Writer's group numero cinco
I don't know why number five. I bet you'd be really confused if I said 'setenta y cinco', wouldn't you?
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 .. Last Next »
scharlie18

I feel like we should start a game. Do something fun. I'm not sure what the game is, however. Any ideas?

6/29/2010 #1
Thetis of White Isle

I've got a couple of suggestions. :D

At the forum I moderate at, there's a few fun forum games we play. There's a "What Are You Reading?" thread, and "What are you Watching?" thread. (I think these are self-explanatory...)

I also like The Person Above? which we use arrows to talk to the people who post above and below us, and arrow pointing at ourselves to say stuff. Like for example, following your post...

^ I has idea to play The Person Above. ^_^ Is hungry. Boy, it's hot where I am. Had a bubble tea to cool off. v What do you like to drink in the summer time?

And so on and so forth. There's also threads where you tell your mood, or what music you're listening to at the moment. And there's another interesting one where we put, "What would you do if... insert random person showed up on your doorstep?" If you don't know the person, use Wikipedia to look 'em up. Like, "What would you do if Martha Stewart showed on your doorstep?" Answer: "Ask her for a good linzer torte recipe."

I think that's enough ideas...

6/29/2010 #2
scharlie18

I think that ^ the person above is psychic. Not only did she know when I would next read her post, but she also knew while reading her post, I would be eating dinner. I'm not even kidding. (You did say that I was hungry, right?) Freaky stuff we got going on here.

V - What on earth is a bubble tea? Never heard of it. Much less had one.

Oh, and I'm gonna start a "What are you watching?" thread. Someone needs to ask me what I'm watching. *nod*

6/29/2010 #3
Thetis of White Isle

^ Bubble tea is usually cold, but sometimes hot tea with giant tapioca balls at the bottom soaked in sugar syrup. Usually with milk, but not always. You can also make fruit smoothies (cantaloupe, strawberry, and avocado are popular flavors) with the tapioca too. It was a popular beverage that's a fairly recent creation--oh, about sixties or seventies in Hong Kong or Taiwan or thereabouts. You can also get them in coffee, or whatever drink you want if you want to make it yourself, like I do. :)

Actually, I said I was hungry. Fiction Press formatted my post wrong. Or I did. Probably a little of both. ^^;

Is actually not very Chinese. Can hardly speak the language. Quoth my brother, "Your pronunciation is crap."

Debating whether to work on Ordinary Girl or De Anima.

Do you play video games?

6/29/2010 #4
scharlie18

Guitar Hero rules my life. Well, no, not actually. I have a PS2 but it's been a while since I've used it. The only games I have on hand right now are GH 1-3. Like I said in the other post, I have FFX, but not here. But, I do have this amazing game (again, not here), but I'll be darned if I can remember what it's name is. I also have Kingdom Hearts, but again, I never beat it, and it's not here. I did beat the amazing game who's title I cannot remember.

Are you a PS2 gal? Or a video game fanatic? Because if so, you might know of the game I'm talking about. Maybe.

6/29/2010 #5
scharlie18

I FOUND IT! Not that it was hard. Anyways the amazing game was called Okami. Fantastic game. I loved it. Particularly because I'm not really very good at video games, but this was more of a game where there was a trick to every boss, and as soon as you figured out the trick, the boss was as good as dead. Man, it was beautiful.

6/29/2010 #6
Thetis of White Isle

^ To answer your question, I was an rpg fanatic since Super Mario RPG came into my life, though I've been a Zelda fan since...oh, the NES days. I had a SNES, then a PSone, a PS2. I couldn't afford the PS3, but someone purchased me a DSlite, which I adore. I don't really play as much as I used to, and I very rarely finish games.

Wondering where KittenOTK is...

Oh my, it's getting late here!

Should get back to writing...soon.

v Kingdom Heart fangirls can be very scary, no?

6/29/2010 #7
scharlie18

Lol, we had an NES. In fact, we've had (with the exception of the SNES) every single nintendo platform, at one point or another. (By 'we', I mean my brothers. And sometimes, me.)

Kitten said in a PM she sent me that she doesn't check her email that often, so...she probably hasn't been online. *shrugs*

I should start writing as well. But, eh, I don't feel like it. I will. Later.

And I have never had the unfortunate experience of encountering a KH fangirl, nevermind a scary one. Haha :P

6/29/2010 #8
scharlie18

So, I have a question. When I get around to reading De Anima, (probably in the morning) how/where do you want your comments/critique on the story? I'm a little unsure of how to do this.

6/29/2010 #9
Thetis of White Isle

My preferred method would be as a comment on my LJ, as FP is not the place to comment on fanfic. I think I have it open to guests, but if not, I'll make sure that I do. If you can't do it that way, I guess you'll just have to PM me or something. Or, if it comes that, maybe you could post it on this forum. But the first method would be the most desirable by far.

