Writer's group numero cinco
I don't know why number five. I bet you'd be really confused if I said 'setenta y cinco', wouldn't you?
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
scharlie18

What I am doing? Absolutely nothing. (Someone needs to ask me what I'm watching before I burst....)

6/29/2010 #1
Thetis of White Isle

What are you watching? :)

To be honest, I hardly watch any TV myself these days. I personally don't like to sit still that long, not even for half hour. I would rather be doing something like reading, writing, or even arithmetic. That's how much I dislike most TV. Meh.

6/29/2010 #2
scharlie18

YOU!!

No, I'm j/k. I just had to say that. (It was funny in my head...and still kind of is. Haha. *eye roll* You know, sometimes, I really am worse than some twelve year olds.)

And yes, I realize that was kinda creeper. My deepest apologies that you had to endure that.

I don't really watch a lot of TV either. I have a couple shows I like to watch, and that's pretty much it. Not big on the movie scene, either.

I have absolutely nothing to add to this forum. I'm not watching anything, I'm not reading anything (well, I'm trying to read Ayn Rand, but it's not coming along too well), I'm not doing anything interesting. The only reason I created this forum was so that I could get you (or Kitten, but I haven't heard from her) to ask me what I was watching. I'm good, now, thanks.

6/29/2010 #3
scharlie18

And by forum, I mean topic.

6/29/2010 #4
Thetis of White Isle

Well, I'll try to outline some of the books I'm reading...uh... (Ooh, we could be here a while.)

Started reading Boccaccio's Decameron, because we read some of it in world masterpieces last semester. My former professor also suggested it to me, and what I read before (Ceperello, patient Griselda...and that baldy tale in the French style were really neat, so I'm heading into this with high hopes.) I like the writing style...I think that's why my stuff is so florid that it's downright ultraviolet purple. Eek.

Also reading Miyuki Miyabe's The Book of Heroes. It's not difficult reading, but it's very rich, like cheesecake. If you have too much at once, it makes you kind of go, "Whoa, overload." O.o; And plus, it's really neat, and I want to make it last as long as I can. Sort of like how you savor chocolate. Makes me want to go read her other stuff, like Brave Story.

I also have an anthology that's called Stories and Poems for Extremely Intelligent Children of All Ages. (Mouthful, ain't it?) It's exactly what it says it is--an anthology of children's literature that isn't dumbed down, which is sadly very scarce these days. It follows the model of dividing the stories into seasons, by the old literary thematic tradition--spring for humor, summer for romance, autumn for tragedy, and winter for certain kinds of irony. I really recommend this, if you want to see some good children's stuff of yesteryear.

I've picked up The Blind Side but haven't started it yet, and started Steinbeck's The Red Pony some time ago, but I have not actually finished that. Bad habit.

If you just watch a few select shows, what are those select shows? I've seen bits and pieces of The Next Food Network Star, but I don't like reality TV much either. I used to like King of the Hill (it was actually a very clever little show) and The Simpsons (back before they jumped the shark.) But I don't watch either anymore.

6/29/2010 #5
scharlie18

Ugh, I never liked shows like The Simpsons or Family Guy. I just never understood the humor.

I like Fringe, but its a little weird. It's like CSI meets The Twilight Zone. And, like a lot of shows, they say things that aren't true, but unlike other shows, I actually pick up on the things that they get wrong. And that annoys me, but I like the show enough to keep watching it. (The season ended on a fantastic cliff hanger. Omg, it was so good. *captivated stare*)

I love Glee. But, I actually like the songs better than the show. Haha.

Oh, this summer is the third season of Leverage. :D Amazing show. It's like Robin Hood in the modern world. I love it.

You read some really intense books. None of those sound like books I would ever pick up. I'm more of an action/mystery/thriller/romance (and some fantasy) kind of person. (Unless, I'm on FP. Then, romance all the way, baby!)

Stories and Poems actually reminds me. I found an original, unabridged version of Grimm's Fairy Tales (or whatever the title was) one year. Fascinating read, to compare the originals with the modernized versions. Did you know that in the original Cinderella, the stepsisters cut off parts of their feet (at the insistance of their mother, no less) in order to fit their feet into the shoe? And then, at the end, they get their eyes pecked out by crows. It was great. I don't think I would pick up Stories and Poems, though. I really am more of a action/mystery/etc person.

