We Return Reviews
Want reviews? Open to those who have a policy of always returning reviews.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
improvisationallychallenged

Okay, so over here in the UK, we have this cute little show called Desert Island Discs where celebrities come on to list their eight favourite songs ever and explain why.

The concept of the show is that these are the songs they'd take with them if they were going to be stranded on a desert island with nothing but a record player.

So, Review Returners, this thread is for you to list what your top eight songs of all time are, and tell us a bit about why they're just that awesome ^_^

Of course, this is a completely informal, just for fun topic, so you can do your lists in regards to your FP stories, your life, a certain character of yours - you can do as many lists, for as many different reasons as you like, so go crazy! ^_^

The only rule is that each list can only consist of eight different songs.

Now, let's spread the musical love :D

3/20/2010 #1
improvisationallychallenged

Okay, I'll do one first, so everyone can use it as a template :P

The 8 Songs That Are: My Desert Island Discs (aka - most awesome, memorable songs for me evar - Revised)

#1: Fleetwood Mac, The Chain - This song is my childhood. Everytime I hear it, it takes me straight back to being eight years old, sitting in the back of the car, singing the Stevie Nicks part at the top of my lungs while my dad sings the main, and taps along to the fantastic, infectious beat on the steering wheel. I loved it from the first time I heard it, and eighteen or so years down the line, I love it still.

#2: B*** Fairies, We're All Going to Hell - I got introduced to this song the summer I first left home to go to London, and the cutesy cynicism of the lyrics fit my social attitude at the time very nicely. Even now, it never fails to bring a smirk to my face. It's got one of those beats where it just makes me want to get up, go out and do stuff...while inwardly mocking it :P

#3: Xtina et al, Lady Marmalade - This song immediately puts me in a glamorous mood, and I'm sure my love of the video when it was constantly being shown on the telly (although I don't remember it being quite so crotch-grabby :\) has a lot to say about my obsession with corsets, fishnets and show-stopping make-up. Another song that I have loved from the day I first heard it, right up to now.

#4: Gorillaz, Feel Good Inc - This song and video just blew my mind back in 2005. I'd always liked the concept of Gorillaz, but had always felt a bit ambivalent about the actual music they produced, and Feel Good Inc yanked me over from casual observer to adoring fan. I had to travel a fair distance into school when this song was top of my favorites list, and there was many an early morning I used this song as the aural equivalent of pro-plus :P

#5: CocoRosie, Werewolf - I love this song so much. It's just so ethereal and beautiful, it never fails to take me to another world.

#6: System of a Down, Spiders - The first System song I heard, and truly fell in love with. It sums up everything I love about the band.

#7: Peter Gabriel, Signal to Noise - It was really hard choosing a Peter Gabriel song to go in this list. My parents have always been huge fans of his work, and as a child, he used to annoy me. Then they got the album Up, and I fell completely in love with the whole thing. I chose this one, because not only is it epic, and probably the true showstopper of the album, but it's also the one my mum used to play over and over again (until either me, or my dad, pleaded with her for mercy...or ran away with the disc...) and now, I can't hear it without thinking of her. Sappy, I know, but still :P

#8: Nina Simone, Feelin' Good - ...I can't believe I forgot Nina...Everything about this song is epic, and no cover shall ever match it.

... that was actually a hell of a lot harder than I thought it would be... o_o

3/20/2010 . Edited 3/23/2010 #2
Anise Cary

neat idea, ok gonna start with The 8 Songs That Are: My Feel Good Songs

1) Peter Gabriel In Your Eyes I saw Say Anything with my girlfriends at a sleepover back in the day when we were in HS, it always reminds me of them and makes me smile

2) Journey Any Way You Want It two reasons, first my kiddo loves it and rocks out to it and it's too cute, second I think of Simpsons every time and it makes me laugh Marge - Where's all this beer and music coming from? Homer - it's a party Marge it doesn't have to make sense

3) The Spectrum Song from Disney bc I just can't hear it without laughing, I mean come on; lavender blue dilly dilly dilly, dilly, silly :)

4) Bon Jovi My Life I just love this song, well and Bon Jovi :)

5) The Edgar Winter Group Free Ride takes me back to some fun times, we did this one in show choir when I was in high school (and actually my ex-fiancee who was also in the group has since put it on you tube, here it is and maybe I'll even throw in a review to anyone who can guess which one is me XD) This was one that we just really enjoyed, on our way to contest in New Orleans we stopped for dinner, when we got back to the bus b4 the director we actually began to do an impromptu performance of it in the parking lot, I had a good high school career

