Writers Inc
This is the home for wayward RPG's of any sort. Come join, create, write - Unleash the Power Inisde
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 25 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 45 .. Last Next »
Alexander Starkiller

Chris was denoting the British term for cigarettes [starts with an "F" with two "g's" in the middle], here used as disparing slang to mean homosexual.

1/6/2011 #1,021
Fleur-de-lis Evans

Yeah... I just didn't want to explain because I find using it that way offensive..

I do enjoy the facebook WIN status I saw one time:

Child: Daddy why is Justin Bieber so pale?

Dad: He spends all his time in the closet.

This *points above* makes me laugh a lot every I remember it.

1/7/2011 #1,022
Alexander Starkiller

Me too. I'm glad I remembered that that same word is used to mean cigarette or I wouldn't have explain at all.

Awesome.

1/7/2011 #1,023
Chelise87

Oh, I get it now. Not sure if I know what the word is, but that's fine.

Haha, that is funny.

1/7/2011 #1,024
Fleur-de-lis Evans

Or:

Kid: Daddy is Justin Bieber a vampire?"

Dad: Why do you ask?

Kid: He is sparkly.

Lol... I love little kids sometimes...

1/7/2011 #1,025
Chelise87

HAHA!

1/7/2011 #1,026
Fleur-de-lis Evans

Yeah.... there are so many Bieber jokes, like Daniel Radcliffe thinking he was a girl the first time he heard Bieber on the radio. That's my favorite.

1/8/2011 #1,027
Chelise87

HA! I seriously do that! I'll hear a song of his on the radio, and I'll be like, "Who sings that? She has a pretty voice." And then someone will say it's Justin Beiber, and I'm like, "Oh." Ew. LOL!

1/8/2011 #1,028
Alexander Starkiller

I have as well, many a time. Though in my mom's truck we listen to KLOVE or Air1 so we're safe.

1/8/2011 #1,029
Bleeding Perfection

My sister's friend called him "Jistin Beaver" once, which really set my sister off. I found it funny because he's canadian, and beavers are common in Canadia. (Yes, I misspelled "Canada" on purpose.)

Although, my sister doesn't like him anymore.

Also, I think he's on drugs or something, because he's fallen off the stage and broken a leg, like, two or three times already.

(***DENOTATION*** Don't read the following if homosexual slurs offend you.)

The word for "cigarette" in England is "f a g g o t"

(It censors it without the spaces, so I had to space between each letter...)

1/8/2011 . Edited 1/8/2011 #1,030
Alexander Starkiller

DENOTATION: Homosexual/Racial/Sexist Slurs offend everyone. At least, everyone here.

1/8/2011 #1,031
Bleeding Perfection

Actually, I'm only offended by racial and sexist. I could care less about homosexual slurs. And, honestly, I promote them. I know it's mean, but I'm just that way.

As for racial slurs, I only let them slide if the person using them is jokingly making fun of their own race.

As for sexist, I hate them. I knocked a guy out once for shoving his ex-girlfriend whle calling her a b-word. And it was in school, and I got away with it, too.

1/8/2011 #1,032
Alexander Starkiller

It's not just mean, it's morally wrong. And the way you say it, you won't ever change. And that's just being lazy.

People who do that are living double standards.

This makes you the living double standard, now. Maybe not in this instance [because this also involved abuse], but definitely in general.

1/8/2011 #1,033
Fleur-de-lis Evans

Actually, I am offended when words are used out of meaning or context.

In it's two meanings the word F a g g o t is:

1. A bundle of sticks or twigs tied together with twine or string

2. A cigaretee

often shortened to 'f**'

It bothers me greatly, although I understand it's use, and the reason Fiction Press censors it, is because in American slang for homophobia it has become a sexuality slur. It bothers me when it's used, and I don't use it that way. There's a context for everything, this is also why "d***" still slightly bothers me.

In it's context it means:

1. an embankment for controlling or holding back water 2. a ditch 3. British: a low wall used for dividing or enclosing land land etc.

My point is that no matter what a word becomes used for Slang, there's a difference between using slang in context and as an offensive term for something a person refuses to understand. That's why I think that teaching children that words like a s s , the f word, are swears is wrong. Kids should be taught the meaning of a word and the difference between using it in context or offensively. Those words are only offensive if used to defame some one's character. That's what bothers me more than the word itself.

[Okay rant over....]