6/29/2010 #10
scharlie18

Okeydokey. :) I should get on that. Murph.

6/30/2010 #11
Thetis of White Isle

Spammity, spammity, spam...! Oh, by the way, thanks so much for reading chapter one of De Anima. I hope the corrections I've made improve the piece...is there anything else of yours that you're working on that you particularly want me to do something in-depth on before posting?

6/30/2010 #12
scharlie18

Not a problem. I really enjoy beta-reading, and I didn't have to force myself to read De Anima at all. :D Nice job!

Nothing I'm working on right now, though I really should start something up. If you wanted to review something, then feel free to review whatever you want. I'd appreciate it. :)

So, I'm not sure which forum this is (the spam one?), but I don't really think it matters. We've gotten off-topic in all of them, so, it's cool. Anyways, I have a favor to ask. There's this poem idea that I've had in my head for about a month now. Problem is, all I really have is one line. I'm looking for inspiration. So, here's a question I'd like to ask of you: what do you think of when I say the word 'night'? What about the word 'dark'? Feel free to ramble! :)

7/1/2010 #13
Thetis of White Isle

Hmm...night...or dark...? Together? I've heard the phrase night-dark eyes, or the velvet tones of a voice, whispered into one's ears, like secrets at a girls' sleepover with a blanket over the sky, the color of midnight, or as soft as eiderdown. Of the dreams that are imagined at night, recycled material of the stuff of day, except colored by a darker tint, or perhaps almost silvery with luminosity. In the winter, nighttime makes me think of being wrapped in a homemade quilt, sitting near the heat, rubbing cold hands together, and during the summer, lying out in sometimes moist grass, watching the fireflies flicker on and off in twilight, sometimes with a campfire, roasting marshmallows until they catch on fire.

If you don't want to go that route, since I had a habit in astronomy growing up, and night and darkness reminds me of trips to vacation on islands where the light pollution was less than in the city, so I could see better. The constellation of Orion, the view of the Milky Way from the inside-out.

Those are just off the top of my head. If you need any further suggestions, I'll see what I can do.

7/2/2010 #14
scharlie18

That was perfect. The first paragraph itself was more poetry than prose. You could have written your own poem with that. It's definitely given me ideas to mull over. Thank you!

On a side note, I love this line: Of the dreams that are imagined at night, recycled material of the stuff of day, except colored by a darker tint, or perhaps almost silvery with luminosity. It's made me decide that I want my poem, whatever it's about, to have a dream-like, ethereal quality to it. I love that the words 'night' and 'dark' reminded you of whispered secrets.

What are night-dark eyes? I love the poetry of the phrase, but I have no idea what you mean by that.

7/2/2010 #15
Thetis of White Isle

I guess all I meant was eyes that were as dark as the night sky, or you could have any colored eyes, that were made darkened by the lack of sunlight to draw out the shimmer you usually get, especially that pinpoint of light you make whichever the direction the light, be it natural or artificial, is coming from. I took a human figure drawing class about a year ago and you literally make a dot in the iris/pupil area that's lighter than even the whites of your eyes, there to show the light source. (My eyes still look like footballs though, rather than eyeballs. ^^;)

Also, it's a known phenomenon that your pupils dilate, or expand, when you're with someone you like. Or so I've heard. So that can make your eyes darker too.

Ooh, the dream, stream-of-consciousness style? When you're done with that, I really, really want to see it!

7/2/2010 #16
scharlie18

I read (somewhere - I forget where, and that makes me question how credible my source was) that your pupils dilate when you're sexually aroused.

I actually just had another idea: night eyes. Random story time (but I have a point here, and I just am not sure how else to describe this): I used to have a cat, named Cammy, short for Camouflage, because she was jet black (save for a white streak down her stomach). For the first two weeks after we got her, she hid. I swear, we didn't see her at all. I'd go looking for her, and whenever I found her, under a bed or something, I wouldn't see her - I'd see two yellow, oval slits, maybe a faint outline of her, but her eyes were how you knew you had found her. That's what I mean by night eyes - those yellow oval slits that almost seem like they aren't attached to a body. Maybe, instead of yellow, they'll be red. I'm not sure yet. I do know that this is shaping up to be a great horror poem. :D

I'm going to type in 'night' and 'dark' into Google. Just for kicks.

7/2/2010 #17
scharlie18

ZOMG! http://th09.deviantart.net/fs24/300W/i/2008/020/6/9/NIGHT_EYES_by_White_Mamba.jpg Perfect....

7/2/2010 . Edited 7/2/2010 #18
scharlie18

So, I found an index of "dark" baby names. ?? According to the description, they are Gothic baby names. One of the names for girls is Misericordia. I couldn't spell that, so I had to copy and paste it in, and now my text is all funky. Anyways, I feel really sorry for any girl with that name. Yeesh. It looks like a combination of "misery" and "accordian".

