Brainstorming for shared world
Closed project.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Cam S

Okay, I have no name for this project as of yet.

Basically, this is a setting in which the super-humans have been around for a bit longer than a century. The only naturally occurring "superpower" is a greatly increased intellect--called something like "Eccentric Hyper-Cognition Syndrome" or something like that. This causes a massive increase in intellect, while causing certain behavioral abnormalities; this occasionally causes the stereotypical "Evil Genius" to appear, but just as often produces a more benign individual. This first appeared in the late 1800s.

---

So, the basics:

(A) be plausibly hard SF (adjusted for the presence of superheroes, but with believable explanations of power,) [http://www.kheper.net/topics/scifi/grading.html]

(B) be fairly cynical (mostly black-and-gray morality,)

(C) be an alternate history with a POD in the 1900s or late 1800s, and

(D) avert the whole "Reed Richards is useless" thing. [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ReedRichardsIsUseless]

---

Suggested reading:

Obviously - Watchmen; V for Vendetta

Otherwise - Black Summer; No Hero; Supergod; Ultimate Spider-man; Nextwave: Agents of Hate (more for tone than ideas.)

Suggested viewing:

Kick-Ass; Batman Begins; The Dark Knight; Iron Man; Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog

8/16/2010 #1
Jave Harron

I think a few events may work:

A) Tunguska Event- Maybe some naturally stable form of antimatter Applied Phlebotinum dropped down from space then.

B) Some sort of Tesla related incident, perhaps turning on Wardenclyff Tower, possibly related to the above.

C) Or some combo of both.

I think Tesla may be a great EHCS case. Here, he might've invented some more practical versions of his more hair brained ideas, like the death ray.

I'm going to assume EHCS is essentially near superintelligence in human form.

Even just Tesla with this may lead to some interesting tech development paths (note: assuming major events still occur in a form somewhat recognizable, or at least idea considerations):

-Earlier development of practical or smaller batteries (maybe some form of ultracapacitor made from rare materials?)

-Or maybe handheld wireless devices appearing earlier?

-Perhaps his death ray is really just a large, impractical version of an electrolaser or even X ray emitter? However, any energy weapons should be fairly cost prohibitive compared to conventional ones, and be more improvised, unique things. Costs on, say, the fancy materials needed for electronics could be high, leading people to mostly stick with conventional electronics (at least for era). This keeps high tech toys mainly in the hands of wealthy and/or well connected.

-Perhaps, ironically, the idea of suited supers comes from a nasty source, the KKK. Groups of American vigilantes (and counter-vigilantes) begin wearing hoods and masks in imitation of those white robes and hoods. Unemployment and expansion of Federal government during the Great Depression can drive plenty of people to becoming this.

-The Great Powers may seek to acquire as many super geniuses as possible, often giving into their eccentric "requirements"/quirks in exchange for useful inventions.

-After WW2, the USA and Soviets are probably going to (forcibly) recruit as many super intellects as possible for their own side, many former Axis researchers with questionable backgrounds. Hoods and masks also make for good ways to cover covert operations.

In terms of individuals who utterly reshaped their technical fields, or at least added a buttload of designs, I'd say Tesla (electronics) and John Browning (guns) were two major ones in late 1800s and early 1900s.

8/16/2010 . Edited 8/16/2010 #2
dreamshell

So to avert the Reed Richards Is Useless trope we should have practical applications for superpowers and inventions, right? Is there any more to it than that?

What do you mean when you say EHCS is the only "naturally occuring superpower"? Do the rest of the superhumans suffer Freak Lab Accidents or win the Imported Alien Phlebotinum lottery?

Another comic by Ellis that might be fitting is Planetary.

8/16/2010 #3
JonnyTV

I'll have more to say tomorrow, but for now, I just wanted to throw the following out as a slightly earlier point of diversion:

Charles Babbage's Analytical/Difference Engines - because who doesn't love a mechanical computer based on a Turing complete digital prgramming language? Also, it gives me an excuse to write some steampunk. I would expect its use would be mostly limited to the wealthy, the eccentric, and the kind of people who intersect with those fields, but it could open up a lot of doors for diverted history. Or make interesting stories as to why history didn't change.

