What are your writing plans for the future?
You love to write, but how far are you willing to take your writing?
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
DuckyTutu
Not bad for a goal, right? Not as high an expectation.
4/20/2007 #1
JokersKurse
I think that you can pull it off, I have a similar goal but I'm shooting for twenty-five.

Pretty much what I'm saying is that you should definitley keep that goal in mind, who knows chances are, it'll happen!

4/24/2007 #2
dog problems
i'm aiming for twentyfive as well. i'm not talking novel-length work, i'm talking published novel. it's not going to be my career or anything, but i'll be damned if i don't want to see my name in print.

- colleen

4/28/2007 #3
Jordan A. Masters
30? Not too high. Mine might be a little impossible; finish it before I'm 21, and publish it before I'm 23. I certainly wouldn't be the youngest person to have a published novel, but hey...I want to do what I love for as long as possible.
7/13/2007 #4
dog problems
How old are you now, if you don't mind me asking? 21 might not be such an unreasonable goal, especially not if you're 19 or younger.

(If I could, I'd definitely write for a living, but I'm planning on editing -- it's easier to get jobs.)

- Colleen

8/4/2007 #5
Jordan A. Masters
I'm 20...I'll be 21 in like, 5 months.

Although...technically, since I just finished it, I guess I'm halfway there...

And good on the editing! You're right, it's a lot easier to find editing jobs, but I'd literally go insane doing it.

-Jor

8/5/2007 #6
Fantasy China Story
Actually, you wouldn't be the youngest person to have a published novel. Christopher Paolini had printed/published (I forget) Eragon by the time he was 16.

My goal is to beat him. and I am also half-way there, having written a novel by the time I was 13 and 1 month old. It took me a year and a half to write. But it needs to be filled out with more detail sadly....

9/19/2007 #7
Jordan A. Masters
Yeah but no offense to him or you, he pretty much copied ideas straight out of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings. And I'm not looking to set records. I don't want media attention unless I have like 8 books published by the age of 30. That would be cool. Considering my first book sets up a lot of series work, that's actually entirely possible, too... By the way, that aforementioned book is actually on my profile. It's "call sign," if you will, is SSR. It's the only long thing on my profile that starts with S, you can't miss it. Only the first chapter's up, though...school's kind of kicking me when I'm down right now and the second chapter's kicking me in the teeth at the same time.

You wrote a novel at 13? Wow! The only thing I can remember finishing when I was about that age that was about novel length was actually a fanfic, of all things. Good writing exercise, but hardly publishable. :)

Actually, I should probably clear something up. The "first book" I mentioned is a new one. The one I just finished, I just got told is "not currently publishable at this time." Because it's the first book in a series. Kinda sucks, but I have to say it's not totally unexpected. And this news actually came from two published writer friends of mine who I trusted to read and review the book (I sat there while they read it and went over it with me).

So here's my advice to you guys. If you are serious about getting published, you're better off writing a book that doesn't need room for a sequel/prequel/twin. You're better off writing a stand-alone novel the first time rather than trying for a series. Agents/editors/publishers want to make sure you're reliable before they risk money on three or four books at a time from you; they'd rather make sure you can produce one rather than have you throw up your hands and give up halfway through the series. And don't cite JK Rowling; there's exceptions to every rule, and she was a major one. (Besides, I already tried that one.)

10/2/2007 . Edited 10/2/2007 #8
Fantasy China Story
yes he totally copied those stories.

sounds like a good book though

I'm just a wowing person, aren't I? ha lol

oh so cool! I am definately jealous!

thanks for the advice!

10/2/2007 #9
Jacno
After talking to a couple publishing companies based in my town, I've realized that getting published is actually easier than most people think. It's just depends on what you want out of it.

I went to a local company (they do not have a national distributor), and told them I was just looking for a small, pressing by pressing contract. Which means that they would print x number of copies, then depending on how they sell, they may print more. I also told them that I was not concerned with making money- which allows them to sell for slightly cheaper, which increases the chances the will be sold.

The other company I talked to has a national distributor, and said that everything is conditional, the number of copies in the first run depends on how much money I want per copy, how long the novel is, the popularity of the genre, number of pressings I want initially, and reliability of my writing (how long it took me to write the novel since I signed my contract).

With the local company, I was able to speak directly to the owner, who was very friendly, polite, and seemed to be the type of person who would only publish stories he personally enjoyed. At the other company, I spoke to an editor (the only employee who wasn't out to lunch who knew how things worked), who was also polite, and very helpful. Both asked if I wanted to come in and talk in person about the story - if the company liked it I could begin to work on forming a contract immediately - which I declined for the reason that I have only just begun putting the concepts on paper, and research still needs to be done.

Both encouraged me to work hard on writing up to a second (of three before the final) draft, then come forward with that. They both strongly recommended that I return to them, as they are always eager to publish first-time works - I assume the fact that I am not interested in making a lot of money makes them more willing to publish my work.

So I guess what I'm saying is that if you're flexible, the publisher will be too. Local companies, obviously, are easier to work with, and probably are more willing to publish your work period, since you're a local author. It really helps, also, if you have some sort of legal representation- lawyer, agent, anyone who can act as a firm legal voice in regards to contracts, someone who you trust as much as yourself (maybe more), and someone who actually wants to represent YOU based on your writing, not the money you may make.

12/1/2007 #10
Simfreak111

Okay, in reply to writing a novel before you are 30 or twenty five, I don't mean to brag or anything, but I have written two before the age of twenty all thanks to the magic and glorious NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month, www.nanowrimo.org) It is a nonprofit organization/contest throughout the month of November that encourages people to buckle down and write a novel in a very short 30 days. I know it sounds farfetched, but it is possible, granted I have only fully finished one novel, but I have written two to the standard of NaNo. Now I know that this seems very daunting and I am not trying to trample your dreams of writing a book by the time you are 30, because that was my dream too until I discovered NaNo. It is awhile off and it probably sounds really stupid, but it is well worth it. I highly encourage anyobdy who is ready to flex a writing muscle to go ahead and challenge yourselves to write at least 50,000 words in 30 days. It is possible people, I did it and so can you (wow that sounds really corny, doesn't it?) Anyway, back to your goal. It is a great goal and I wish you the best of luck. I guarantee that the moment you officialy cross the finish line of completely your novel it will be one of the most memorable achievements of your life, NaNo or not. Good luck and I commend you for setting such high standards for yourself!

Simfreak111

Vote For Me!

http://www.zinch.com/Voting/Regionals.aspx

Caitlin Vandewater, New York

It would mean a lot and I would do that same for you if you ever had the chance!

2/24/2009 #11
Anna Cate
How does one right a novel? I'm picturing a book in a boat that got capsized or something... Writing novels sounds tricky too, but for me it's actually the easy part. Anyone can sit down and write. I've written two complete stories I'd call novels, and several incomplete ones that are certainly novel-length, but that doesn't mean anything more than the fact I was able to sit still for long enough to type out the words. For me, the real challenge is publishing the novel. Once the story is done my brain says, "okay, next project!" To get published I really need to edit my work, fine-tune it, and then send it out and hope that someone, somewhere, will pick it up. The odds are slim, but I'm not going to give up just because the odds aren't in my favor.
3/13/2010 #12
the clockwork gallery

Wow, you guys are a lot older than me...

Hm... My plan is just to get a book published as soon as possible. But before I turn thirty (that's a long time), is a good goal to aim for.

7/31/2012 #13
Forum Moderators: Dani P
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member