6) Kool and the Gang Celebration I just can't hear this song without smiling and dancing along, not that I don't dance to most anything ;)

7) Lynyrd Skynyrd Sweet Home Alabama this is my dancing on the chair/table/ or desk song since college

8) Village People YMCA bc this is the song that really made me notice my husband, we met at a kegger in college, they played this song and he proceeded to do it backwards, ACMY, yeah I tried it and just couldn't do it (I can now LOL) and he'd had way more to drink than me. Besides it's really fun to do it around other people and totally screw them up

yeah that was much harder than I thought it would be, ok now to think about another list, ok links to everything added

3/21/2010 . Edited 3/23/2010 #3
lookingwest

Well since I'm obsessed with songs that relate to my stories. This is The 8 Songs That Would Totally Be On the I Never Said I Was Brave Soundtrack:

(and if you hang at The Globe you have heard me rant about almost every single one of these, lawls)

1. Poison Oak by Bright Eyes -- I know, I know, emo, really Emily, this guy sounds like he's about to burst into tears! But forgive me, for I was but a mere mopey high schooler when the concept of my shapeshifter characters came into being, and so to speak, this was the song that inspired the first early prototype of Achitophel. The line that developed it the most was, "and I never thought this life was possible / you're the yellow bird that I've been waiting for"-- I played with that imagery in a lot of my earlier romance based stories. Mr. Conor Oberst wasn't best songwriter of 2004 for nothing!

2. Heads Will Roll by Yeah Yeah Yeahs -- My go-to image of Charlotte's band is early YYY, Fever To Tell, but this song on their latest album pulled some great visual images from me. Karen O, lead singer of YYY, is a rock goddess. Almost all of her music inspires this story, haha.

3. Intuition by Feist -- If you haven't checked out the album The Reminder, you need to right now. It's amazing. And though I love every song on the album, this one gave me tremendous inspiration for Jude and Charlotte.

4. Beneath Your Tree by Bowerbirds -- Kit's music is of course, all beard-rock, haha. I don't want to reveal too much with this one, given I haven't developed Margot's character at all, save for her mention.

5. The Dead, Dead Water Lily Thing by Rockettothesky -- This is some pretty rare music and hard to obtain, but when I heard this I thought it was deliciously dark and I would often find it a great walking song, especially during the winter time. Jude, again. Of course. No one else could come from such creepiness, haha. You can find this song at her Myspace page, it's worth a listen. But I don't want to leave you without any flavor of her music, so here's her biggest hit Grizzly Man, which has a great music video. She's from Finland but most of her music from her album Medea is in English, including The Dead, Dead...

6. Desperate Guys by The Faint -- This electronic style is sort of what I think of when I think of "witch" music, in my story. Though it isn't addressed as often, they loved clubbing / discos, and so a lot of their musical tastes is electronic / techno-ish in nature. Who doesn't love a good synthesizer? A Jude song, for fun reasons.

7. Treat Me Like Your Mother by The Dead Weather -- One guess as to where my inspirations lie here, haha. Yeah. That gun in the music video held by the nice lady? That's an MP5. Hellooo Charlotte's gun.

8. Modern World by Wolf Parade -- (cool music video) Ending with another basic grounding in my first inspirations with my shapeshifters. Loved the concept of the song, and fell in love with the lines, "it was a torch / driving savages back to the trees".

Ah, well this excuses me from choosing a relativity hard-decision of my Top 8 of all time, XD

3/22/2010 . Edited 3/22/2010 #4
Mizzuz Spock

The 8 Songs That Are: My Favorites (Of All-Time and Beyond)

#1: The Mars Volta, Roulette Dares (The Haunt Of) (Epic piano cover HERE and some nifty string quartet HERE)

It's hard to imagine a time when I wasn't totally obsessed with The Mars Volta, but the truth is, I never really liked them until I saw them perform this song live when they opened for System of a Down some five or six years ago. This song is amazing. Like a lot of their tunes, it's a rollercoaster, fast and wild and brutal, then within the next few seconds, soft and soothing and fragile. If I could ever BE a work of music, I'd wanna be this one. Hands down, my favorite song. It has been for six years, and I can totally see me as a wrinkled old gramma in the nursing home, still jamming out to Roulette Dares, headphones blaring.