6/29/2010 #6
Thetis of White Isle

The Simpsons used to be quite good. It actually wasn't as crass and cartoonish, and actually had a softer, sentimental side that I was quite fond of. And there were some awesome quotes from it too, and the writing for each episodes was very clever and well-thought out. Now it's just idiotic and vapid. To paraphrase a quote from one of the long-time writers, "An old episode would have Marge and Homer walking off in the sunset, embracing. Now, Homer would probably shoot Marge with a blow dart in the arm."

My favorite episode is probably the one where Homer meets his mother for the first time in over twenty years. That was so sweet.

Family Guy was always just too over the top for me. There's just too much cynicism and backstabbing and cruelty on most American media for me. I guess I'm too gentle-hearted.

Hey, I read some 'normal' popular stuff too...like...uh, Harry Potter. Loved Harry Potter. I don't get the Twilight popularity though, and believe me I tried to understand it. I read a lot of classics, admittedly. I don't really read in specific genres, other than I find vampires trite and overdone, so obviously, I'm not into any supernatural stuff. I do like me some romance, but then again, I find so many of the romances I read unconvincing. If it's beautifully written, I am there. If not, if it has a merit like meaty plot, or fascinating characters...you get the idea.

I've read non-fiction like Fermat's Last Theorem (about a three hundred year old unsolved geometry proof,) The Piano Shop on the Left Bank, to classics like the Aeneid or Don Quixote, to modern stuff like The Other Boleyn Girl and Memoirs of a Geisha. Not all of them are really 'intense' I would think.

I am familiar with the original Cinderella. You should check out Hans Christian Anderson's The Little Mermaid in its original form; for one, the little mermaid doesn't get the prince. She dies and turns to sea foam. I saw a cartoon version of it that was true to the original ending--not the Disney version--and I was like eight at the time. Horrified.

6/29/2010 #7
scharlie18

Wow, that's pretty much exactly how I feel about the Simpsons (idiotic and vapid - I don't know about the sentimental thing).

I loved Harry Potter. I remember the day I first started reading the first book. I was eight (I think), and I was so bored, that I picked up an adult romance/mystery novel to read. (I didn't realize it was an adult novel - I just saw the mystery part). Fortunately, my mom caught me before I started to read it. I can only imagine what an eye opener that would have been, especially for someone as naive as I was. And then, my dad came by and said, "Hey, you should read this. I think you'll like it."

I loved the Twilight series, but I hate the movies. Can't stand them. And I agree, the vampire thing has gone entirely too far. It's completely ridiculous.

And I meant the word 'intense' in comparison to what I read, which ranges from very, very easy reading to medium-easy reading. (Seriously, one of my favorite mystery series ever is written for junior high. It's really kind of pathetic.) Yeesh, my mom would love you. She's always trying to get me to read things that are more difficult.

I will have to see if I can find a copy of the original Little Mermaid. Hmmm....

6/30/2010 #8
Thetis of White Isle

The 'good' episodes of The Simpsons were back at around before season nine, over a decade ago. A perfect example of the softer side was the episode when they explain why there are no baby pictures of Maggie.

I tried reading some of the Midnight Sun that was online, and I gave up about five pages in because I didn't like Edward's narration. I guess it was too much suspension of disbelief involved on my part. None of the characters appealed to me. As for the writing itself...it made me gag.

Harry Potter I didn't want to get into at first, but then I picked up the first book while traversing on a vacation. I was surprised in a good way, and that was history. I went out and bought up to the third book (which was all they had up to that point.)

Difficult reading? Hmmm...some of it is, I guess. Stay the heck away from Nabokov's The Gift, if you don't like to be utterly confused. I have to say that Lolita was gorgeous reading, however. And if you think that 'adult' books are intense reading, I wouldn't say that. There's everything to the steak dinner of reading to the...uh, I guess the Twinkie of fiction. Believe me, there's something for everyone out there. I personally can't read most modern children's literature for the precise reason that most of them aren't even worth the turn of a page.

6/30/2010 #9
scharlie18

I read Midnight Sun. Well, the bit that was online. Loved it. I've read it a couple times since.

Didn't you say somewhere that you didn't like the Twilight series? If you knew that you didn't like the Twilight series, why did you read Midnight Sun?

