Devon Pitlor
A forum to discuss the 67 stories of Devon Pitlor, any and all of your writing-and anything else!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Searcher420

I've heard people say that there is really no such thing as an atheist. But I have been one all my life, and as far as believers go, I have never been particularly respected in that belief. All my life I have been privileged to experience strange things that many other people would not believe, but I am still a total non-adherent to any sentient god-figure. In truth, I embrace atheism as liberating. Sometimes people want to call me a "fallen Catholic" or worse an agnostic, but I am neither. I am anti-god(s). That is what the etymology of the word atheism means. And I am very comfortable with it. People have told me all my life that I cannot be happy or that I am missing something. They have always been wrong. But when I tell them so, they just carry on as believers do.

Does anyone else here (like Devon, I'm sure) embrace atheism? I don't mean just taking a wait and see attitude but rather the mindset of refusal to believe in sentient gods that watch over human and animal activities.

For me, atheism has always been cool.

1/2/2011 #1
Martin Drake
I respect anyone's beliefs or lack thereof. Whatever works for you. Personally, I am more of an agnostic. I believe that there are forces in the universe that are beyond the capacity of a human mind to fully understand, and this by definition would include any superior being or beings. I'm also inclined to think that if they do exist, they probably take little if any interest in our activities. That said, I have always been intrigued by the notion of ancient astronauts. Basically, I try and keep an open mind about everything.
1/2/2011 #2
Devon Pitlor

Gary,

An interesting starting point for discussion. I tend to go with Martin on this one, except that I think you are talking about faith rather than cosmology. It is one thing to accept the possibility of things like Progenitors (who are usually present in my stories) and another to worship them. As Martin notes, I do not think we are worthy of the notice of truly superior beings, and I do not feel they demand our prayer or allegiance. We are not being shepherded by some benevolent sentient forces, IMO. Your view of atheism seems valid enough to me in this aspect. I need to say that I would also classify myself as a total atheist when it comes to worship, but I keep an open mind, as does Martin, to the existence of many, many other forces in the universe---but none of which require worship from us.

The depiction of godheads throughout history is so lame, IMO, as to be a total discredit to the human race. I can't concoct, even in fiction, anything sillier than the Christian mythos, for example. But other established faiths are equally ludicrous. One thing I read into your anti-theism strikes home to me. Having been loosely raised as a "cultural Catholic" in one of the most atheistic countries on Earth, I became a non-believer very early, as did my whole family. I take the Christian myth and HOPE that there is no such nonsense anywhere in the universe. In that way, I am very anti-theistic.

Devon

1/2/2011 #3
Devon Pitlor

Martin,

Ancient astronauts is a subject that has always interested me. I am always looking for an entertaining way of fictionalizing it.

Devon

1/2/2011 #4
Mike707

No. I am not an atheist because there always could be a god and I don't want to be on the wrong side if there is but religion doesn't play much of a role in my life. I won't listen to sermons either from religious nuthatches. I'm glad Devon's stories aren't about some whacko christian godtalk. We need more freedom from religion. From, I said.

1/3/2011 #5
Smartblonde27

I don't know what the hell I am. I hate titles. I was raised Lutheran, but I think we stopped going to church when I was around 10 or so. My immediate family was never very religious especially as time went on. I went along with it for the sake of a few die hard family members but never bought into it much. Growing up everyone I knew was Christian, and yes, afraid of being an outcast, I just did a lot of smiling and nodding until I finally found some other like minded people as I grew older. Up until just a few years ago I still automatically felt the need to feel people out before broaching the subject even though it was a subject I avoided like the plague. I did that until one day when I thankfully snapped out of that ridiculousness for no particular reason and couldn't understand why I ever cared what anyone else thought about my religious preferences, or lack thereof, anyway.

Although I always, always, try to keep an open mind about just about everything....I guess you can call me an atheist. I just don't believe in any mystical god, at all. If there is one, I guess I'm screwed, so I may as well enjoy myself. However like both Martin and Devon mentioned, I am rather fond of the notion of ancient astronauts. It seems far more plausible to me than some immortal bored guy in a cloud deciding to *poof* an ant farm into existence to occupy his time one day.

All that said, I still also try to be completely tolerant of the beliefs of others. So long as they don't show up on my doorstep in suits to throw pamphlets at me. They get to deal with Loki, my dog, who is ironically named after a pagan god.

