Writer's group numero cinco
I don't know why number five. I bet you'd be really confused if I said 'setenta y cinco', wouldn't you?
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 .. Last Next »
scharlie18

So, I'm not really sure how this is going to work. But, I figure, we're smart people. (Well, I assume we are at least. For example, me, right now? Not so much. Getting close to bedtime someone's bedtime, so this person's IQ drops. And you know, if anyone else had said that, I would have said something along the lines of how it didn't have far to fall. And, I'm completely off track. Again. Where was I? Oh, yeah. Us = smart people.) We can figure this out.

I should probably start and go review your guys' stories/poems, but that'll have to wait until tomorrow. Night.

6/28/2010 #1
KittenOnTheKeys

I'll confess I'm pretty much completely new to FictionPress, so I've never seen how a group like this works, or if there even are any other groups like this, but it seems we could post maybe a brief description or something of our story here and then e-mail it to any readers who volunteer.

6/28/2010 #2
scharlie18

I know, I know, I said I was going to bed. But....my roommate decided to move out (YAY!) in the middle of the night (BOO!!!). Thus, I am up.

Anyways, there's a document exchange thing on FP. Person A connects with Person B (and by connects, I mean, well, there's a process behind it), and Person A can send files to Person B (and vise versa) using FP. (Specifically, the DocX exchange thingy.) Now, I've never done it before. But, I'm pretty sure that's how it works. Roughly.

6/28/2010 #3
scharlie18

Kitten, I have question for you. Why is that you've had your FP account for 2 years, and yet you just posted your first story 2 days ago?

6/28/2010 #4
KittenOnTheKeys

I've had an FP account for two years?!

It's probably something to do with the fact that I've been on FanFiction.net about that long. That site is linked with this one or something isn't it?

6/28/2010 #5
scharlie18

Well, yes, FP and fanfiction.net are sister sites, but I have a friend who's been on fanfiction.net for much longer than she's been on FP, and her profile says that she joined FP a couple days ago. Whereas your profile says that you joined 12-16-08. Does your fanfiction.net site say how long you've been on it?

6/28/2010 #6
KittenOnTheKeys

The fanfiction site says I joined in 2005, which actually might be right, I don't really remember when I joined that one. That's really weird though....maybe I joined awhile back but don't remember it or something.

6/28/2010 #7
Thetis of White Isle

Morning all. I am suffering from a bout of insomnia, so I shall take the opportunity to read some stories while I am here. That, and I want to edit my fanfic-in-progress. I guess I'd better start reading now. *cracks knuckles*

6/29/2010 #8
scharlie18

So, topic of fanfics: Both of you, Kitten and Whitey, write fanfics (at least, I assume Kitten writes fanfics), so I thought I should mention. I don't write fanfics, and I'm not huge on reading them, but I wouldn't mind if you guys wanted me to read something.

Sorry, Whitey, I shortened your name. I hope you don't mind.

6/29/2010 #9
Thetis of White Isle

Actually, I took the name "White Isle" because it's associated with my typical alias, "Thetis." Thetis is the Greek minor sea deity (or a Nereid) who married Peleus, the greatest warrior of his day, a mortal. They had a son named Achilles, who is much better known for being one of the heroes of the Trojan War. So if it's all right with you, could you call me Thetis instead? (White Isle is where Thetis put the shade of her son Achilles when he died.)

I love to read fanfics, but I tend to write for really rare fandoms. Actually to be honest, until I started De Anima, I never actually got around to writing more than a few snippets of fanfic. I tried posting on FF.net, but of course, it being an obscure rpg fandom, no one even so much clicked it. Also, the story is a novelization of the game, so it reads more like fantasy novel, and you don't really even need any prior knowledge of what happens in the game.

Don't worry about it. While I would love to have someone beta-read it for me, it doesn't have to be you, if you can't bring yourself to do it.

I guess you could perhaps read the story I'm working on now? It's only about seven chapters, and I'm stuck somewhere in chapter four...whatcha got in the works?

6/29/2010 #10
scharlie18

Yes, I will replace Thetis with Whitey. It's a little weird, I must say, but, I can deal.

I'll beta-read De Anima for you. (That is the title, right?) I really will beta just about anything. (I spent an hour this morning reading over/editing my friend's essay. Mostly editing. In her defense, though, it was very well written. Don't get the wrong idea.) And besides, you say that the average normal person is supposed to understand it, and what better test of that than...well, getting the average normal (well...that's debatable, I guess) person to read it, right? I feel like I've heard of De Anima, though. (I might be thinking of something entirely unrelated. I think of De Anima and I think of two things, but I know you're not referring to the first, so...the second. Is it a game for the PS2?)

As for what I'm working on, well, I have two things really, but one is staying on backburner for a while more. It needs work. The other one is a little strange (I came up with the idea when I was *whoohoo!* off caffeine), and it's probably out of people's taste, but I enjoy writing it, so I'll finish it. Just two more chapters to go, anyway. If you want to read it, however, I wouldn't mind. Must warn you, once again: it's a little weird, and you don't have to read it if you don't want to. But if you do, well, I've posted the first chapter. I couldn't think of anything to title it, so I just called it Sketch and the Evil Mastermind. I had a friend read it over, and she liked it, but apparently, it's just us. And I won't lie, that's disappointing, but I've made my piece with that.

