Writers Of Wonder! The WOW! Forum!
Enter ... if you are strange. This is a place for general chat and to discuss stories and poetry and get feedback. And there's free imaginary Vegemite with every post! If you dare to try it ...
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Insanity Streak

SO, this is the thread for everything poetry, whether it be about our favourite poetry or the poetry we write ourselves. This is the place to get and honest opinion about your pieces and how you could improve. Plus if anyone knows of a really talented poet on here, please do share! Everyone is welcome here, even if you don't write poetry and are pretentious or not. A few things I will not tolerate is excessive swearing, discrimination and destructive criticism. So with that, PRETENTIOUS POETS UNITE!

9/15/2010 . Edited 9/15/2010 #1
Xevious Cat

Yay well done on making a topic :)

Well I don't really write poetry except the three random ones I've posted ... I swear I write narratives!

But people who post on this forum, read Insanity Streak's poems. They win!!

9/15/2010 #2
Insanity Streak

Aww, thanks a bunch.

9/15/2010 #3
Xevious Cat

No problem!

By the way I'll give you the information for the three part poem I found that I liked ...

9/15/2010 #4
Xevious Cat

Right the author is 'Inkyblack'. It's 'Birth of a Poem' Part I, II and III. I really liked it anyway :)

9/15/2010 #5
Insanity Streak

Thanks a bunch, my dear.

9/15/2010 #6
Rurik Lyutsifer

Thank god for this topic! I wanted to ask the good poets a question :) I had this idea, after reading a poem thing in a book of my mums, of writing a poem, like a love poem, but not directed at a person. For example, I wanted to write a poem about Australia and Scotland and my feelings for both, but like, as if they were both people. I know it sounds weird and dumb, but I got stuck on the idea... Does anyone want to like... cut me down before I embarass myself? =P

EDIT BY XEVIOUS CAT: It's thank, not thnag :)

9/15/2010 . Edited by Xevious Cat, 9/15/2010 #7
Insanity Streak

If you want to write a love poem, by all means write one. All my romance poetry is taken from my imagination and has never been inspired by any events, sadly. I don't think it's stupid. You would be using personification as one of the main techniques as the structure for your poem. If you want, bring the book of poems in and I can have a look. Now you have to decide whether you are going to have a rhyming scheme or if the poem is going to be free verse. I hope that helps and if you get a little stuck I can always help. Ciao.

9/15/2010 #8
Rurik Lyutsifer

Yay! Thanks =D Yeah, freeverse is more my type of thing. I love rhyming poems but I cant really write them :'( But I'm sure you will find your Italian jack jack one day, and then you can write splendid "from experience" love poems =P

9/15/2010 #9
Insanity Streak

Haha, Italian Jack Jack... sigh *wears dreamy smile* oh well. I hope your poem is going good so far.

9/15/2010 #10
Rurik Lyutsifer

Thanks. Its gonna be set out a little bit like the contributing poem because I'm not great at poetry, but I wanted to try it out so.. Just working on it...

9/15/2010 #11
Xevious Cat

Lol go Rurik go! I'm terrible at poetry ... Though I get good reviews which is odd ...

9/15/2010 #12
Insanity Streak

I got another idea for a poem. I would like to do it Jack- and- Jill- esque. Possibly a romance poem or a growing up poem... THoughts anyone???

9/20/2010 #13
Xevious Cat

Haha awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Jack and Jill ............

9/20/2010 #14
Rurik Lyutsifer

Awww. I just went to comment and realised that you've already written the poem. :'(

9/22/2010 #15
Insanity Streak

I have a poem that I would like people to look at if they can. It's called 21. I will be posting a few more as well. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE tell me what you think.

10/13/2010 #16
Xevious Cat

Heh heh heh ... thanks for the review on my carrot poem Britty!

11/26/2010 #17
Insanity Streak

Just to let people know, if I post the poems I want to post and I mean ALL of them, I think I will have at least six extra poems to my list. :)

11/26/2010 #18
Insanity Streak

You are welcome Cat 8] LOVE YOU MALCOLM!

11/26/2010 #19
Xevious Cat

Oh my goodness ... I'm going to hide my head in shame now! I can't work that fast! But .. maybe it's time for a spontaneous poem ...

11/26/2010 #20
Insanity Streak

Haha, but I still have yet to type them up and my broccoli poem is a haiku so it is only three lines but it was a biatch of a haiku to do jsut to keep iin with the syllable structure and keep the lines I wanted.

11/26/2010 #21
Xevious Cat

Ah ... I forget the structure of a Haiku to be honest!

11/26/2010 #22
Insanity Streak

It has three lines, each line has a certain amount of syllables to it. It goes: 5,7,5. Easy right? Sometimes no.

11/26/2010 #23
Insanity Streak

Okay, so to all my pretentious poets out there I have a bit of a poetic pickle: I want to write a big, epic poem (something that would be split into about three to five parts and then within each part a certan amount of stanzas within each part. It would be a rhyming one but this is the part where I need your help.

I need a topic to write about. I was thinking of doing mythology but then there are so many poems that revolve around greek and roman mythology I was thinking of having my focus on either Aztec or Egyptian mythology. If you guys have any ideas give me a PM or perhaps you have another idea instead of mythology.

Basically, I want to write a poem that I can put a bit of detail into and do some research with.

So that's pretty much it. Help me! haha.

Plus if anyone is interested in writing a poem with me- a serious poem keep in mind- I would love to do that also.

12/7/2010 #24
Xevious Cat

Firstly, serious poems + me = FAIL. :)

Secondly, do Egyptian Mythology. How about something like this? -

Anubis walked down the street

His jackal-side craving a treat.

He walked into a shop

Saw a sweet lollipop

But went past in search of human meat!

12/8/2010 #25
Insanity Streak

Haha, too true Cat, too true.

Yeah I was gonna do that but now I am slightly verging towards aztec perhaps. I love how they would sacrifice people to satisfy the blood lust of the sun god. i find it quite interesting,

YOUR LIMERICK RULES!!! Do you know how hard they are to write? You got the rhythm in this poem spot on and you didn't even have to try, you have talent for writing poems like this. Oh you should post this!

12/8/2010 #26
Xevious Cat

Oh so that's what that poem's called ... I thought that structure had a name ... I would do one on Aztecs but I can't think spontaneously right now :)

12/8/2010 #27
Rurik Lyutsifer

The whole Aztec thing sounds really dramatic Britt, I reckon it would be an awesome poem. And Cat, I loves your Limerik

12/8/2010 #28
Insanity Streak

Yeah, I like Aztec and it's different. Everything in the mythology section is either Ancient Egyptian, Greek or Roman or something similar. I was thinking of starting a story with the Aztec myths. So you know how the people would sacrifice people to satisfy the blood lust of teh sun god- well I think it would make a really cool twist if you compare the sun god to a vampire. And with that there is a small society that goes around killing creatures and the Sun God is next on there list! Ha I should start writing now!!!

12/9/2010 #29
Xevious Cat

That's an awesome idea! Go for it!

12/9/2010 #30
Forum Moderators: Xevious Cat CrystalBeth, Megs On Toast, Fair Charlotte, Rurik Lyutsifer, Insanity Streak, Forrests
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member