I really hope no one with that name chose now to view this topic.

7/2/2010 #19
scharlie18

And some of the baby names for boys make more sense (to me, anyways) for a girl. Like, Nebula. Or Enigma. With the 'a' at the end, it sounds so...feminine.

Okay, so Damien I expected to be on the list. But...Victor? Noooo.....Lynk? Certainly not. (Even with the 'y', it's still Link, which is so...Legend of Zelda, so commericialized, that I can't picture it as a Gothic name.)

7/2/2010 #20
scharlie18

OMG one of the names is Salvation. I can just picture a kid going up to someone and saying, "I am your Salvation." O_O

7/2/2010 #21
scharlie18

Definition of darkle v. i. - To grow dark; to show indistinctly

I've never heard of the word 'darkle'

7/2/2010 #22
Thetis of White Isle

Gothic baby names? Hoo boy, the lists that exist out there...and I thought the list of console rpg cliches was extensive. The names don't sound very Gothic to me...

Misericordia is seriously a name? Ew...

Darkle is a really cool word. If you were trying to come up with a word salad for darkness and night...hmm...hey...uh, what kind of night are we referring to anyway? The whole process of night, or just when evening falls, or pitch-black midnight, or dawn? Or anywhere in between? But back to the word salad...cool, moist, frigid, descent, ascent, twinkle, wink, moon, lunar, crescent, waxing, waning, full, new, twilight, pale, shadows, hidden, secret, clandestine, shimmer, bright, luminescent, water, cold, firefly, barbecue, smoke, beach, sands, leeched, colorless, dyed, fair, maiden, flaxen, stun, softened, hesitance, stillness, leisurely...well, I should ask before going any further...

By the way, are you interesting in reading chapter two and three of De Anima? I've honestly tried looking betas before, but I've had no luck whatsoever. And your comments were very helpful. Also, I'm willing to do an in-depth beta on whatever poem or story you create next.

7/2/2010 #23
scharlie18

Hmmmm...sure. I'll do it tomorrow. In fact, I'll beta for De Anima in general. :) Tomorrow, or perhaps the day after. Soon, at any rate.

Speaking of which, I still have to go over there and read the changes you made.

I love the word salad. This really helps. (I'm getting really excited about this.) I know generally what I want to do, and I think once I start it, I'll know/figure out where I'm going with it. I...just have to start it. That, however, is much, much easier said than done. I have the next three days off (pretty much, at any rate), so I'll try some things then. I'm too tired now. *yawn*

I found this awesome site. morewords (dot) com It's great. They give you the definition (mostly), anagrams, words you can make out of the word you have, all sorts of things. It's how I found darkle. Which is an amazing word. I would use it in the poem I'm going to write, but I'd fear that no one would know what I meant.

So, I'm going to bed. Goodnight. :)

I could use a second word salad though, one for fear.

Thanks! :D

7/2/2010 #24
Thetis of White Isle

Yay for word salads! Hmm...fear? Let's see...

Trepidation, palpitations, heartbeat, unsteadily, waiting, tension, clammy, sweat, scent, widened, stress, chills, stomach, flip-flops, churning, queasiness, constricted, panic, fatigue, tight, squeezed, fists, constricted, cold, icicles, back, feverish, bright, burning, spiders, death, futility, anger, unfairness, unknown, overextended, exhaustion, father, hate, distaste, yelling, screaming, running, primordial, rage, soreness, wind, aching, stomachache, hunger, baseness, cowardice...

That should be a good start, I think.

7/2/2010 #25
scharlie18

That's great. Thanks a lot! :)

Okay, chapter 2 of De Anima. Here we go...;)

7/3/2010 #26
Thetis of White Isle

Thank you for the beta-read! I'll get around to fixing the errors ASAP. I post a chapter every three weeks, so chapter three won't be up for a while, but if you don't mind me sending it via the beta-read system on FP I can do that. I think I want to have it proofread before I send it out, so I don't have to subject anyone else to these errors. This okay with you? I haven't used the beta read system in a while, so I'm not sure how it works...

7/3/2010 #27
scharlie18

NP. :) I thought chapter three was up already, so I was all confused.

That's fine. I read the email FP sent me (with your post) and then went to create a connection thingy, which is waiting for your confirmation. :)

7/3/2010 #28
Thetis of White Isle

I added three additional scenes to chapter two. Boy, I did not expect that. I'm thinking of adding stuff to three, but maybe I'll wait 'til tomorrow morning. I'm tired now. x_x

By the way, KittenOTK is still with us! She just couldn't find her way back.

7/3/2010 #29
scharlie18

Have you posted the changes to chap2? :) You didn't expect what?

*nod* I know about Kitten. Did she PM you? Is that how she found her way back?

7/4/2010 . Edited 7/4/2010 #30
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: scharlie18
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member