Or, if you want to read something not as weird, I would love input about the poem I wrote last night. It's not fantastic, but I'm pleased with it, so I posted it. It's the thing titled something about an orchestra in my backyard.

6/29/2010 #11
Thetis of White Isle

Thetis is Greek, as is De Anima. Yeah...I'm a bit of a hellenophile (incidentally I checked the spelling on this, and even though it's correct, Firefox does not recognize it as a word. Uuugh.)

De Anima was named after the famous Aristotelian essay, and translates to On the Soul--probably the reference you were thinking of. There's a reason I named the fanfic that, but you won't learn why until much later. Anima has been commonly used throughout video games; can think of two references off the top of my head--anima the life force in Saga Frontier II, and Anima is the name of a monster (aeon) you can summon in Final Fantasy X.

Hmm. If you want to get cracking on De Anima, the first two chapters are posted on my LJ, which is linked from my FP profile. I'll try to see if I can get around to reading your stuff soon...please be gentle. I'm not the greatest at prose. ^^;

6/29/2010 #12
scharlie18

Oh. I was confused as to whether De Anima was the title of the fanfic or the rpg it's based off of. (I actually was under the weird misconception that it was both. Obvi, I was very confused.)

Oooo, you want a story about my web browser not recognizing words? Okay, here goes: I use Google Chrome (and I love it, thanks). So, facebook told me one day that I could change the language in which fbook is set. I changed it to English (British) just to see if it would work, and it did. For a while, it was like that. Well, one day, I decided to change it back to English (USA). I'm scrolling through the list of languages that you can set your fbook in, and one of them is English (Upside Down). So, I think, awesome! I change it. Well, it makes me really dizzy, so I go to change it back after only a minute or so. I'm on the fbook language page, and I'm just about to change the language back to English (USA) when a little bar pops up near the top of my web page. The bar reads: This page is in Chinese (Traditional). Would you like to translate? I told it to translate, but it didn't actually have any effect. All the letters on the page stayed upside down. :D I love that story.

Will I be gentle w/De Anima? No. I will tell you exactly what I like, what I don't, and how to fix it.

As for what I was thinking of, well, it's none of those. I have a very vague idea of what I'm thinking of. I'll have to look it up and try to figure out why the words 'De Anima' reminded me of that. First, however, I have to figure out what it is I'm looking up. However, come to think of it, I did play Final Fantasy X. I can't remember if I got Anima or not. (I never actually beat the game.)

6/29/2010 #13
Thetis of White Isle

Ah, Facebook...the cult to end all cults... Hah, ha, ha...and yes, I am a member. I don't have many friends, though, because I personally don't want to be bothered with eight hundred friends. Yeesh.

De Anima is a novelization off an old, old Enix rpg for the SNES called Mystic Ark, one of the most artistic and strangest rpgs for the SNES. To be honest, 'what to fix' is a pretty subjective thing. I appreciate the help nonetheless, and I really much prefer honesty over sycophants when it comes to reviews. I haven't gotten too many really good, in-depth reviews...well, ever. So I need all the help I can get. ^^v What I meant by 'gentle' was, "Come to this expecting an amateur writer who hasn't ever published, but still wants to improve." My profile says as much.

Anima in FFX is the strongest aeon. And you have to go through this huge, long involved quest to get it. Believe me, you'd probably remember if you got it or not.

6/29/2010 #14
scharlie18

Truth be told, I can't even tell you which aeon's I had. I remember...hey, wait. I think I have FFXII. I'm not sure. Which one is the one w/Titus...and there's that demon thing, and the deal w/Titus' father....do you know which I'm talking about? I remember the cover of the game I have has a picture of Titus on the front, holding his sword, and he's standing in water. That's just about all I remember. Well, that, and the fact that I left off at this point where there was snow. Like, on the ground.

6/29/2010 #15
Thetis of White Isle

Yep, that's FFX. FFXII was the one with the Gambit system and the huge cast of characters that takes place in Ivalice. Or something. Bah, I've lost track of the series since FFX.

Speaking of which, I have the FFX piano collections (the book of sheet music, not the CD.) The music is beautiful on the piano--what I can play of it. Masashi Hamauzu, the piano arranger and one of the composers for the soundtrack is one of my favorite composers, and--well, this is all to say, I find the music inspiring. What kind of music do you listen to when you write?

6/29/2010 #16
scharlie18

I can't listen to music when I write. Too distracting. Even without words, music takes up too much of my headspace, and I can't think about what needs to happen in the story. I love music. I practically breathe to the rhythm of it. But I can't do it when I'm writing something. (Unless, it's something really short, like a message on facebook, or an email, or something.)

I listen to a lot of different types of music, but not a lot of classical/instrumental stuff. I can list all of my classical/instrumental/no-words music right here. Ready? Bolero from Moulin Rouge (absolutely beautiful), the Prince Caspian soundtrack (most of it is classical), and Cliffs of Dover by Eric Johnson (that one I discovered off of GH3. :D Amazing guitar instrumental). I'm pretty positive that's all of it. And I rarely listen to this stuff. The kind of thing that I really have to be in the mood for.