Lol, this is random, but I remember when the fourth book had just come out, my grandmother bought it, and some guy tried to buy it from her for like $50. She turned him down, and then proceeded to give the book to me when she saw me a few days later. :D

Today? I have no problem reading adult books, but to a 8 year old who thinks that babies are conceived by pills, explicit sex is an eye-opener.

You've inspired me to start reading again. I tried to read a couple Dean Koontz books a couple weeks ago, but I had to put one down as it was hitting a sore spot, and the other I put down because the main character's 8 y.o son had just been murdered, and I had to give it a little break. I just never picked either back up, though I fully intended to. Maybe I'll go back to one of them, I don't know. Probably pick up something else, though. (I think, though, I'm going to cheat and look up what happens in the first Koontz book online. I'm not really interested in reading the book, I just want to know how it ends.)

I also have to comment on De Anima. I read it before lunch, but then I had to go before I had a chance to beta it.

6/30/2010 #10
Thetis of White Isle

I thought that Midnight Sun was apart of the Twilight series? Well, it has the same author, and it's the same story as the first book, just in Edward's POV? Correct me if I'm wrong. I never read Twilight, but I do know what happens in it, and I just can't stand Stephenie Meyer's actual prose. I find it appalling that she got published at all. Or, like that Paolini kid, whose father had all those publishing company connections, and got published that way. Meh.

Oh, adult books! I thought when you said adult books, you meant literature for grown-ups, not...well, literary p***. Sorry!

I should finish The Red Pony. But I just got so upset after book one, that I put it down and couldn't look at it anymore. *cries*

6/30/2010 #11
scharlie18

Midnight Sun is (sort of) part of a different series. But, if you knew you didn't like the author, then why would Midnight Sun be any different? I don't get it.

Would it surprise you to learn that I love the Inheritance series (Paolini's series of books)? I think the only books that we have actually agreed on (as of yet, at any rate) is Harry Potter.

That's what I figured you thought. It's okay, I wasn't that clear, so...*shrugs* (You know, the word 'p o r n' only showed up when I went to reply. Before that, it was **. *eye roll* The censor thing is kind of ridiculous. I understand it, but, still.)

I'm probably going to stay away from The Red Pony, then. I get really upset really easily, as far as books go. I read this book once where one of the main characters dies at the end, and I got so upset, I had to hide the book so I would stop thinking about it. I get sad, yes, but I get more angry than anything else. Specifically, angry at the author(s) for killing said character. And I obsess about it. Blech.

7/1/2010 #12
Thetis of White Isle

Midnight Sun was my first attempt to read her writing. About Stephenie Meyer...I tried. I really did. First, I heard a large variety of comments about her ranging from "best thing since they added cream and sugar to chocolate" to "cracktastic" to "you will gouge your eyes out reading this." I've read plot synopses and other summaries and reviews from people who read the books, and it was like, "Story of whiny Mary Sue who falls in love with vampire that sparkles in sunlight." So I looked around, my brother brought home the first movie, and I was like, "If Bella acted like this around people in real life, she wouldn't be nearly as popular. Actually, I have trouble believing she'd have friends at all." Unwilling to spend thirty dollars on a hardcover book I know I would not like the plot of, or the characters of, I thought maybe if, Meyer had actually created a convincing world with her writing, maybe there was something redeeming about this. So I downloaded Midnight Sun.

Some thoughts were: isn't Edward like a hundred years old or something? It seemed his mental age was stuck there too. He's alternating between boredly superior over these lowly peons known as the human race, and practically spitting with contempt about his own family. Not only would I have to put with this sort of narration for...what, over five hundred pages? I'd have to suffer through a kind of style of writing that also doesn't inspire confidence. It didn't draw me in. It didn't make me feel like I was right there, like other people have claimed it would. I was bored. I was disgusted. So, I put it down, and opened some good ole James Joyce. Never touching anything by Meyer again. Why should I force myself to read vampire romance, if I like none of the above? (Well, romance is okay. If you can actually do it. I can't, and have yet to meet anyone that can.)

Inheritance? It was diverting. It wasn't terrible to me. But what struck me the most about it was the fact that I forgot what it was about...two weeks within reading it? And yet I still remember the short fantasy story I read about the Dragonriders of Pern in the sixth grade. That isn't a mark of a good story, if Inheritance is as forgettable as that. Maybe it was just too generic?