And, since I'm now thinking about this, random thoughts:

Another, similar, trope to watch out for, of course, is CutLexLuthorACheck - [http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/CutLexLuthorACheck] - if they're super smart, we've got to make sure they're actually super smart. Or avert it somehow.

On the Tunguska note, there is a whole list of other explosions on that page, some just as massive. Is there Earth being seeded with Phlebotinum? And if so, is it random, or is there something up there?

On the Tesla note: in 1895, there was a fire in the building housing his laboratory which destroyed much of his equipment, as well as numerous papers and documents - obviously this was a ruse to cover the theft.

Jave, your mention of a possible source for the hoods and masks - at least among gov. sponsored supers - is entirely believable (if you're into conspiracy theories, and who isn't?). After all, if a bunch of white hoods go burn the local crazy out of his mansion on the hill, and confiscate his research, who's to say it wasn't a bunch of racists run amok?

Like I said, I'll have more ideas tomorrow - I've been mostly thinking about near-future developments, not alternate past, so I'll have to do some research.

8/16/2010 #4
JonnyTV

I think averting RR also involves keeping track of what your super science can and cannot do, apropos of not letting it become indistinguishable from magic. At least, not too often. That's my take, anyway.

Also, pleasure to meet you.

8/16/2010 #5
Jave Harron

Okay, a few other ideas:

On the subject of mechanical technology, if we get better Tesla and electronic tech, it may be possible we go through the 20th century with more refinement of electronics (rather than solely the internal combustion engine and hydraulics). This may also mean anti-electronic weapons (some sort of directed EMP or HERF, perhaps) may work.

As for mechanical computers, there is a way to make them more efficient than the space consuming Babbage engines. Ever heard of nanomechanical memory? Basically, you shrink the Babbage engine to the nanoscale or microscale and get something a bit bulkier and slower than electronics, but also more robust (if not immune) against EMP. Data storage can be made more efficient than punch cards as well. Something like IBM's Millipede format (a disc with microscopic bumps in it to signify binary memory) can work. It's basically the mechanical version of a CD meets record player.

Oh, reminds me, forgot the Zeppelins. How's this: A stratellite like zeppelin with solar cells for power, crewed by airship pirates. When they need supplies, they drop a dragnet made of carbon nanotubes to snatch up smaller aircraft, and maybe even watercraft, and winch 'em up. Makes you want to listen to some Abney Park just thinking about it.

I made a post Singularity steampunk and mechanical tech centric faction for my hard scifi pulp setting, so I have plenty more where that came from.

If we want to diverge history primarily with supers, I think we can have tech level be a bit higher, or conversely, a lot of the new technologies they introduce become impractical for mass production. Or at least they find some other use.

If we want to yank out the carpet entirely on history as we know it, a political PoD might be the Fashoda Incident. The UK might veer towards alliance with Imperial Germany to kick France's ass (presumably, the asses of whoever side with them as well). WWI may start earlier.

Or if we have history largely similar, some supertech may be introduced here and there, but not make it too far. For instance, the US military may reverse engineer those mecha suits that Imperial Japan rushed into the field at the end of WWII, and introduce their own version... Only to find out they're a massive waste of resources compared to conventional tanks and planes, like Germany's super tanks. However, the locomotion mechanisms developed may allow for assistive prosthetics for the disabled, as the military ditches the mecha for battlefield use.

Tunguska may be an example, but how's this: We got some hyper efficient, room temperature superconductor (maybe fictional) that is found in meteors. It's a great strategic resource, and allows for creation of more flashy supertech (stuff mad scientists and supers can use). It's a key strategic resource. Too expensive to be used in consumer electronics, and as a result, most people stick with conventional internal combustion engines. The rich and eccentric may tool around in special electric cars (or transforming planes or powered armor).

