Writer's group numero cinco
I don't know why number five. I bet you'd be really confused if I said 'setenta y cinco', wouldn't you?
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
person is gone

All right, so I thought I'd ask each of you... what're you really working on at the moment? What do you want reviews on? What's your angle on the whole idea of writing? ^^

Personally, I'm trying to find my *style* o_o Does anyone else feel this? I've written in loads of different styles... serious, playful, humourous, romantic (kinky), dramatic... trying to find what feels natural and what really fits to me. Right now I'm on fantasy humour, but it might warp sometime into sci-fi humour. Shall post something later today, hopefully - anyone interested in reading?

7/15/2010 #1
scharlie18

Ummm...well. I'm working on a couple things - a poem, an entry for a weekly writing challenge I enter every week (well, I try to), and a superhero/action/humor story titled Sketch and the Evil Mastermind. You can review it if you want, but I'm not really looking for reviews right now.

I'm sort of playing around, like you, Stardancere, but not because I'm trying to find something that fits. More because I just want to try different things. And because, I get ideas in my head that won't go away until I write about them.

I will (probably) read your story, but it will probably have to wait until this evening. Well, my evening - I dunno when your evening is. So, really, either this evening or tomorrow morning. What's the title?

7/15/2010 #2
person is gone

Superhero/action/humor sounds great :) I'll probably have a look at it sometime anyway.

Yeah, well I'm kinda looking for the writing style that simply is most natural to me. With serious storylines and scenes, no matter how invested I am in the characters and emotions bouncing around, I get bored of all the drama and move onto more interesting things too quickly. I think I've translated my mind into fiction in the fantasy stories I'm working on right now (there are a few with different characters, all connected so far by random events - I'm bringing the world in my head into shape before I launch into anything more ambitious than short stories). There's quite a bit of crude, black humour in there XD I uploaded one, the one I like best so far, Dart the Deckhand. Hopefully I can finish writing it tonight. T'would be good since next week I'm away on holiday and will be absent from all things internet-y!

I'm figuring, with this style of writing, some people will like it and some people will think it's just crap =/ We'll see, I guess.

Yes, we live in very different time zones ^^ Right now is my late afternoon!

7/15/2010 #3
person is gone

(On a side note; for anyone who does read that, Darthader is just a dunce of a name until I can think up a better one XD I had star wars on the brain that day...)

7/15/2010 #4
scharlie18

Whenever I do serious stories, I make sure to insert a character that is more humorous, the comic relief. Partially, because I just have a sarcastic nature, and I usually feel the need to insert that into my stories. (I write serious poems, but those are too short to count.)

I think that with anything, there's going to be some people who just don't like it. The key is to make sure that you, the author, are one of the people who likes it, and then, you'll be all set.

If you post it tonight (your tonight), then I will probably read it after dinner (you are a couple hours ahead of me, so we're not that far off).

Ugh, Stars Wars. I never understood the craze.

7/15/2010 #5
person is gone

Star Wars! Yes, it's terrible, but I'm just a general sci-fi geek and Star Wars appealed to that :)

Oh yeah, some people won't like it, but what I was meaning was that I don't think there'll be much of a middle ground. I think with that kind of story you either like or don't like at all XD

I once had someone describe that kind of character as a carrot. I have no idea why she called it a carrot, but a carrot was just something that you put in a story to spur you onwards... i.e. a funny character, an odd scene, an exciting description, a sexy encounter... I guess I just like carrots too much. I think what I'm writing is the equivalent of a carrot-puree Oo For me, anyway. I have too much fun writing it.

What do you like to write best?

7/15/2010 #6
Thetis of White Isle

*raises hand* I am a carrot fan as well. My mom was born in the year of the rabbit, and they are among her favorite animals, and she calls herself a rabbit and all that. That--I was going somewhere with that, but I'm not sure where.

I'm currently working on De Anima, a fanfic based on a fandom so rare that it bleeds: an obscure Enix rpg for the SNES called Mystic Ark. Since it's one of them novelization deals, you don't need to have played the game, or heard of it, to get into the story. scharlie18 is currently proofreading it (and doing an awesome job) but I would be interested in what other people thought of it. There's a master post on my LJ, which you can find on my profile.

Also on Fiction Press, I'm very slowly posting a story called Ordinary Girl. It's...drama. I guess for me, if I don't like have some definitive reason to read the story, be it excellent writing, solid characters, or an interesting proposal imparted in the message, or else I lose interest. I like sharp, well-written dialogue, as well some plotting, and I can take a variety of settings.

I'm pretty picky about what I like. I'm trying to find what style works for me, but I find myself shifting a lot, depending on mood (not a good thing) or what kind of story it is. (Which I suppose makes sense.) I don't like it when people dumb down their writing just to make it more 'accessible' to the average reader. If they can't get everything, then they can still enjoy it on another level, can't they? This is particularly applicable to children's literature, where it's prevalent.

