What about the manga section?
What are the difference between the manga section and the others here on FP? Why is it so popular in comparison? Discuss something-anything- ...and you'll get an answer. Pretty cool people on this site.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Open your eyes Chopstick

Okay, the title probably doesn't make sense. But let me explain....

Communities, otherwise known as C2s, are collections of stories here on FP that meets certain requirments. Whether it has to have great grammar, be in a certain category (fantasy, manga, romance, ect), or anything else.

But I was thinking, how about a community filled with author's usernames instead of stories? These would be the authors you can depend on to give a great review. I always want such critques too. Round ones. Ones that say the good and the bad. With reasons. But, no matter how much I review others, i sometimes get lame ones. It's hard finding a good reviewer. Instead of gaining reviews from people that only says "I liked it" "keep it up" "UPDATE SOON" only, how about coming to this C2 instead? Filled with authors who are willing to review honestly, giving a round constructive critque of your work. They might ask for a review back, but then, who cares? They just helped you improve your writing unlike anyone else can. You might as well take the time and help them out too.

I know there are some reviewers I always look for when reading a story. I keep thinking "Did he review this story?" "What does he think of it?" "Is it worth reading?" just because he's such a good reviewer.

But...how should we do this??? Am I the only one who thinks having a C2 of reviewers a good idea? I've been trying to figure out how to make a community like this. If I can't, I'll probably just put it here. Share this with people. Even though this forum is in the "manga" section, I'm leaving the "reviewing" things opened for all types of fiction. So, if someone stumbles upon this, and you think you are a good reviewer and would like to be added, just follow this format:

Username: 'Open your eyes Chopstick'

Stories I review: Manga, fantasy, occasional romance, any types of poems (not the depressing kinds please....)

Reviewing style: I point out the mistakes I saw in the story/chapter/poem, giving tips that will help you remember to not do the same mistakes again, and then I mention the good stuff (what I liked and WHY i liked it.)

ps. This is NOT a review for a review kind of thing. This is only a place for authors' name who are willing to review others. If you want a person on this list thing to review your work, PM them. Work out the details with them.

7/11/2010 #1
Javin Pilotte

Username: Lacta

Stories I Review: Anything good. :D

Reviewing style: I correct any grammar or spelling mistakes I find. Then I will consider the plot and also give my critiques and compliments on it. And of course, with reasons. What meaning could a statement have without reasons? xD

7/22/2010 #2
Kaos Ninja9

Username: Kaos Ninja9

Stories I Review: Mostly manga, but I'll also read fantasy and mystery

Reviewing Style: I'll point out any spelling/grammar/formatting mistakes I notice. I'll let you know if anything seems rushed or confusing and make sure the story contridict itself anywhere. Other than that, I'll tell you what I liked/disliked about the story/characters, and let you know why.

7/27/2010 #3
Harisu Adamu

Username: Harisu Adamu (Adam Harris)

Stories I review: Manga mostly, but pretty much anything.

Reviewing style: I review chapter titles, and general concept abilities. I don't bother with grammar too much, for I know everyone's not the "Next Spelling Bee Champion". I pay close attention to chapter intros, and consistency within the plot and subsequent chapters. My main focus is critiquing whether the writer has a unique quality in their writing style, character originality and character progression, and the ability to captivate readers (not just myself) and keep them gravitated toward their work. Also, I am on the constant search for the cliche. Not enough cliche is too abnormal, but too much is way too normal.

8/1/2010 . Edited 8/1/2010 #4
Victoria Stokes

Username: Victoria Stokes

Stories I Review: anything.

Reviewing Style: i point out what i liked about the story and things that could use improvement. the criticism is light and i compliment more. don't really bother with spelling and grammar unless the story's on the short side. i analyze character interactions and development and whether you can make them believable&relatable, even if it's set in a supernatural or fantasy setting.

8/2/2010 #5
TheArchimage

Username: TheArchimage

Stories I review: Manga, Action/Adventure, Comedy

Reviewing Style: Pull-no-punches beatdown. I go over every line, every typo, every character, and I squeeze until there's nothing left. While I provide compliments when they are deserved, I am not interested in providing you an ego boost. Special focus on character personality and dialogue, weak with descriptive paragraphs.

8/24/2010 #6
MercedesPhoenix

Hey! I'm going to submit my reviewer resume now. :)

Username: MercedesPhoenix

Stories I Review: Manga, really good Romances, Young Adult... pretty much anything that's super good. Because if it's good, it won't matter what genre it is. But I don't normally review poems very often.

Reviewing Style: If your story is pretty much grammatically correct, I'm not picky. But if your story is riddled with mistakes, I will pick it apart and tell you how to fix your mistakes. I think this as a compliment-- this means I think your story is good enough to correct. I will also help with character and plot development, but I won't interfere too much. I usually just give suggestions to make your story better. I give compliments, because without them it would feel like I was flaming your story and that I hated it, but in reality if I give you a long review it means I like your story and care if it's good.