Nice to meet you, too!

8/16/2010 . Edited 8/16/2010 #6
JonnyTV

One of the 1st things to determine: source of phlebotinized intelligence.

Chemical/radiation from meteorsNext step in evolutionSuperdrug/mutant microbe developed/discovered by accidentThe result of the philosopher's stone/alchemy's vindication (not terribly "hard" in terms of science, I think) An ancient and noble bloodline (a family tree of mad science?) Lampshade hung – "Where are all these mad scientists coming from?" "Good question; moving on…"??? (Step Three: Profit!)

Right, once the babbage engine proves its worth, the technological curve would take effect, allowing for rapid and dramatic improvement of the technology, i.e. miniaturization

-although I still see electronics taking over and co-opting the much of the mechanical revolution's funding, military/terrorist use of EMPs and such could help to keep either line of development from immediately taking over.

-Perhaps a reimagining of the Tesla/Edison conflict places them as mad scientists on opposite sides of this dispute? Once friends and coworkers, now mortal enemies bent on mutual destruction! Sounds like a comic book to me.

Should mechanical computers become widely available, even if only to governments (and their militaries), wealthy financial institutions, and eccentrics, they would still fundamentally alter the world – mathematics, physics, and engineering would leap decades ahead.

Enough about that PoD though. At least for now.

Some other food for thought (stuff on the internet that I'm looking at for inspiration):

Inventions before their time:

http://scienceray.com/technology/whos-on-first-inventions-ahead-of-their-time/2/

http://technologizer.com/2010/01/24/edisons-kindle/4/

http://didyouknow.org/firstfax/

Timelines:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/19th_century

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/20th_century

8/17/2010 . Edited 8/17/2010 #7
dreamshell

I don't think we should try and flesh out an alternate timeline without working on a connection to the whole point of this project; superhumans. Obviously, shortly after the point of divergence occurs, some earlier/newer superhumans need to somehow affect the outcome of otherwise normal historical events. It doesn't even have to be that they alter one(s) that actually existed (though I suppose that's a sort of geek bonus), it could be entirely fictional.

As well, wouldn't it make more sense to use the Tunguska Event as a way to explain sudden superhuman ability, if it's used at all? I mean, I thought that was the implied idea there. Having it just be a cornucopia of potential technology again turns us away from the project's main focus.

8/17/2010 #8
dreamshell

Forgot to say; Nice to meet you, Jonny. ;)

So, do I have the wrong idea here? Are the only "superhumans" that are going to appear in this project super-geniuses? It seems like referring to superheroes and the like then is a bit of a mislabeling...

Funnily enough, I had an idea not long ago about Tesla making contact with Martians, becoming first an ambassador and then right-hand to a Martian tribal chief-turned-emperor, then an independent warlord in his own right. On a routine visit to Earth (he's long since adopted the Red Planet as his home), he's assassinated through the machinations of Edison (who's not so much evil as he is a Well Intentioned Extremist), kickstarting a WWI/War of Currents/War of the Worlds combo.

8/17/2010 . Edited 8/17/2010 #9
Cam S

Well, when I said that EHCS was the only naturally-occurring power, I meant that most other people with superpowers were modified intentionally by those with it--whether as a beta-test of sorts, or as a result of accidents.

I like the idea of hate groups being the original masked vigilantes; in post-civil war southern culture, they were seen that way, perhaps through pop-culture osmosis it expanded elsewhere.

Mechanical computing is good--miniaturized analytical engines used by the Triple Alliance to make their artillery more accurate. This could delay the introduction of the tank, and possibly extend the war a bit: they're more effective at killing the other side, but not as effective at breaching trenches, giving the Central Powers more time to introduce Storm Troopers. The Great War could've ended in 1920 instead of 1918.