As for music that I listen to on a more regular basis, a lot of rock, a lot of pop, and musicals. 90% of my music will fit into one of those three categories. Though, right now, I'm sort of on a techno-pop craze.

What do you listen to when you aren't writing?

6/29/2010 #17
KittenOnTheKeys

I love Cliffs of Dover! My fiance plays it for me all the time. Also, I played Final Fantasy X as well, and a lot of the music in it is really beautiful on the piano. Did you find the music online?

Thank you both so much for your reviews on "The Lake", by the way. I feel really inspired that it's met with so much positive reception, especially considering that A) I rarely write poetry and B) it was a really personal piece. It's one of two I've had "published" so far (if university literary journals count as publishing...which I don't really feel it does but apparently it was a big deal, or so I was told).

Question, is creative nonfiction allowed on this site?

6/29/2010 #18
Thetis of White Isle

I think they have a section for essays, and another for 'memoir.' Scan the categories when you try to post a story. I think they allow non-fiction...to an extent, if you list it as such, maybe in the description, etc.

Yes, getting published in a university literary journal is a big deal, KittenOTK! You can put it on your resume, and all sorts of neat stuff. It means you've been published, by an esteemed journal, no less...I've submitted artwork for college journals, but never any writing.

I know someone who bought many of the FF piano collections, so I happen to have most of the arranged stuff. I've played some of these pieces for piano guild auditions.

I sometimes listen to music while I write, sometimes not. Depends on as the mood takes me. I listen to a wide variety stuff, anything from motion picture scores, to anime and video game soundtracks, J-rock, to the occasional tune off the radio, to classical.

Bolero from Moulin Rouge? Would that happen to be Maurice Ravel's Bolero? I'm not really familiar with that film's soundtrack. But Bolero is Ravel's most famous piece, though ironically he's better known for his piano pieces. I like to listen to and perform his Pavane for a Dead Princess and some assorted pieces from his Le Tombeau de Couperin. I also like Debussy, Bach, Beethoven, Satie, Saint-Saens, and Dvorak. ^_^

6/29/2010 #19
KittenOnTheKeys

That's pretty sweet, I didn't know you could add that to your resume :D I'll have to do that.

I like Beethoven too; the 3rd movement of Moonlight Sonata is my dream piece to play but I have YEARS more of practice before I'll ever accomplish that :/ haha. I like some things by the others, too, especially Bach, but out of those I'd have to say Beethoven is probably my favorite. Have you ever heard anything by David Lanz or Yann Tiersen? They're not really classical, but they still have some really beautiful piano.

6/29/2010 #20
scharlie18

No, not Maurice Ravel's Bolero. (I'm listening to it on youtube. Not the same. Though, there is a beautiful oboe solo.) Here is Moulin's version of Bolero www.youtube .com/watch? v=e1u9fMrl7wA (take out the spaces - I'm hoping FP won't block it *crosses fingers*). GO TO IT! Though, Bolero doesn't actually start until about a minute into the video. It's great. I love this.

6/30/2010 #21
scharlie18

You know, I could have sworn I posted a couple of creative non-fiction pieces, but I guess I didn't. Anyways, I'm sure it's fine if you want to post something like that. I'd put it under the 'general' category. You could (I suppose) put it under the biography category, because, technically speaking, it is a type of biography.

And Kitten, I would happily review your other pieces, but, uh...you have none. (READ: Post more stuff!)

6/30/2010 #22
scharlie18

So, Thetis, I wrote a poem (not the night/fear one I was working on earlier). I'd love to know what you think! http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2825657/1/Her_Soldier

And thanks again, Kitten, for the review. :)

7/6/2010 . Edited 7/6/2010 #23
Thetis of White Isle

I apologize. I've been working a lot lately, and been unable to spend much time online. Came home yesterday after working twelve hours straight. Tired. ^^; But I'll try to read and review your poem sometime tonight. Sorry about this!

7/7/2010 #24
scharlie18

It's ok. I haven't reviewed much lately, either. Whoops. Don't worry about it.

7/7/2010 #25
scharlie18

Thanks for the review, Thetis! :D I really appreciate it.

7/7/2010 #26
scharlie18

LOL! OMG GUYS! http://www.fictionpress.com/topic/67/1557014/1/#1741379 I realize that you guys probably got the emails, too, but I just have to say. I think this is hilarious.

That being said, anyone have objections if I PM the link to Stardancere?

7/14/2010 #27
KittenOnTheKeys

It's good with me :)

7/14/2010 #28
scharlie18

I didn't think you would mind, and I don't think Thetis will mind, so I'm just gonna do it.

I still think it's funny that two of them cropped up two weeks after we started talking on that forum.

7/15/2010 #29
person is gone

:) Yay!

Would someone be so kind as to explain to me why it's called Writer's Group #5? Are there other groups, or is there meaning behind this number?

Alsooo... this has taken off quickly XD I'll have to have a read through it all later... when I have time. The game looks fun! :D

7/15/2010 #30
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: scharlie18
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member