Hope I don't offend with my opinion. I don't mean to be sharp about it, but I really, really try to see if something's good before I decide to dislike it. So I don't dislike without good reason.

Don't get me wrong; The Red Pony is prettily written and realistic and gritty. But it's about a young boy that gets his first pony--then it dies from sickness. I'm sure there's more to it after that, but I couldn't bear to watch the aftermath. Maybe after I finish the Decameron. If you don't like stories where characters die, you probably won't like Jack London's To Build a Fire either. Main character freezes to death in that one.

7/2/2010 #13
Thetis of White Isle

Whoops, did I say James Joyce? I meant to say Henry James. I hate James Joyce. Ook, that was an apocalyptic blunder. :o

7/2/2010 #14
scharlie18

You didn't offend me. I don't agree, but you are allowed to have your own opinion. Unlike my brother, who recently told one of my friends that she fails at life because she wants to go see Eclipse. You can get into a huge argument with him on opinions, and the argument will always end with him believing not only that he is right, you are wrong, but that you're an idiot for having opinion X on subject Y. #%$^#$$#%#$#%#$^. Siblings really suck sometimes, you know? (Though, there are some people so crazy about Twilight, I don't find it hard to believe that they would take offense if they were to read your thoughts on Twilight/Meyer. I'm not one of them.) I'm glad that you made such an effort to like the series, though. :)

And again, our opinions on books differ. I tried to read a couple books by Anne McCaffrey, and I just didn't like them. Which disappointed me - our library had a huge selection of them, and I picked a couple up thinking that if I liked her, I would have reading material for months. I started one book, and had absolutely no desire to finish it. It didn't captivate me. I tried a couple others, but it was the same.

*shudder* Grisly deaths make me gag. I can't stand them. There's a TV show called '1000 Ways to Die', and an acquaintance was talking about it. I had to excuse myself. I'm still gagging. I once tried to read a D*** Francis book, and I really liked it, but I had to put it down, not because anyone had died (yet - it was a murder mystery...I think), but because the main character was in such pain. My problem is empathy. When I'm watching a movie (not so much for books), and a character something stupid/embarrassing, and it's funny and everyone laughs, I don't. I get embarrassed for the character in question. A lot of the time, I end up more embarrassed than they are. I put myself in their shoes, and then I can see myself doing the stupid action, freezing to death, in extreme pain, etc, and I have to stop, or, as in the case of embarrassing movie moments, cover my eyes. (The weird part is that I have all this empathy for fictional characters, and very little for actual people. Hmmmm....)

But, on a more ironic note, if the main character freezes to death in a book titled To Build a Fire, obviously, the book is a fail. ;) (I know that the author meant it like that. But, it still amuses me.)

Oh, on a very random note, did you know that as a moderator, I can ban myself from the forum? (I dunno if I actually can. But, I can select the option of 'Ban this user' when I click on the 'Mod' link underneath one of my comments.) This makes me smile. :D

7/2/2010 #15
Thetis of White Isle

That was actually a short story. It was really terrifying towards the end, though...

But...if you ban yourself, I'll have no one to talk to! Oh no!

7/2/2010 #16
scharlie18

LOL. I love the jab at Kitten, btw. But, I think we lost her. She's MIA. We shall mourn the loss of the contribution she could have made, the reviews she could have posted, the LIVES she could have TOUCHED!! *ends with a dramatic flourish*

Poor, sweet KittenOnTheKeys....

7/2/2010 #17
KittenOnTheKeys

Glad you missed me so much *roll eyes* lol

It took me a long time to be able to admit that I couldn't find a way back to the forum, since I think I accidentally unsubscribed from e-mail notifications or something somehow....*is frustrated with still trying to figure out the site* It would seem from all of this that I'm extremely stupid about all things internet but the thing is I'm not; I design websites for crying out loud!

[/rant]

^_^

7/4/2010 #18
scharlie18

This little kitten has her mitten, but she lost her way to the forum.

"Oh, scharlie18, don't be mean," she said. "But the forum I can't find.

It might be weird, but it's confusing, this website here, and it's websites I design!"

"What? Lost your way, you naughty KittenOTK.

But, us who are here, you don't have to fear - we don't think you're dumb."

So, this little kitten put on her mitten, and the way to the forum she found!