Another WWI idea I think has some potential would be untested chemical weapons--perhaps they cause something like 1% of those effected to develop super powers (as in enhanced strength and durability.) Without understanding why this happened, it might lend some credence to the bastardized form of Nietzschean philosophy practiced by the Nazi party: as Ubermensch, they are not destroyed by chemical weapons and are thus held to be examples of a Master Race.

Two more notes:

-I'd prefer to limit alien involvement. Perhaps look more towards the first few issues of the Ultimate Galactus trilogy (i.e., Alien involvement is more garbage falling to Earth than actual, deliberate seeding.)

-Shell, Jonny, you two have already communicated briefly, in the comments section on my site.

(Jon's moderator-ship will be solidified once I get some errands handled.)

8/17/2010 #10
JonnyTV

You raise an excellent point in your first post - it'll be hard to flesh out the actual changes to history until we've laid out a solid foundation. I attempted to say something about this in my previous post, but it doesn't seem to have copied well from word, so here it is again:

One of the 1st things to determine: source of phlebotinized intelligence.

1. Chemical/radiation from meteors

2. Next step in evolution

3. Superdrug/mutant microbe developed/discovered by accident

4. The result of the philosopher's stone/alchemy's vindication (not plausibly "hard" in terms of science, I think)

5. An ancient and noble bloodline (a family tree of mad science? genetic possibilities carried through generations, largely dormant until activated by...what?)

6. Lampshade hung – "Where are all these mad scientists coming from?" "Good question; moving on…"

7. ??? (Step Three: Profit!)

If anyone else has any other plausible (or implausible, as I'm not exactly setting a good example here) sources for super intelligence, I'm all ears. Otherwise, let's vote.

On the note of super geniuses vs. super powers in general - I think the idea is that super intelligence is just the only naturally occurring super power - other powers will derive their origins from applied intelligence, via genetic experiments, computer science (brain/machine interface has, after all, in clinical testing for some time now), and other technological developments. So correct me if I'm wrong Cam, but Freak Lab Accidents all around?

8/17/2010 #11
JonnyTV

Ah, good timing Cam, posting while I'm still writing my post.

I just had to add my support for the use of chemical weapons in this setting - any excuse to have disfigured supers is a good excuse. They're always so pretty in all the comic books I read.

Also, I am wholeheartedly behind keeping alien life in a passive category, if it's used at all - heck, maybe the only alien life forms are microbes on the meteorites which interact with terran life in strange ways.

8/17/2010 #12
dreamshell

Well, I love the idea of dynasty and family drama, so a far-reaching bloodline working to culminate in a superintelligence sounds awesome to me. We could also go with the "alien garbage" idea proposed by Cam (which could tie in with the Tunguska Event Jave pitched, if we want to go with that), but that may be more difficult for those those of us who like upholding the Conservation Of Detail trope.

What if we were to tie in the origin of super-geniuses (and by extension, superhumans) with late 19th century eugenics?

8/17/2010 . Edited 8/17/2010 #13
JonnyTV

Perhaps, given that most 19th century eugenics programs were more political/cultural bastardizations of scientific theory - by which I mean pseudo-scientific attempts to justify certain preconceived biases - we could run something along the same lines of the hood/mask thing. That is to say, some of the few people in the movement actually committed to science achieve some limited success (line breeding or something to increase intelligence, but at the cost of mental/physical abnormalities). They never achieve popular acclaim (and perhaps suffer severe censure) because their results disprove/contradict many of the racial, cultural, and social stereotypes of the age. Or maybe they do succeed publicly and revolutionize society (seems politically improbable to me though).

At this point, in comes alien garbage/tunguska to accidentally supercharge results. I think this should avoid violating the Law of Conservation of Detail, in that everything is connected and relevant - but correct me if I'm wrong.

Of course, the experimental successes will not be easily duplicated, thus keeping super-brains rare, and they may have many vocal critics/detractors/public failures (poor Tesla), keeping history on a relatively stable track for the moment. This, combined with a few Freak Lab Accidents should both accelerate technology and keep history both interesting familiar and deviant.

