What about the manga section?
What are the difference between the manga section and the others here on FP? Why is it so popular in comparison? Discuss something-anything- ...and you'll get an answer. Pretty cool people on this site.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
RedX9
I want views on humour. I know this is the manga's section but hear me out. It's just that whenever I write about humour nowadays it always seems to be inspired by manga elements. How do you guys find manga humour to be, do you find them tacky with their exaggerated looks or just slapstick smart? Oh yeah btw my story "randomly random randomness" please take a look. Its just a piece for lolz I don't need constructive criticisms.
4/11/2012 #1
Eytha

I don't read enough fiction around here, bad habits and an ethic that forces me to review. Anyway, because of my shortness on reading reference here, I don't get to see a lot of comedy. I mostly read Manga stories because those are the people that find mine and that write as well. Considering that it is a Manga, there should usually be a bit of comedy present unless it is a extremely serious story. Even the most dark and depressing stories in Manga still end up managing to have funny moments.

Because of this I think it is very important to have humor in the story. You need that change of pace to keep things from getting too tense or just too bury under the weight of its own story. A little light fun doesn't hurt anything.

Physical comedy is less entertaining than situational comedy for me. So I'm not as much of a fan of slapstick. But it all really does depend on execution to know if it is tacky or not.

4/14/2012 #2
IceKazuka13

That depends on how far the creator is willing to go on the humor content. Usually, there are those humor anime/manga like School Rumble that won't go too far with their content. But those like Kemeko DX, KissXSis, and To Love Ru are the anime/manga that really go far with their comedy elements. Even my ONE humor oriented story went as far as a girl peeing herself then smacking a guy with her pee soaked underwear. It all depends on how far you wanna go, then letting ideas flow to that limit. If you want the most freedom, then don't hold back at all and hope for the best.

6/18/2012 #3
Yuuenchi

I find most manga humor to be highly visual, and sight dependent, as it takes more words to set up a humourous sitation than you can get away with in a 5 panel graphic page, which means the humour needs to be more thought out. It's also very situation dependent, with a lot of assumptions of shall we say relationship naivete on the part of the character we are meant to laught at. Just look at Maison Ikkoku.. Some slapstick humour I just cringe over, true, but some (yes even the fan-service based reactions, send me to the floor rolling, laughing, tearing up and coughing when I run out of breath!

12/23/2012 #4
Forum Moderators: Open your eyes Chopstick
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member