Writer's group numero cinco
I don't know why number five. I bet you'd be really confused if I said 'setenta y cinco', wouldn't you?
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
scharlie18

Uh, no. The number was completely random. I just...didn't want to label us as THE writer's group, so I went with #5. There might be others out there, I don't know.

And yes, it is rather entertaining. I enjoy it, at any rate, and I'm pretty sure Kitten and White Isle do too.

And, um, there is no game, really. Uhhhh *laughs* we started off with a game (sort of), and that lead to straight out conversation which lead to the place where White Isle and I talk about something that I'm beta-reading for her. But, you are welcome to suggest/start a game.

7/15/2010 #31
person is gone

All right, writer's group number 5 :) Sounds good.

Thanks for telling me about it!

7/15/2010 #32
scharlie18

Not a problem. It'll be nice to have new faces around here. Or, rather, new avatars. *blinks*

7/15/2010 #33
Thetis of White Isle

Welcome to the forum, new members! Y'know, it's really cool you decided to join us. ^_^

7/15/2010 #34
ZyggyGirl

Um, hello, everyone. *waves nervously* I didn't see a specific place to sign up, so I just wandered in here.

9/13/2010 #35
scharlie18

Oh. Hello, there. :) Welcome to Writer's Group Numero Cinco. (Says the girl who hasn't been on here in ages.) ;)

9/14/2010 #36
ZyggyGirl

It's hard to find good forums that are still alive, but this place seemed nice.

9/15/2010 #37
Thetis of White Isle

Yes, we're alive. (Sorta.) I'm going to be in and out of here, since y'know, school and all. I'll try to post enough so you have stuff to throw around. Welcome!

9/16/2010 #38
ZyggyGirl

Thank you! I understand about school. It reduces FP's population by quite a bit. I mostly just lurk around, replying to things and reading old posts and such.

9/18/2010 #39
person is gone

I'm surprised you found us to begin with - how did you, anyway?

Please feel free to post anything you like, take part in our plot discussions and whatnot... :)

9/22/2010 #40
ZyggyGirl

Luck of the draw, I suppose. I think I just jumped to a random page on the General Forums list. The name drew me in...

Thanks for the warm welcome!

9/22/2010 #41
ZyggyGirl

Um...has anyone else received a PM from someone named Mysterioso? He says his name is Russ Barnes.

9/30/2010 #42
Thetis of White Isle

No, I haven't. May I ask why he tried to contact you?

Somebody got miffed when I put them on limited profile, because they were complaining about me tagging them in pictures and notes. Goodness, do I hate demanding, picky people.

So, spam thread. Would you like some fries with that? ^_~

10/1/2010 #43
ZyggyGirl

He said he was trying to start up a publishing company. When I saw the message last night, I asked for some more information, since I would like to publish at some point, and his prompt reply was simply that we could discuss it better via email. Even though I didn't reply to the PM, he sent me his email address. Less than twenty minutes later, he sent me another message asking if I had gotten the address.

This afternoon, he sent me ANOTHER message, asking if I'd gotten his email address. I blocked him, because a) he made me angry, because I was just thinking it over and he kept harrassing me, and b) I think it might be a scam.

And yes, fries would be lovely.

10/1/2010 #44
Thetis of White Isle

I personally like Arby's curly fries. The ones at McDonald's are a bit too salty. The ones with malt vinegar are quite tasty too. I've always wanted to try fish and chips with malt vinegar, but have never gotten the opportunity. Treacle tart sounds good too.

Now I'm hungry and it's all your fault! :D

10/13/2010 #45
ZyggyGirl

Oh, man, my stomach started growling as I read your post...Must...resist...midnight...snacking...

10/13/2010 #46
person is gone

Nothing compares to proper English fish & chips with salt and vinegar! :D Nothing. I have never found anything like them anywhere else in the world.

That being said, once you'd had them a few times the strangeness wears off. Treacle tart is good, too, but Sticky Toffee Pudding tops them all.

10/14/2010 #47
ZyggyGirl

*faints*

10/14/2010 #48
Thetis of White Isle

I am a baker of cakes, hence a bringer of joy! (I'm quoting myself on that one, so don't try to look it up. Unless someone already snagged and copyrighted it before I did. :x )

My sister asked me to make homemade brownies, and I was quite surprised how good they turned out. Unlike cake mix and cookies, brownies from the box still come out pretty well, at least compared to the horror of cake mixes. I made my brownies from scratch...and they're still good, but I think I like the boxed ones just fine in lieu of from-scratch ones.

I made a grand yellow cake with two layers, and homemade chocolate frosting that was smooth as a mink's stole. I didn't get to eat it though. I came downstairs the next day, only to discover that someone had taken it to church. Augh!

10/15/2010 #49
ZyggyGirl

Aw, that's no fair. It's common knowledge that the baker gets at least three pieces of a complex cake.

