What about the manga section?
What are the difference between the manga section and the others here on FP? Why is it so popular in comparison? Discuss something-anything- ...and you'll get an answer. Pretty cool people on this site.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Katrina Elisse Caudle

Hello!

My name is Kat and I'm new here. I used to kick around here and ff.net almost ten years ago (!!!) and recently started writing regularly again. I missed hanging online with a bunch of writers so I thought I'd rejoin and have some fun.

I was really intrigued when I saw there was a manga section! I love manga and fanfiction. I'd just posted my first story under fantasy, but wondered if manga was a better place for it. I've been bouncing around through the category and seeing different styles and content. Some have very obvious links, like Japanese names or settings - others seem to be similar in a way I can't quite put my finger on.

Anyways, I thought I'd start getting to know everyone by asking a pretty basic question - what is the manga style for you?

(I've since moved my story over to manga, by the way. It would be so cute as an actual comic! 3)

8/28/2011 #1
Eytha

What is the manga section? This ends up being a pretty popular question that people ask. In terms of genres, it is everything and then some, since there are a few genres that manga invented that are not really used or at least not popular in the Western world. So it is a General section with Japanese influence, or just trying to reflect the style and design that goes into manga while not actually specifically doing anything Japanese.

For me, it is a place for styles that try to reflect the style and themes of manga/anime. I write more from the mindset that I want people to be picturing what they're reading to actually be an anime or manga rather than just a story with words. So I write as such to give that sort of imagery.

8/31/2011 #2
Yuuenchi

Hello, and welcome to the forum! And a big welcome to the return of your muse! I'll have to echo Eythra for the most part in answering what is the manga section, with my own small contribution. Animation and graphic novel-comics in Japan and the East is treated differently than its Western counterpart. For Japan it is not something just for childish entertainment, or mirroring the younger adult popular culture scene, but a whole narrative medium, every much as is Opera, or novels, or drama. Just look at how they treat puppetry arts (Chikimatsu, who is the greatest Japanese playwright on a par with Shakespeare, wrote for the puppetry theatre), and contains within itself every possible genre, even government publications! I think though for most English writers, manga represents a style of writing culturally influenced by Japan in terms of themes, setting, tone, and conventions.

9/17/2011 #3
Forum Moderators: Open your eyes Chopstick
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member