#2: Yoko Kanno, Aqua

A song from the good ol' days, which I discovered only because I would buy every anime OST out there with my allowance, whether or not I'd seen (or, in this case, even HEARD of) it before. Beautiful and simply amazing. I'd call it magical, but then I'd just be entering the "Cheesey Sentimental Zone." xD

#3: Nina Simone, Sinnerman

Hot damn! This song never fails to give me chills. It is epic. Nina Simone is epic. The best part is when the song just starts to sound like it's falling apart and bits of tunes go flying every which way. She brings down the house, man. This song is so raw and powerful and I love every minute of it. They just don't make artists like this anymore.

#4: The Strokes, Heart In A Cage

I feel a lot like that guy sometimes. Plus, it's the first music video that ever made me cry. Ever since, I've had an odd emotional attachment to this song.

#5: Nickle Creek, The Lighthouse's Tale

It's a beautiful song, even if it does have that honky-tonk bass thing going on in the background. I'm a sucker for tragic stories, and this one is rather unique, as told through the point of view of a lighthouse, who is, in a sense, immortal. It's strangely happy-sounding, given the depressing story it accompanies. I love this melody and that mandolin never fails to make me smile.

#6: Flogging Molly, Selfish Man

Were I born a man, this would have been my theme song.

#7: A Fire Inside, This Celluloid Dream

Ah, Davey Havok. The days before Miss Murder. Such energy! Such cryptic lyrics! Such...emo punkness! You were actually GOOD. (Or maybe I only think that because I discovered you during my middle school years and have a soft spot in my heart for your music?) *sigh* All the colors, upon leaving, all will turn to gray. My favorite song off of their Sing the Sorrow album. Sadly, the only song that skips in my CD player. D:

#8: Bonnie Tyler, Holding Out For A Hero

This is pure nostalgia here. No cover can evereverever do this original justice. No, not even the one from Shrek 2. When Bonnie Tyler's voice just goes all raspy and she's shouting, she just sounds so desperate, but there's that pure emotion there. Awesome song. Even if I no longer favor the whole damsel-in-distress thing like I did when I was a kid. :D

(God, it was so difficult not to make EVERY one of these songs a Mars Volta song. xD)

3/22/2010 #5
xenolith

The Eight Songs That Are: my desert island disks

#1. Last Goodbye, Jeff Buckley

Grace has to be my all-time favourite album. Its helped me through so much, and not only that, Buckley is wonderful. This song isn't his best I don't think, but I love it anyway. It's so tragic and beautiful and he sings with such longing it damn near breaks my heart.

#2. I Got It Bad (And That Aint Good), Nina Simone

Nina Simone is epic! I'm so glad someone else thinks so! Her voice is out of this world. I can't think of a prettier song...

#3. Lullaby, The Cure

Ah, The Cure, they're my favourite, they really are. I mean, just look at the video. Listen to the intro. I get caught up in it. I started listening to The Cure when I was about sixteen or something, and it was completely different for me, it was so wacky and not what I was used to. Melodramatic, that's the word, I think.

#4. Time, Pink Floyd

It is the best part of Dark Side Of The Moon. Loud, late at night, there's just nothing better!

#5. Have You Ever Seen The Rain, Creedence Clearwater Revival

This is the song that my friend and I used to sing, p*** drunk, like it was the end of the world. It's our anthem! Nay, the anthem. The anthem of good times :D

#6. Let's Give Them Something To Talk About, Bonnie Rait

For some reason, I've always had an irrational love of this song. It just makes me so happy lol

#7. Best Of My Love, The Eagles

It's my favourite Eagles song, and it reminds me so much of home.

#8. I Want To Be The Boy To Warm Your Mothers Heart, The White Stripes

Classic Elephant! This album changed my life, seriously. And I've always had a fondness for this song, it tells it's own little story, it's cute.

-

That was fun :) I'll try find the videos later.

3/23/2010 . Edited 3/26/2010 #6
Dahlia Wolffe

Hmm. Eight favorites...

#1: The Beautiful People -Marilyn Manson. Well, I have to say this one because it feels like a classic to me. One of the first hits by one of the most controversial musicians EVER. You might think it's dark and never listen to it because of the stigma of his music, but this is one of those songs you can either headbang or dance to-- or both! Love this song and always keeps me in a good mood. Dark and cool at the same time.