Technology may or may not outpace social developments as they actually happened, which could produce some interesting dichotomies.

Thoughts?

8/17/2010 #14
Jave Harron

One thing to remember about the 19th century is that we also are seeing the birth of psychology as we know it. Not only does this spell fun for Freud and Jung in this world, but consider it like this: A lot of the different manias and psychological goals were not fully comprehended. This can leave plenty of room for some fun psychological disorders.

Another idea with the super intelligence bit is perhaps we had cases of superintelligent individuals appearing throughout history before (Da Vinci, Archimedes, Su Song, Shen Kuo, etc.) but due to simply not living in an age of mass production and mostly global media, they were unable to cause much impact (other than perhaps a few interesting books on machinery or science or few curiosities for some nobleman's manor). Now, thanks to the industrial revolution, they're spitting out all their mad dreams.

This external event (Tunguska, or whatever we use) might have released some material that causes this syndrome in a lot more fetuses worldwide. Eugenics may or may not allow for breeding of dynasties of mad scientists, scheming politicians, or the like. To steal Shell's idea, maybe we can have a supervillain (or hero) dynasty in the form of a noble family who tries to intermarry with several of these supergeniuses due to belief in eugenics?

Another external event may be good old Krakatoa in 1883. Perhaps some strange material was discharged into the volcanic ash, spread around the world by wind currents, and made births of super intellects more statistically probable?

8/17/2010 #15
dreamshell

Jonny;

Sounds good to me for the most part, though my point about COD is that alien garbage/Tunguska Event-like phenomena is by its nature outside of it, since it would (and this I'm only assuming based on Cam's earlier comments) be given no in-story explanation. It just kind of comes out of left field.

Besides which, if the super-brains achieve even nominal success with breeding superhumans, wouldn't throwing cosmic rays and alien phlebotinum, etc. into the mix be somewhat redundant?

Or are we saying that a eugenics program would only yield realistic, if also exemplary results? That would logistically justify a second event, but I still say having both is somewhat superfluous. Not to say there can't be multiple reasons for superhumans manifesting; I just don't think that outcome should be the result of several unlikely incidents piling on top of one another.

Jave;

What do psychological disorders have to do with anything?

I think the Julius Beethoven Da Vinci idea is going a bit too far if the idea is to be realistic, even if the characters don't gain particular notoriety. As well, we need to work on foundation, as Jonny said, and you're still pitching random ideas.

I don't think the idea was to have the bloodline and eugenics ideas be separate, but rather complementary. The superhumans are not naturally-occuring, as Cam and Jonny have said; they are the brainchildren of the super-geniuses. It's possible a superhuman dynasty can emerge from their innovations, I suppose. Or shoot off from their own mad science variation of one.

An idea:

Is it possible that a group of intelligent but otherwise non-fantastic people went about, through accident or design, concocting their own super-intelligence? And afterwards, the superhumans.

8/17/2010 . Edited 8/17/2010 #16
Cam S

I like the bootstrapping bloodline of super-intelligence, perhaps with a few bastards displaying the traits, as well.

Though, to get viable results, it would require a slightly earlier POD. Looking at the history of genetics, we could place one as far back as CE 1000, with Abu al-Qasim al-Zahrawi, a medieval Muslim physician who proved that haemophillia was heritable. Perhaps he, or one of his students, started a breeding program with the intention of producing a human capable of more closely approaching God's omniscience. This program could splinter over time, leading to different conspiracies each managing a branch of the family line produced by al-Zahrawi's breeding experiments.

Nine-hundred years of small-scale eugenics could still lead to some fairly impressive (if, obviously, morally reprehensible) results.

He could've spent a portion of his life kidnapping children from families known for intelligence and raising them, forcing them to reproduce, creating the original generation of geniuses. Due to a variety of factors, the number of individuals he can control is limited, leading to inbreeding, and subsequent genetic disorders. This would only increase hie knowledge of heritability, and allowed him to refine his techniques. He could then train these children from birth in his mission.