Oh, I am toying with writing a nonfiction novel for this contest at http:// she writes .com ? Something like that. I forget the exact address, but they're offering to help people get published if they can write a good nonfiction proposal. I may have not mentioned it yet, but I also like nonfiction too. I am omnivorous. ^_~

7/15/2010 #7
scharlie18

I have a love/hate relationship with carrots. I love to eat them, but when I am required to weed carrots, they can go to hell. (It takes you FOREVER to figure out which is grass/weeds and which is carrots, and you still end up pulling up carrots, no matter how careful you are. Stupid little fricking stupid things!)

White Isle, I don't understand what you mean when you say that it's so rare it bleeds. I don't get it. *whoosh: sound of something flying over my head. An altogether not uncommon sound*

I checked out the address. It is www. she writes . com. There's a little tabby thing that says "Contests" up near the top of the home page. ('Tabby thing. And this girl writes?" you say) And, there you go. And, I think that if you have something you can send them, then you should go for it. Only thing you have to lose is $15, which, really isn't that much.

What do I enjoy writing? Well, I dunno. I enjoy...writing, I guess. It changes. Right now, I'm on a serious poetry kick. But, I also enjoy writing serious prose, humorous prose, romance stories, adventure stories (okay, so I have one. But, still, I'm enjoying writing it), and...well, I think that pretty much sums up everything I write. I don't know if I could do Sci-Fi, though. Maybe. At any rate, I don't have a plot for a Sci-Fi story, so...whatever.

7/15/2010 #8
Thetis of White Isle

Ah, the foibles the gardening. My parents have a love of all things green (and not the recycling bit.) This has had rather mixed results. We have a garden of all sorts of exotic vegetables of which I have of clue how to romanize, flower beds full of flowers, and since we have no green house, our indoors is being run amuck with all sorts of orchid (Ma's favorite flowers,) a rare blossom that only opens for a night once a year, some herbs, and something which looks like a potted...well, tree.

So rare it bleeds? Stole that one. It means it's so rare that it bleeds like rare meat. Y'know, like a steak that's still pink in the middle, and...yeah.

It's hard to say what I really enjoy writing. I don't really enjoy it so much that it's a compulsion. You will probably hear me say that frequently. I do love to edit, which sadly I don't get to do enough of. Time constraints.

7/15/2010 #9
L. W. Perry

I am working on a historical psycho-horror story called Starling. I have written just about every genre. I've had fantasy, historical, religious, romance, young adult, horror, sci-fi. I've experimented with genre a bit more than style. For Harlow Summerford, I was going for more of a Chuck Palahnuik/Stephen King thing. With Starling, I was going for a more Victorian/Oscar Wilde thing.

I don't think I've really found my niche yet. Considering that my two active stories are so completely different and I've gotten praise on both of them for two different things....

7/15/2010 #10
scharlie18

Lol, not so much 'the foibles of gardening' as it is 'the foibles of working on a farm,' where I do my aforementioned 20hrs/week. (I know I mentioned it somewhere.) Go me! Sort of...So, yeah. We grow a lotta things. *nods* And not exotic vegetables and rare blossoms. Normal stuff. Zucchini, squash, peas, beans, etc. We do have peanut bushes, which I think is awesome.

As soon as I read your explanation for the "so rare it bleeds" thing, I had one of those "OHH!" moments. Then, I had a 'DUH!" moment. Now, I can't believe that I missed that. How did I not see that?

Leslie, you've tried a lot of different things. Wow. :O

I don't understand why people would want a 'niche'. Why lock yourself into doing one thing? Write what you want, and if that happens to be one specific type of thing, then great. If not, then great. I dunno. That's kind of my view on it.

7/15/2010 #11
L. W. Perry

Yep. And adding to that, I've done murder, I've done Stockholm Syndrome, I've done drug stories, I've done slash, I've done het. XD Not everything turned out well, but I've tried it.

I don't want to lock myself into one thing, I just like knowing that if something doesn't work, there's something that does.

7/15/2010 #12
scharlie18

I've done het and slash. Go me! :D

For me, it's not so much, "Well, what kinds of things work for me? What do I like to write about?" It's more, "I need a plot," and then everything else follows. It really doesn't even matter what genre or style the plot would require. I get the plot first, and then I decide what genre it's gonna be, how I'm going to write it, etc. You make it sound like, for you, it's "Okay, well, what kind of thing would I like to write about this time?"