1/23/2011 #7
DestinyKakeru

Username: tsubasa kuromiya

Stories I review: Manga, Supernatural, Action/Adventure, Humor, really good Fantasy and Sci-Fi, Young Adult. I'm not very good with Romance and poems, or homosexual themes.

Reviewing Style: I'll beta-read at very much anything that is given to me to the best of my abilities. However, I'm rather strict and harsh, so unless you're willing to stand criticisms that are unpleasant but useful for improvement, I don't think I'm suitable to help you. I won't beat around the bush - I will just be honest with you and tell you straight at the face where's good, and where's not (my aim is to help you improve, not to please you). I'll also try not to change your story plot, setting and characters too much - I understand that sometimes certain happenings in the story may be the author's intention, but I may question you for details if I find that there's too many holes in your plot.

4/7/2011 #8
Yuuenchi

Username: Yuuenchi

Stories I review: Just about anything I read. (Now, ask me what I read). My preferred genres though -i.e. those stories that I read more of than others- include YA, Manga, Sci-Fi and Fantasy- as these are also the genres I aspire to write for.

Reviewing Style: I review like I (will) beta-read, with an eye for continuity and transition, whether a character is acting "in character". As well, I can point out the most glaringly obvious grammar faults. I will point out what works and what doesn't work for me as a reader/writer (which boils down to what I like and what I don't like) but will always support my opinion with evidence from the text. Additionally I hope to help the author see things in his/her own text that they themselves didn't necessarily see (such as use of color as metaphor or theme). I can write two kinds of reviews: ongoing, chapter-by-chapter; or placing everything in one post. It's your choice.

Examples of my reviews: I have currently reviewed the following stories. All but the last one are completed one-shots, however.

1. Crystal Girls - CuteDreams
  2. Frozen Reunion - objectivitgy
  3. The playground - broken blue roses
  4. steplover - craztwritings [ongoing]

I plan to read and review many more stories in the Manga and even YA category. So, if you'd like more than a one-liner review, point me to your story, earthling.

EDIT: Yeah, I just recently discovered we had the ability to edit our posts, so I came back up and saw how 'trashy' my beta-phile looked, so I have now reworked it in terms of grammar and formatting. I apologize for my former errors, and hope that this new approach makes it a little easier to see what I write. And thank you for reading my profile.

7/28/2011 . Edited 4/29/2013 #9
J.Alonzo

Hello, I have not written recreationally for nearly a year since I was entangled with a number of literary and essay-oriented college courses. I'm considering writing for recreation once again, but I feel it's only fitting to drop back in by doing a service to others before I request them for myself, hopefully networking to find like-minded authors and friends. USERNAME: Preston-Wade, or just 'Wade' will suffice... STORIES I REVIEW: I love Manga, Fantasy, and Sci-Fi stories but honestly, if you're willing to put yourself out there and provide an interesting synopsis then I will naturally want to read it. I'm not really a SLASH fan though, unless it's just portrayed as a turn of events and not the sole indulgement for the reader/writer, in which case the problem is not with you it's merely the fact that I'm not fond of that type of writing and could not give you constructive feedback.

REVIEWING STYLE: I won't sweat the small stuff, punctuation can be fixed but content is the real concern. That is to say, I will point our grammar or spellings issues as I see them but I know that I personally tend to be oblivious to such errors as I write them, especially if the plot flourishes and I'm on a roll, so I'm not the type of reviewer who's going to call it a deal-breaker if I see that you overlooked a scathing typo in an otherwise engaging story. What I do focus on primarily is narrative structure, character development, and plot points- with respect of your original vision of course. If you think I'm a good fit then PM me and we'll discuss this further.

8/18/2011 #10
Katrina Elisse Caudle

Username: Katrina Elisse Caudle

Stories I review: Anything but poetry

Reviewing style: I just started participating on this site, so I haven't developed a style yet. But I try to point out what I like and what I don't like. I try to focus on the flow and character development!

8/28/2011 . Edited 8/28/2011 #11
taerkitty

Username: taerKitty

Stories I Review: Sci.fi, urban/modern fantasy, supernatural, action, adventure.

Reviewing Style: I copy-and-paste the story into a text editor, then read from there. When I hit a sentence or clause that I feel is relevant, I delete all the previous original text, quote that portion, and write my comments. It's the closest I've yet come to Word's Review | Comment feature.

This is a sample of reviewing style.

1/9/2012 . Edited 1/9/2012 #12
RedX9
Username: RedX9 Stories I review: Anything other than romance and poetry Reviewing style: I have a way with descriptions and character study. I'm not brutal but frank.
4/11/2012 #13
Senshi Sun

Username: Senshi Sun (I transfered from FF.N, so I might change my username here.)

Stories I review: Manga, fantasy, short si-fi, young adult

Reviewing style: I will generally be careful about brutal criticism, but if that's what you want, tell me. My reviewing style is fairly basic. I will go over plot points, analysis characters. If you want, I can do a who (characters), what (plot), where (setting), why (motivations), and how (conventions) for your stories.

4/25/2013 #14
Forum Moderators: Open your eyes Chopstick
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member