We could put the apparent POD as an attempt by one branch of the family in Algeria to foment an uprising against France, while another branch attempts to maintain European sovereignty in Africa (think Doc Savage, but French and a total bastard.)

---

I'm all for cutting aliens out; the "alien junk" suggestion was my idea for an upper limit on extraterrestrial involvement. If we do so, an alternate explanation for Tunguska could've been an early nuclear weapons test by an EHCS-afflicted Genius.

This could serve as the first shot in a worldwide secret war between these geniuses and their supermen, concurrent with the first world war. Unfortunately, most of the "legitimate" Children of the breeding program were killed off by rivals and rogue servitors, leaving only a few bastard children behind, as well as more mundane scholars picking through their work, trying to make sense of it.

8/17/2010 #17
dreamshell

Hmm... some interesting ideas. I'm a little suspicious about how unpremeditated they are, but interesting nonetheless.

So, would this thousand-year (or so) breeding program result in merely the super-geniuses, or the superhumans as well? Would there be other factors/catalysts besides that?

Also, what's the bar when it comes to superhuman abilities? You've said to try for realism, but most superpowers are intrinsically unrealistic. So do we opt only for things like superstrength, ESP and somewhat faster healing abilities, or are laser eyes, elemental abilities, and inexplicably animal-based traits on the table, too? =P

8/17/2010 #18
Cam S

I was thinking that it merely results in enhanced intelligence, but obviously, hyper-cognition and super-human abilities are not mutually exclusive. However, superhumans are not necessarily part of the bloodline; also, chances are that conditions in the womb are necessary for a full emergence of a superhuman intellect, certain dietary supplements and constrictions, for example.

I'm not going to limit you on superpowers too much, but you've got to provide some kind of explanation that wouldn't strain the willing suspension of disbelief in a plausibly hard SF setting. For example, laser eyes are probably specialized prostheses, and have some limitations on their use; Elemental abilities...well, that depends. Do you mean the ability to control water telekinetically? Or do you mean the ability to survive in an aquatic environment? Do you mean Human Torch, or do you mean built-in miniaturized flamethrower? As for the animal-based traits...well, get rid of "inexplicably" and chances are it'll be a "Yes."

8/17/2010 #19
dreamshell

Okay, so if they don't exist by chance, then each distinct power would have some specific purpose. What are some potential reasons behind all them?

8/17/2010 #20
Cam S

Potential reasons?

Well, that's a complex question, and depends on what you mean. Do you mean justifications for the powers, or do you mean reasons for developing them?

If it's the latter, then it could simply be an understanding by the EHCS geniuses that they are part of an artificially produced (albeit composed of natural elements) beings as steps toward a goal--perhaps one that they, themselves are not aware of. It could also be attempts to grab at temporal power. Or the product of an inbreeding-produced psychiatric disorder. Or for science(!).

If it's the former, then there are a number of reasons. For example, extreme strength and durability could be the result of the collagen in the skin, muscles and connective tissue being replaced by something closer to kevlar in composition and capability. ESP could be created through modifications to the "mirror neurons" in the brain, which are the foundation for natural empathy, allowing the superhuman to more accurately judge another's motives or thoughts. Or perhaps these mirror neurons could be destroyed to induce sociopathy.

On the other hand, perhaps a weapon could be integrated into the arm, or servomotors into joints. Perhaps the eyes could be replaced with millimeter-band radar, allowing for something akin to "x-ray vision." Maybe (as a justification for a lightning-using character) a network of fine wires could be integrated into the skin to create a Faraday cage, with electrodes in the fingers and a generator inside the ribcage.

In short, the two major sources of super-powers are cybernetics and biological augmentation. I imagine that the former is more recent than the latter (earlier attempts probably resulting in horrific mutilation.)

I'm going to split this into two new threads to make things easier.

8/17/2010 #21
dreamshell

Yeah, I meant reasons for developing them. How the powers worked was going to be next.