I've recently discovered how to make 'parfaits', and they're becomng quite the hit with my roomies.

10/15/2010 #50
Thetis of White Isle

Complex cake? Oh, don't worry, it was just a rather luxurious yet common yellow cake with chocolate frosting. The usual, a bit dolled up. It had real buttermilk and everything! Chocolate frosting was a pain though...it got a bit chunky when I added the confectioner's sugar, but when the sour cream and light corn syrup went in, it all turned out okay!

Parfait? *looks interested* What are those precisely, and how do you decorate them? I've been making cream puffs, or pate a choux for years. I've made the from-scratch vanilla cream, but I actually prefer Jello vanilla pudding to fill them with. I think I am strange in my tastes. :D I relish eating, but I don't exactly have normal tastes. I'm making green tea cake for church tomorrow, but my mom is going all-out with some Vienna apple strudel.

Oh, by the way, a flame war about the uselessness of Ph.D literature students erupted on my Facebook page. I tried to defend my territory best I could, but then a Democrat and a Republican took over and made it political. Yeesh. :x

10/16/2010 #51
ZyggyGirl

The way you described that cake makes me hungry...

Well, we just call them perfaits, but I don't know if that's the right term. I line an oblong baking pan with graham crackers, then spread pudding over them. I add another layer of grahams, then top it with either more pudding or some Jello. Then it sits in the fridge for a while. And the layers, flavors, and types of filling are variable. I've found that chocolate pudding and canned, chopped strawberries are really good together.

Now I'm intrigued: Green tea cake? It actually has green tea in it?

Was it provoked by something on your page, or was it a random ambush?

10/16/2010 #52
KittenOnTheKeys

My sister made this Earl Grey and strawberry bread/cake that was super delicious! If you are interested I can maybe get her recipe...although she's the type that doesn't really like to follow recipes so I'm not entirely certain what she'll say, haha.

10/16/2010 #53
ZyggyGirl

I've never heard of people using tea in cakes. That's actually a good idea...

10/16/2010 #54
Thetis of White Isle

Yes, it is cake with green tea powder in it, or matcha, as they call it. It has a light and refreshing taste. It also has this really good green tea frosting recipe that's supposed to go on top, but this being a Chinese church, they do not care for sweetness...so the cake is n***.

Yeah, I do have a few recipes that use Earl Grey and a few other teas in breads and such. I do not like Earl Grey much; I prefer English breakfast. Maybe we should make a topic for food and tea and beverages and things like that! ^_^

As for the Facebook flame war that erupted on my page...well, here's a blow-by-blow summary: first, somebody posed this question: "Literature majors: quite possibly the most useless people in existence? Discuss." I replied doubly, saying that they were no more useless than political science majors, which was meant to be a gentle jab at his chosen profession.

On my Facebook status, I mentioned defending my territory, and the delicious irony of his statement. Another friend said that he had a point, and I was jokingly like, "Whose side are you on?" Then the initial poster got around to reading my post, and said he felt entitled to cast as many bricks at literature majors as he darn well pleased, saying that they were the most self-absorbed people alive. Other friend responds that the irony is indeed delicious. This provoked the war, which degenerated to such interesting topics as Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead, the funding of Ph.D majors being a major waste of tax dollar revenues, how the government should be run...yeah, you get the picture.

I actually enjoy an interesting discussion to an extent...but this got out of hand.

10/17/2010 #55
ZyggyGirl

My roomies are really into drinking green tea in the morning, but I'm not really into it...maybe I'll mention it to them. A vittles topic sounssd kinda good, actually.

Yep, Facebook arguments can swerve out of control rather quickly.

10/17/2010 #56
person is gone

I've heard of Earl Grey cakes, but have never had one! Personally, I'm quite a fan of Earl Grey, but have never tried English Breakfast... a recipe would be much welcome :D

Please don't look me up, find my address and chop me up into tiny little pieces for saying this, but I don't actually know what "use" literature majors serve, apart from in artistic ventures. Enlighten me? I'm no fan of political science either, but I see the point in politics... at least, a tiny tiny part of it.

10/17/2010 #57
ZyggyGirl

I don't actually know what "use" literature majors serve, apart from in artistic ventures. Enlighten me?

Actually, I second that, though I'm just curious. I've always believed that people can write well without a formal education in that field.

10/18/2010 #58
KittenOnTheKeys

I feel the same way about literature majors; unless you want to be a teacher, it's not especially useful. I feel this way about dance, music, and theater majors as well, which is why I'm not any of those things :P I am an English major, but that's only because I want to be a teacher.

10/18/2010 #59
ZyggyGirl

Well, they obviously have their uses.

10/18/2010 #60
« Prev Page 1 2 3 Next »
Forum Moderators: scharlie18
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member