"Oh, moderator scharlie, I'm here, finally. I have found the site.

It took me a while," she said with a smile, "so celebrate, I might."

"KittenOnTheKeys! Celebrate, oh please.

Add to your glory, and post a new story, the likes of which will astound."

That took a while. The rhythm is kind of off in places, and some of the rhymes...well, *shrugs* but it's not bad. I rather enjoyed that. (Though, I had took look up the kittens/mittens rhyme. Even then, I took some liberties.) :D

Hmmpph. I really wanted to not have those huge spaces between lines, but FP won't let me. *growls*

7/4/2010 . Edited 7/4/2010 #19
Thetis of White Isle

The forums don't let you have single-spaced paragraphs for some annoying reason. At least the poems let you shift over when you submit poems.

7/4/2010 #20
scharlie18

Yeah, I've noticed. Trust me. Sucks. *scowl*

7/4/2010 #21
Thetis of White Isle

Oh, and thank you for the sweet review on Ordinary Girl, KittenOTK! Sonata I was surprised you clicked on, 'cause practically nobody wanted to touch that.

7/4/2010 #22
KittenOnTheKeys

scharlie, that just completely made so many of my days! :)

No problem! I really enjoy your writing style, it reminds me of Victorian literature somehow for some reason. Sonata, particularly, completely fascinated me. Probably because nobody wanted to touch that but you chose to take the road less traveled.

7/4/2010 #23
scharlie18

Kitten - np. I was inspired, and I enjoyed it. :D I'm glad you liked it.

I really should read Ordinary Girl. I meant to, I just...didn't get around to it, and then forgot. *embarrassed* Whoops.

7/5/2010 #24
KittenOnTheKeys

Also, I did post a new story - two, actually. I'm in the process of typing up what I'm working on at the moment; I have to write my work by hand, otherwise I can't focus as well for some reason.

7/5/2010 #25
scharlie18

YAY! I'm on my way to the lake right now (ugh, hot days), but I'll read it/them when I get back. :)

7/5/2010 #26
KittenOnTheKeys

Nice, I wish I was on my way to the lake! I need to swim in some kind of body of water at some point during this summer.

7/5/2010 #27
Thetis of White Isle

It was a hundred and five where I was. Blargh.

Lemme see if I can't get around to reviewing your stuff, KittenOTK! I can't wait to see them. I'm going to be busy until Monday night, so sorry if my visits are sporadic...

I write like Victorian literature? Really? That's...I don't know what that is. You seem to enjoy it, but there were some that complained in Love Letters that the high school kids talked like adults. Bah, slang and colloquialisms. _;

I actually prefer to type my stories. I have a lot of trouble focusing when there's a blank page in front of me. I can get going, but when I sit down to transfer it to computer, it makes me edit a lot more. Which is probably a good thing, but it's kinda uncomfortable for me to type stuff up because there's...not a lot of space in this room. ^^;

Swimming...aah...I wish I could have gone swimming today. So hot. ^.^;

7/5/2010 #28
KittenOnTheKeys

I'm not sure what it is either or even specifically why that thought struck me. It just reminds me of what might happen if someone took Victorian-era writing and modernized it. I didn't read Love Letters but particularly in Ordinary Girl the internal monologue voice of the character seemed to fit because she was supposed to be so mature, almost "overly" so.

I'm really worried about slang and such myself, but it's because I'm writing about a main character who's supposed to not only be British (which I'm not) but also have a Cockney accent. I'm not writing his accent into the dialogue really, though, because I think it would be too distracting, so I just describe him as having an accent without actually spelling it out.

7/5/2010 #29
scharlie18

It's incredibly hot here. Well, for me, anyways. And, we don't have air conditioning. Thus - everyone goes swimming.

Ugh, 105? I think I'd melt. Yuck.9

I don't have a preference for how to write up...well, whatever I'm writing. (I grabbed my notebook and took it down to the lake to attempt to write a poem idea that I can't get out of my head. I didn't really get very far. I have the last two lines, which are epic, btw, and a random assortment of lines. Probably going to have to start all over. Mfajdsjfladjllklkdskdskdlkmfdlk.) Paper I like when a. I can't use the computer and/or b. I'm not exactly sure what I'm writing.

Victorian literature? Really? Now, I really have to read Ordinary Girl.

7/6/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: scharlie18
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member