1/8/2011 #1,034
Alexander Starkiller

The F-word is obviously offensive though, as far as I've understood it. And yes, it is hard to talk about Lord of the Rings: Return of the King when a "bundle of sticks" is censored [who knows what I'm talking about?]. The difference when it comes to "d***" is that it is spelled with a "y" when used as a slur. And again, if you mean donkey, yeah not a cuss word.

1/8/2011 #1,035
Chelise87

Yeah, I don't think that has a different meaning. If it does, I don't know it. Haha, yes I remember the "bundle of sticks" being used in LOTR. "D***" is a slur? I feel so naive, so many of these words are new to me.

And, forgive a possibly stupid-sounding question, but why does what Chris did at school make him a living double standard?

1/9/2011 #1,036
Fleur-de-lis Evans

Because racial slurs are just as wrong to use against your own race as they are to use against a different race. It's hypocritical of him to call someone out on using a slur against someone else of another race but not call someone out on it when it's used by another person toward their own race.

In general I attempt to use word in context, so I don't typically use most swears against anyone. I have to admit though I do use quite a few swears as joking nicknames... I guess context and meaning go hand in hand though.

and *shrugs* I guess it's just a person's choice whether or not they use words correctly, and that they know that it's important and curtious to not slur anyone...

But let's talk about something else, shall we?

1/9/2011 #1,037
Chelise87

Oh, okay. I didn't catch the racial slur in there. Gotcha.

Annnywayyyyy... I'm going to Florida tomorrow!

Oh, and the news says Arizona representative Gabrielle Giffords(sp?) might pull through!

1/9/2011 #1,038
Alexander Starkiller

Also Chris' anti-sexist slur code and pro-homosexual slur code. That's sorta like being pro-murder and anti-abortion, imo.

Sounds like fun, Chellie.

I know, but given that it was a head shot "through-and-through" I wonder how well she might pull through.

1/9/2011 #1,039
Fleur-de-lis Evans

I was angry about her shooting. It makes me wonder when police are going to take gun violence seriously?

Chel: Flordia? Any special reason, or just family vacation?

Alex: *shivers* I dislike how people aren't taking gun violence seriously...:-( I am praying for the senator though...It's a shame that people can't seem to talk anymore...instead resorting to violent outbursts and harming others.

1/9/2011 #1,040
Chelise87

Oh, no... I had no idea it was a head shot. I just don't understand how someone could just go up and kill people, just because they don't agree with them. The gunman killed 6 other people, and I believe one of them was a 9 year old girl. It's awful! People are entitled to their own opinions, but that's absolutely NO reason to go kill people! They do have the guy in custody, though. I don't know what they're going to do to him.

My grandparents live in Florida, so we try to go visit them every year. We missed last year, though. Yeah, I'm excited. I spent most of today packing.

1/9/2011 #1,041
Alexander Starkiller

@Chel: Likely interogate the hell out of him, and give him a death sentence. As well they should.

@Fleur: I'm pretty sure gun violence is taken very seriously. However seriously it is taken, however, there will always be maniacs and evil people, not caring about anyone other than themselves in order to make points, get revenge, etc.

1/9/2011 #1,042
Chelise87

@Alex: Yes, they should. Too often they mitigate justice.

[Um... is that particular phrase completely necessary? Sorry if I sound overly picky or something.]

1/9/2011 #1,043
Alexander Starkiller

Maybe not, but it is entirely fitting, and I didn't curse.

1/9/2011 #1,044
Chelise87

I suppose. It just gives me an icky feeling.

1/9/2011 #1,045
Addison Black

...what's going on?

1/9/2011 #1,046
Chelise87

We were discussing the news on Arizona's representative, Gabrielle Giffords.

But, I have to go to bed now, and I'm leaving early tomorrow morning,so I don't know if I'll be able to post then. But I'll post as often as possible while I'm gone. So g'night, y'all and sayonara!

1/9/2011 #1,047
Alexander Starkiller

Chelise is commenting on my phrasing. After having talked about racial slurs for so long, it's ironic that she disapproves of "interrogate the hell out of him".

1/9/2011 #1,048
Addison Black

Ok, not getting involved in that necessarily... how was you guys' sundays?

1/9/2011 #1,049
Alexander Starkiller

Great! I got to work in Kid's Church, ate Del Taco, and finally got to listen to Memento Mori! Flyleaf FTW!

Beautiful bride/

Body of Christ/

One flesh abiding/

Strong and unifying/

Fighting ends in forgiveness/

Unite and fight all division/

Beautiful bride

1/9/2011 #1,050
« Prev Page 1 .. 25 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 45 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Arem H-A-Cooke, MongooseDelta
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member