#2: Into the Night- Disturbed. For the longest, the only song I'd heard of theirs was "Down with the sickness" and "Inside the Fire", which if you know these songs, they are entirely played out. lol. But when I first heard this song, I was hooked. It helped me as I was writing an old story I might post here, Immolations of A No Life King. In fact this one might have to be on the soundtrack if it ever gets that far. Just brings the thought of power and invicibility, and the solo is deadly!

#3: Avoid The Light- Pantera. Again, another of many songs that has helped and inspired me when i write. Not only was it in one of the coolest versions of Dracula (in my opinion; Dracula 2000) it just kicks @$$!

#4: Legend of the Fall Offs- Busta Ryhmes. This is one of few non-comical songs by Busta, who i love when he is goofy, lol. If you listen to this song you feel sad and you really do end up thinking about your life and the meaning of everything. The track is hot and it's also got a deep undertone.

#5: I Write Sins Not Tragedies- Panic! At the Disco. This song would have to stay with me to keep my sense of comedy. The intro is funny, and while I don't listen to this kind of rock much (Marilyn Manson, hello!) I like this song because it does have decent musicality and a light tone of comedy to match. I had the song when they first got big! Tee hee...

#6: Jesus Freak- DC Talk. You know, it wouldn't seem like this would have a place on my list but in fact, it does have a very special place. When I lived as a good little Christian girl this song was considered hard-core, and to me it really is, especially for some Christian Rock. It made a statement for young believers and i still keep this at heart because of that. I can't forget it, and this would probably serve to keep me sane...

#7: Take it Off- The Donnas. This certainly has a place, as this was the first song I mastered on Guitar Hero! :) Another comical song with an easy tone, speaking out with a voice for women! Wa hoo! lol...

#8: Hollow Life- Korn. Another song that not only inspired me, but had a very deep message. Another song that questions existance and rocks hard. From one of my favorite albums and one of many I could listen to all day...

5/4/2010 #7
lianoid

1. Gotta Knock A Little Harder by The Seatbelts: This band is wonderful. The soundtrack for Cowboy Bebop is one of the best I've ever heard. So many great tracks with such a wide range of genres, it's hard to pick a favourite. This one however, evokes many feelings. Every time I hear it, I have to brace myself for the onrush of emotions. Love it.

2. I Want You (She's So Heavy) by The Beatles: This song is like an o***. The baseline and fade out are so climatic it drives me insane.

3. King Rat by Modest Mouse: New favourite. Can't get enough of it. Not only is the video to it hauntingly brilliant, but his voice—oh man. It's so unique and so emotional and just so many wonderful things. The ending line, "What do you have to say for yourself?" is definitely the most appropriate final punctuation to an already amazing song. The way he twists words and loops lyrics is just brilliant. His voice is low and deep and raw and rumbling and rolls like thunder and sends shivers down my spine and oh, my god. I can't say it enough, this song is amazing.

4. Paranoid Android by Radiohead: Man, Radiohead in general I just couldn't live without. It's so hard to choose my favourite from the OK Computer album because I love them all. Favourite line from this song: "That's it sir, you're leaving. The crackle of pigskin. The dust and the screaming. The yuppies networking and the panic the vomit the panic the vomit. God loves his children. God loves his children, yeah." (I always imagined the "yeah" being said sarcastically, but that's just me).

5. Sail To The Moon (Brush The Cobwebs Of The Sky) by Radiohead: Third track on the Hail To The Thief album. After I listed to this album, my entire life changed. Sounds overly dramatic, but it's true. I've gone through at least three copies of this CD because I've listened to it so many times. So glad we have mp3 files now. This song is so magical. Favourite line: "I sucked the moon. I spoke too soon and how much did it cost? I was dropped from moonbeams and sailed on shooting stars." Really, it's so incredibly difficult to pick a favourite Radiohead song because I love them all. And what's not to love really? This song in particular is absolutely wonderful. From the calming rhythm to lyrics that create such beautiful visuals, how could I not be inspired by this?

6. She [7" Version] by The Misfits: By far one of their best tracks, in my humble opinion. I'm not a huge fan of the group as a whole, but this song always pulls me in. The bassline is just so friggan awesome. Really, don't think I could do without having this in my library.

7. Shiver by Coldplay: Brings back so many wonderful memories. This song was pretty much my constant background music while writing, many years ago.

8. Sinnerman by Nina Simone I don't think it can be said enough; this song is EPIC. Such terrifying visuals mixed with a voice that could rip a soul out of one's chest; this song is takes no prisoners.