In that first part, are you talking about the development of the geniuses or superhumans? Because I was talking about the latter.

8/17/2010 #22
Cam S

Superhumans--they're all produced by Geniuses, whether intentionally or unintentionally.

8/17/2010 #23
JonnyTV

Okay, so there doesn't seem to be anywhere else to toss this question up, and I don't think it deserves its own, so this thread is getting bumped. I'm also not sure if it matters much to anyone else, but it's the kind of thing I think about.

Has anyone been considering a cohesive name for this setting? You know, kind of like a branding thing? "This is a story set in the [sadface] universe." Or something like that. For example, the story arc I've started putting teasers up on my blog for is called TrueBlue, after the secret project which spawned the both the hero and his enemies. I assume other people's story arcs may have appellations of their own, but universal names do seem to be the custom of the country.

On a somewhat related note, I know that I've got a couple stories up, a couple more basically finished, and several more in the works - where are you guys at? Still thinking, doing research, setting work, etc? Putting stories together, have stories ready to go? I know I emailed you about this the other day, Cam, but I've been wondering if we're at a point where we could select a specific date/week to start publishing this stuff?

12/28/2010 #24
Cam S

Okay, let's see...no cohesive name yet. Anyone got any ideas?

However, I will say this: I hope to have the first stories up two weeks from today, we can set up a rotation to get things out there. They'll be taking my Friday spot over at Cameronsummerswrites.com, with URLs for the authors and possibly an e-mail, if you'd prefer. All not written by me will get the "Not Mine" tag appended to them.

My thought was to have each of us do four or five stories, but we'd each have three weeks (including the week we go) to get them done. Most of my energy for this project, right now, is going into the Timeline, which will be moving into the 1980s. I'm going to stop at 2000, but that doesn't mean that post-2000 events are off the table; just that they'll be a bit more fluid.

12/31/2010 #25
JonnyTV

That sounds good to me. A nice timeline makes semi-prophetic characters so much easier to write. I'll try to edit in relevant additions as events warrant.

1/4/2011 #26
Cam S

We're pushing the deadline back another week, I get the feeling I should post the collected Cicatriz (even if the quality did dip a bit in the second half,) and it gives a bit of time to get into it.

I'll do the first one, which is going to be an account of the even referred to as "The Emperor's Duel" in the timeline. Who wants to take the second slot?

Ideas for cohesive name: "Enhancile Universe," "Blind Comics," "Blindsight Comics," Cacotopos, Reign of the Superhumans, The Mad Age, Miraculous, Guardians

Just some vague ideas to kick around. Anything sound good?

1/7/2011 #27
JonnyTV

Okie-dokie.

Stories

So I had this idea that MI6 would offer sanctuary to the Khan, in the hopes of keeping him under lock and key and exploiting his knowledge to build England's reactor. This results in him blowing it, and some other things, up. Can I do that story?

Alternatively, I've also got him and Sybylla meeting in London both before and after, which could provide some entertaining exposition about the setting in general.

And thirdly, I could focus on the fall of Project True Blue in America, and destruction of research which, near as I can tell from the timeline, won't be replicated for about 70-80 years. I think there are some fun enhancile fights in that one- I'll have my timeline finished soon, and I'll post it where it fits.

Names

I like the Blind names, they seem catchy. Maybe Blind Eye Comics as a third possibility there?

Or possibly something like For Science! Although that would be a little more tongue-in-cheek.

1/7/2011 #28
Cam S

All three of those stories seem good, though I think that rolling the second into the first would be for the best, personally. They seem thematically and narratively compatible.

The third is one you've already begun writing, yes?

Blind Eye Comics...that's a good one. I wanted something that connected what we were doing to comics, while having a sort of tongue-in-cheek admission that there's no (visual) art in what we're doing. I could definitely go with that.

I'll cast a vote for Blind Eye Comics, myself.

1/9/2011 #29
Jave Harron

I like Blind Eye Comics.

1/10/2011 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Cam S JonnyTV, dreamshell
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member