The Weather Centre: And I Need a Job, so I Wanna Be A Paperback Writer
The forum for people who want to go pro. Featuring: a weekly workshop for novelists, query letter & synopsis critiques, an indie/self-pub section, and a place for story brainstorming (TWC mk. 1 holla).
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
notveryalice

Post recommendations here - be it for FP stories, books, movies you think are cool, music, whatever. Reviews of said flotsam and jetsam are welcome.

RULES

1. Please single post only (unless the forum has been dead for a while), and don't recommend your own stuff (repeat violators, bannination, blah blah blah).

2. Try to have a little more decorum than those freaks in the Tempest thread.

8/9/2010 . Edited 11/10/2012 #1
Jealous Rage

I recommend everybody check out the band The White Buffalo. They do a version of The House of the Rising Son for the show Sons of Anarchy, and it's pretty awesome.

10/7/2012 #2
notveryalice

Apparently our feedback loops are more sensitive than we might suspect.

Amy Cuddy's work shows that "power posing" for two minutes increases testosterone and decreases cortisol--and makes people more "charismatic". Amazing stuff!

http://www.ted.com/talks/amy_cuddy_your_body_language_shapes_who_you_are.html

10/12/2012 #3
YasuRan

Everything made of metal and flesh by Faithless Juliet.

10/12/2012 #4
1.21 Jigawatts

Not sure if it's everyone's cup of tea, but I'm totally addicted to the welsh band The Joy Formidable atm. Well, I've been for a while but they just released new singles.

10/13/2012 #5
Jealous Rage

I recommend you guys check out anything by the band Death. They've done some really cool shit and are pioneers of the death metal and tech-death genres. Really solid band.

10/15/2012 #6
Jealous Rage

In an effort to breathe life into this thread, I'm gonna use my mod powers to break the rules a little and post again.

I recommend people check out Stone Sour's latest album. I'm a big fan. Musically, it's fairly different from their earlier stuff, and even a bit removed from their last album. Some of my favourites from House of Gold and Bones - Part 1: Absolute Zero, Gone Sovereign, Taciturn, Last of the Real.

11/9/2012 . Edited 11/9/2012 #7
notveryalice

OT

I changed the rules. You're good.

/OT

11/10/2012 #8
YasuRan

Reccing Justin Cronin's The Passage and its sequel The Twelve. Both riveting treats for the sci-fi horror fan and Cronin's characters should have you hooked in.

11/11/2012 #9
Jealous Rage

Recommend checking out Alice in Chains when you've got some free time. Anything they put out when Layne Staley was still alive. And I know, everybody's probably heard them before. But still, they're worth more listens.

11/11/2012 #10
Jealous Rage

Really been into Overkill lately. I always sort of wrote them off as a lesser thrash band for some reason, but when I actually gave them a thorough listen, I was impressed. Really solid stuff. If you're into thrash metal, or just heavy metal in general, you should check them out.

2/17/2013 #11
Forum Moderators: notveryalice Jealous Rage
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member