What about the manga section?
What are the difference between the manga section and the others here on FP? Why is it so popular in comparison? Discuss something-anything- ...and you'll get an answer. Pretty cool people on this site.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Open your eyes Chopstick

so I've seen some slash stories in here. I was confused at first what they were, but then figured it out. It's BL or GL. Im really glad the authors tell us in their summary if it's a slash manga story.

But it's not because i'm agaist those kind of stories.

Mostly, it's because those stories tend to not have a plot.

There is one story i'm reading on here that has BL (but, well, it didn't say in the summary, but by the time i realized it, i was really into the plot.)

Okay, that was rude. some might have a plot to their stories. But by my experience, I don't see them. Or, the plot is stupid. Even in plublished mangas and animes. I only saw two really good animes that are BL: Princess Princess and Junju Romantica. I tried watching others after those two, but they all kinda sucked in my oppinion.

What do you think about these types of stories? Will you ever try writing a BL story just to see if you can?

(to answer the second question, I'm actually trying to write some sort of BL. But it was more because i was motivated by this documentry I watched with my mom about japanese host clubs and prositutes. The men kept saying they have a phobia, they don't trust women, so my mom asked if they end up gay because of the job. So my story was born. It'll be short though....)

7/27/2010 #1
Kaos Ninja9

A few of my stories have a little BL in them, but it's never the main plot of the story. To me, any kind of romance works better as a sub-plot. When it's the main plot, the story tends to have no substance.

Now that I think of it though, only one of my stories has BL involving the main character. I'll probably get it posted later.

'Legend of the Spells' with have some minor BL, but like I said, i doesn't involve the main character. The characters are important though.

7/27/2010 #2
Open your eyes Chopstick

I agree with the whole sub-plot romance. With the romantic element being there, but not the main attraction, it makes the story more round, I think. It's not just about, idk...military history. It's also about the inner secretes of love that goes around.

Idk...like, memoirs of a Geshia. Have you read that? I really like it. one of the few books i could read over and over without getting bored. Even thoguh romance is definitly up there in that sotry, it's more than that. It's the inner working of being a geshia. It's really great.

That's sorta what i want to do with my story "Put your hands on me" (title came from a line of a song i was listening to while writing the story). It's BL, but it's more about the inner working of being a host club. I wonder if I'm making sense....

7/27/2010 #3
aka Providence

I've written a few BL before, just to see if I can do it. Romance isn't something I focus on in my stories, so stuff like that is almost always a minor thing for me and the stuff I write.

7/27/2010 #4
Kaos Ninja9

'Memoires of a Geisha' is a perfect example. The romance is there, but it's not the main focus.

7/27/2010 #5
Charming Dice

BL . . . nope. Not for me.

Now, girls can love each other all they want. No complaints there. But even those don't hold my interest for long.

I think a lot of slash stories here have little plot because they have little thought. I'll bet you anything at least half of these were written by h*** authors who felt the need to unleash their fantasies in a safe environment. Nothing wrong with that. Might as well write what you're passionate about. But its hard to turn that kind of fantasy into a coherent story with believable characters & strong conflict.

That's my take on it.

7/27/2010 #6
Open your eyes Chopstick

theres a lot more GL that are better than BL.

yeah, probably their h***. But they should still have a plot. Otherwise it just screams "DAY DREAMS!"

BL isn't for everyone. I'm figuring that out. I only got one review for my BL story so far, 8 hits though. I wonder if it's cuz i suck, or because its more driven plot with out all the horniness. idk.

7/27/2010 #7
Charming Dice

Here's the problem. When you announce in your summary that it's slash or BL or yaoi or whatever, you hit people in the face with the sexual angle from the word go, even if there's no sex planned. So for people enticed by that angle, you disappoint them if you don't feature that.

If you want average readers to read your BL story, stop announcing it as that. Just treat it like any other story. Run your plot, develop your characters, whatever. Then add the BL portion like you would a straight romance. Some people will be turned off, sure. But if your story and characters are good enough, people who normally hide from slash might live with it. Maybe even start to like it.

Be slick with it, Spork.

7/27/2010 #8
aka Providence

Dice: Yep. The only time you need to know if something is BL or GL is when you're searching for p***.

7/27/2010 #9
Open your eyes Chopstick

damn...okay, you're right. It was like that with this one story i'm reading on here. It said nothing about BL in the summary, but when i figured out it was one, i was already hooked.

I need to change that summary in my story.

7/27/2010 #10
Forum Moderators: Open your eyes Chopstick
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member