8/17/2010 #8
Adrenalin

1. When I am laid in earth, from Purcell's opera Dido & Aeneas: it's a common saying that someone either hates or adores opera, but no one can remain indifferent to it. I love opera to death, because, hey, did you hear what they can do with their voices?? And this aria I think I could listen for days and days without stopping, it's so beautiful and sad.

2. The mercy seat, Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds: I was eighteen when I discovered this song. I had heard Johnny Cash's version and I liked it, but nothing more. Then I read High Fidelity and I listened to Nick Cave... This song just blew my head off. It's a very dark song and yet I find it inspires me to fight back when I don't feel well.

3. I want you, Bob Dylan: now that's the song of the 15-year-old's myself. It feels like a bowl of fresh air each time I listen to it. Like going back in time (not that it's so far away from me, but still. Lazing in the sun with not a care in the world and no exams, no money problems or such, and thinking we were so sophisticated because well, we didn't listen to Britney, but to the coolest of the cool people. Damn, I miss it. We were such brats)

4. The greatest, Cat Power: the voice, the rhythm, the lyrics! My song for calming myself when I have this feverish feeling of being restless that takes over me. "Lower me down/ Pin me in/ Secure the grounds"; that's exactly what that song does to me.

5. I'm your man, Leonard Cohen: the day a guy tells me anything having one tenth of the romanticism of this song, I'm marrying him (or maybe not, but the feeling will be there). And his voice, his voice! I'd kill to have such a voice whispering in my ear.

6. Walk this way, Aerosmith: TEH energizer song. No way I'm stranding anywhere without that song.

7. Introduction from Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake: not a song strictly speaking, but I can't keep it out of this list.

8. A ton étoile, Noir Désir: it's sad that it's the only French song in my list. Anyway, in english it would be 'To your star' and the name of the band would be 'Black Desire' and it's a GREAT song.

8/18/2010 #9
Your-Magpie

A fifteen year old isn't supposed to have a good taste in music, but nevertheless :)

1. Stranger than Kindness by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.

I've never felt so empowered listening to a song. The tension makes my guitar strings pop off. It's so dark and his gravelly voice just makes me tired and scared and alive which is an odd combination. It was recommended and it really doesn't disappoint.

2. Silhouettes in Sunsets by Tom Felton

I don't care that it's played by Draco Malfoy- I'm not a fan of him either way- but this song whooped my socks off, and is my ultimate writing song. Try it, it's an instrumental.

3. At the Bottom of Everything by Bright Eyes

If I felt inclined to do so, I could've done every song by Bright Eyes. The lyrics are so poignant- and not in the soppy way you'd expect in this song. It's a happy one, just tinged with emotion. He was Rolling Stone's 2008 Best Songwriter and he's been compared to Bob Dylan. This isn't my favourite song of his, but it's the one that makes me happy, the one I play on guitar the most, and is what I wrote At The Bottom of Everything on, with the one good scene from Knowing, lol. (Best songs to check out are Landlocked Blues, Lover I Don't Have to Love and Napoleon's Hat) Best music I own, who'd've thought it'd be folk?!

4. Because You're Gorgeous by Babybird.

The explicit sexual lyrics were great for me when I was seven, why would it be any different now? Lol, but back then I only knew the chorus. This song holds memories, both from early childhood, and recently. For an english assessment we had to make a Manifesto to be the next PM. I donned a Mr. Blobby mask + Costume and entered the room dancing to this.

5. Sweet Disposition by Temper Trap

The tune is amazing. Inspiring. Affects you like when you're watching live music and you feel the drum and bass hitting your heart. Another easy writing to song. Lyrics pretty good, too.

6. Witchcraft by Pendulum

I could dance madly to this all day, and I'm not much of a raver. I dance like my dad. A good song to get into the 'Zone.' Pendulum are pretty good, though. But this song stands out to me.

7. Glorious Day by Embrace.

This song has always been close to my heart. It's been a theme tune for my Best Friend Holly and I for six years. It's an anthem. We sing it all the time. She recorded a radio show with all of our favourite songs on for Christmas and this was number one. The imagery in it's beautiful, and the song itself is always a joy to listen to. (check out if you like Train or just good songs in general. Other good songs- No Use Crying, I Can't Come Down & The End is Near)

8. Gretchen Ross - The Donnie Darko Soundtrack

Ethereal, surreal, inspiring.

By the way, it was cool to see everyone elses!

8/22/2010 . Edited 8/22/2010 #10
Forum Moderators: lookingwest lianoid, improvisationallychallenged
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member