7/15/2010 #13
L. W. Perry

Eh, sort of. It all usually hits at once, y'know. It's not like, "Oh! I want to write a horror story." and then think "Well, wouldn't it be cool if it was historical." and then come up with "There's a group of people..." It's usually, "Okay, so I think it'd be cool if I wrote a historical horror story about this group of people...."

I'm also one of those people that likes those artsy plotless films. They have a theme and characters and then the plot just kinda' strings itself together. A lot of my stories aren't very plot driven.

7/15/2010 #14
scharlie18

Nah, see, I'm plot driven. I need a plot. Specifically, I need to know where I'm going, or I frustrate the heck out of myself trying to figure it out. I don't mind reading/watching stuff that isn't plot driven. But, when I'm writing it, I need a plot.

7/15/2010 #15
L. W. Perry

I'm bad at plots. XD I have no idea why. It's something I need to work on more.

7/15/2010 #16
KittenOnTheKeys

I write serious stories, I guess. I like my work to be really character-driven; for me, characters can make or break a story. I don't think I can be intentionally funny enough to write humor, though I try to include some in my work so it doesn't get monotonous. Right now I'm working on the "Untitled" novel. If anyone decides to read the chapter that's up, just know that I'm completely revising it and it will be changed when I get it done.

7/15/2010 #17
Thetis of White Isle

Me, I usually am inspired by an unresolved question. Or a counterfactual even. What would happen if 'this' happened, or I changed around this, or say, this person was here at this event, and they did...yeah, you get the idea. I thought to write for children or even adolescents, but people say my writing's not suited to that sort of thing. I do know that publishers want to know what audience you're writing for, but I look at my stuff, and I just shake my head. Where do you begin to pigeonhole something like...um, well, Sonata for a Lucid Dream. It's...weird.

I wonder sometimes whether I should take that thing down, but I keep turning warm to tepid and back again on it. Meh.

I know this sounds a little weird, but I do keep a document handy of the origin of how my stories started. Just so I can see how my ideas progressed, and why I did such and such thing at this point in the story.

7/15/2010 #18
KittenOnTheKeys
I hope you don't take Sonata down, I liked that story.
7/15/2010 #19
L. W. Perry

I'm currently writing out my character's bios. Andrew's specifically. His character is more developed compared to Louis', but his backstory isn't as strong.

I need to start or at least outline the next chapter, but I don't feel comfortable introducing Andrew's character until I get a better hold on where he's coming from since his and Louis' first conversation is about Andrew's bakstory.

Grr. I hate planning, but I have to do it, or else it sucks. XD And my beta has been asking questions.

7/15/2010 #20
scharlie18

I don't actually write out character bios. Though, I probably should. Knowing me, however, I'd probably just write the bios, and not write the story. :D I love creating characters, developing them, not so much.

7/15/2010 #21
L. W. Perry

I don't usually, but I'm trying to start. And I have a bad habit of forgetting things so I like to write them down. And reading things back, I find things I didn't notice before.

7/15/2010 #22
scharlie18

Oh, see, I forget where I put my keys. I don't normally forget my character's backstory. But, then again, I do have a tendency to get sparks of inspiration when writing things down. So...

I am plot driven, however. In the story I'm writing right now, I don't have backstories for...anyone, really. But, the situation hasn't come up where I needed to explain the character's backstory. There hasn't even been an opportunity for me to have someone say their backstory. So...*shrugs*

7/15/2010 #23
scharlie18

*pants* All the lights are off in my room, and everything was silent. And then, I started hearing this weird tapping sort of noise, and I realized that not only was it getting louder, it was in the room with me. I started freaking out, then I realized it was my iTunes, which had finally decided to play a song.

I know that's random, but I was flipping out.

7/15/2010 #24
L. W. Perry

Well, not forget things like what happen. Little things like dates and minor characters names and the such.

And I like knowing my character's backstories, even if it doesn't come up. Like, I don't think there's ever a moment in my story where I say that Andrew had a male lover back home and his father found out about so that's why he was sent to live with his godfather, but I know it. I like that.

7/15/2010 #25
scharlie18

Nah, see, I'll just make that up as the story requires me to. It'll come to me when I need it, and if I don't, then that's fine.

7/15/2010 #26
L. W. Perry

I can't do that. I wish I could. When I try, it feels inconsistent.

7/15/2010 #27
scharlie18

Inconsistent how?

7/15/2010 #28
L. W. Perry

Like... weird example, but it's the first thing that comes to mind. In The Little Mermaid, Ariel says "I just don't see how a world that makes such wonderful things could be bad." but when they went back and made the prequal, they show that her mother was killed by humans. If they had planned that and then made the first movie, she wouldn't say something like that....

7/15/2010 #29
scharlie18

Oh. Yeah, I see what you mean.

I love the fact that you can quote Ariel off the top of your head. :D That says something.

7/15/2010 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: scharlie18
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member