What about the manga section?
What are the difference between the manga section and the others here on FP? Why is it so popular in comparison? Discuss something-anything- ...and you'll get an answer. Pretty cool people on this site.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
aka Providence

Ahh... methinks it's time for me to plant a few seeds of strange-ness around here~

Anyway, Katawa Shoujo is the English romance visual-novel that involves disabled characters. We've got a main character with a heart condition, and 5 girls with different kinds of disabilities: such as blindness, deafness, having no arms, having no legs, and one character that has burn scars all over her body~ Isn't that nice?

Actually and seriously, you might think that this is a bit offensive, the game is actually pretty well-made, with an interesting plot and characters. I thought the disabilities were handled pretty nicely, too. As someone that's slightly disabled, it doesn't offend me at all.

For the interested, they have a website where you can download the first chapter of the game for free. The rest of the game is still under development.

Ha ha ha, and that's it!

7/27/2010 #1
Charming Dice

You're a different kind of guy. But you know me. Not really the romance type, but I'll try most anything once.

This won't give my computer viruses or anything, will it?

7/27/2010 #2
Open your eyes Chopstick

its a game? mmm....i'm not much of a gamer. I'm more of a watcher of people playing video games. I get nervous cuz I'm controlling someone. haha

i think the game sounds interesting though.

7/27/2010 #3
aka Providence

Nope. No viruses, just make sure to download from the main site, I guess.

Also, most visual-novels aren't really games. It's mostly reading, and picking a few choices during certain parts to determine what might happen.

7/27/2010 #4
Open your eyes Chopstick

oh, i heard of those....in mangas. haha. okay,well, i might check it out.

7/27/2010 #5
TheArchimage

Oh wow, it's really being made? I seem to remember that started as a joke on a certain unsavory forum... but it's really being made?

8/1/2010 #6
aka Providence

Yeah. In any case, the connection between Four Leaf Studios, the one making the game, and 4chan is pretty slim.

Chapter 1 is already out, and the rest of the game is still being developed.

Well, here's what started it, the sketch by manga artist Raita, which eventually found its way to 4chan which led to the making of Katawa Shoujo:

http://internet-superhero.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/katawashoujo.jpg

Quick guide! Emi's the one with the missing legs, Rin is the one without arms, Lilly is the blind one, Hanako has the burn scars on her body and Shizune is deaf-mute. They look like the ones in the link above, but with a few minor changes (Rin, for example, wears pants. It's very awkward to wear a skirt if you're using your feet as hands, after all).

Your character, Hisao, has a heart disease.

8/1/2010 . Edited 8/1/2010 #7
Open your eyes Chopstick

yo. saw the sketches. what's the website so i can download the demo? i wanna check it out.

8/2/2010 #8
aka Providence

http://katawa-shoujo.com/

8/2/2010 #9
Yuuenchi

I've been following their progress for three years now, two years after they started, and I have to say, for an amateur, volunteer, intercontinental, fan-grown production, its by far one of the best I've seen of the English VN scene. I'm actually looking forward to what they do with Acts 2-The End.

8/5/2011 #10
taerkitty

From katawa-shoujo (dot) com

The final chapter comes in the year 2012. For five long years Four Leaf Studios toiled on the project, with the eventual release sometimes seeming like it would never come. By the end of 2011, though, the end was in sight and the final push to complete the game began. On January the 4th, 2012, Katawa Shoujo was released.

Congrats!

1/10/2012 #11
Forum Moderators: Open your eyes Chopstick
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member