The Weather Centre: And I Need a Job, so I Wanna Be A Paperback Writer
The forum for people who want to go pro. Featuring: a weekly workshop for novelists, query letter & synopsis critiques, an indie/self-pub section, and a place for story brainstorming (TWC mk. 1 holla).
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
notveryalice

Learn about synopses here: why you need them, what they are, how to write one.

Requests for synopsis critiques go here.

Links and resources are in post #2, below.

RULES

1. If you've posted a synopsis on FP and you want us to critique it, post here. For discussion about queries and query critiques, go to Flurry. For help getting a literary agent, go to Rain Dance.

2. General discussion about synopses also goes here.

3. Off topic posts will be moved.

4. DISCLAIMER: Even though I am in fact a literary agency intern, I cannot give advice about how to submit to the agency I work for (or even tell you which one it is). My opinions are my own, and are my opinions as a writer, not as an intern.

8/9/2010 . Edited 10/12/2012 #1
notveryalice

USEFUL RESOURCES/LINKS

FAQ

1. What is a synopsis?

A synopsis is something you write to a literary agent in order to seek representation. It's usually between 800 and 1,000 words long, and it summarises the entire plot of your book.

2. What's a literary agent?

If you want to be published by any major publishing house, you'll need a literary agent to represent you. An agent's job is to sell your work and to handle your career as a professional writer. They're like managers.

3. Why do I need to write a synopsis?

Literary agents get a lot of submissions. They often ask for synopses so they can figure out whether or not they want to represent you without having to read your work. It sucks, I know.

Links to Help You

10/5/2012 . Edited 10/5/2012 #2
Forum Moderators: notveryalice Jealous Rage
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member