if you really have a good month where you're able to have a lot of free time to use Fictionpress, and then you have a really busy month where you just can't--you're able to sort of alert others to that?

3/18/2010 #25
lookingwest

Also, I didn't say anything because I didn't want to drag you into it, but if anyone does get shirked on, I think I'll make it a personal policy to review them, so they aren't down on reviews...or go into the RG and make a request for one of theirs instead of one of mine if I've already reviewed their stuff. It only seems fair.

Yes. I will do that and I'll be willing to do it even as a freebie and such too, so they're not cheated. Because that sucks, XD, and it happens a lot....

Perhaps...we could even open another topic for people that would be willing to review a user who is short. That could get very messy thought. It might be along a concept of what the RH used to be, with The Bar or whatever...but yeah I think I'll keep this one plausible but not until we actually see how many users we get.

3/18/2010 #26
Anise Cary

that all sounds good, nice of you to offer to review that person so they're not shortchanged, maybe we could have a volunteer list of those to review anyone whose been shirked so you don't have to do it all yourself, I'd sign up

3/18/2010 #27

Speaking of users, I feel like recruiting ^_^

Reckon we can get away with PM'ing those we know are good/reliable reviewers who may be interested?

3/18/2010 #28
Anise Cary

No, currently on vacay, or No, I have finals week! Or something like that?

kinda like putting your mail on hold when on vacay, sounds good

3/18/2010 #29

that all sounds good, nice of you to offer to review that person so they're not shortchanged, maybe we could have a volunteer list of those to review anyone whose been shirked so you don't have to do it all yourself, I'd sign up

That would work well - or maybe in the Returns and Complaints we could leave up a request for someone to freebie review the shirkee...volunteers get karmic cookies as a reward or something :P

3/18/2010 #30
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: lookingwest lianoid, improvisationallychallenged
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member