1/3/2011 #6
Smartblonde27

I don't know what the hell I am. I hate titles. I was raised Lutheran, but I think we stopped going to church when I was around 10 or so. My immediate family was never very religious especially as time went on. I went along with it for the sake of a few die hard family members but never bought into it much. Growing up everyone I knew was Christian, and yes, afraid of being an outcast, I just did a lot of smiling and nodding until I finally found some other like minded people as I grew older. Up until just a few years ago I still automatically felt the need to feel people out before broaching the subject even though it was a subject I avoided like the plague. I did that until one day when I thankfully snapped out of that ridiculousness for no particular reason and couldn't understand why I ever cared what anyone else thought about my religious preferences, or lack thereof, anyway.

Although I always, always, try to keep an open mind about just about everything....I guess you can call me an atheist. I just don't believe in any mystical god, at all. If there is one, I guess I'm screwed, so I may as well enjoy myself. However like both Martin and Devon mentioned, I am rather fond of the notion of ancient astronauts. It seems far more plausible to me than some immortal bored guy in a cloud deciding to *poof* an ant farm into existence to occupy his time one day.

All that said, I still also try to be completely tolerant of the beliefs of others. So long as they don't show up on my doorstep in suits to throw pamphlets at me. They get to deal with Loki, my dog, who is ironically named after a pagan god.

1/3/2011 #7
Devon Pitlor

Heidi, Mike, Martin

Gary said that "atheism is liberating" and the those of us who have responded all seem to be sufficiently liberated. You sound like a Lutheran drop out in the same way that Gary and I sound like Catholic drop outs. I suppose the churches have their work cut out dealing with this drop-out-ism. I just don't want to be a part of their campaign.

God who can "poof an ant farm into existence to occupy his time one day." Laugh. That's how I always saw the believers' view. A very bored old white man with passing grudges against nearly everyone. Very funny how you wrote this. Made me laugh. Also, the bit about evangelicals running into your dog with his Norse pagan name. Little touches like these make your writing so enjoyable!

I have never ruled out a sort of weird fate in the universe, however. Whenever something good happens to me, it is usually followed by some really bad luck. So now I am just waiting. Two "kinda good" things happened to me last week--nothing involving money. So now I am waiting for the bad to strike. There is that part of my psychology which I have never been able to escape. Make that three "kinda good things." I seriously am waiting for some shit to fall from the sky on me and very soon. That is probably about as stupid as believing in a god.

Devon

1/3/2011 . Edited 1/3/2011 #8
Doc Woo

These are the facts that I know them to be. We live in a dimension that was created for people to exercise free will without the knowledge that there is a creator. The world that we live in was DESIGNED for people to be able to deny the existence of a creator if they so choose. Why is that you might wonder?

It was designed this way because the number one rule that all spiritual beings must uphold is 'never violate the free will choices of another' Think about it, how could people truly exercise free will if they could NOT deny the existence of a creator? It would be impossible for they would fear the creator and therefor limit their choices to ones they felt would be acceptable to the creator, and that would negate free will.

Another fact is, reincarnation is not a myth. The truth is that you have plenty of lifetimes to advance spiritually. Even if you commit some heinous crime, you will not 'burn in hell' as the myth says. That is possible, but only if life after life you become more and more evil, eventually a point is reached that you are no longer salvageable.

Another fact, christianity bears no resemblance to the lifestyle that Jesus taught and demonstrated. In fact Jesus has more or less disowned the christian religion. Another fact All religion no matter what faith sucks. I know and love Jesus but I hate christianity and do not consider myself a christian. I do not attend church. Religion has caused more problems for the world, more wars, and hatred between men than just about any other cause save for the lust for power and greed, and power and greed are the basis for most religions today

There is much more I could tell, but only if someone is actually interested, as bible thumping is a drag, and my point is not force anything on those who are not interested in discussing it

1/11/2011 #9
Martin Drake
Doc Woo, I'd be interested in reading more, particularly the reasons why you have come to believe the things you do. Your viewpoint seems much more well thought out than the typical bible thumper, and I am curious as to how you have become convinced of these things. You might want to start a new thread, though, as this one is supposed to be about atheism.
1/11/2011 #10
Martin Drake
Reincarnation is also an interesting topic and one that Devon has adressed in his unique fashion in both the Mary Smith and Tommy Calvino stories. Check them out if you haven't already.
1/11/2011 #11
Doc Woo

Devon, the reason that you have bad luck after good is found in your own words

Whenever something good happens to me, it is usually followed by some really bad luck. So now I am just waiting. Two "kinda good" things happened to me last week--nothing involving money. So now I am waiting for the bad to strike. There is that part of my psychology which I have never been able to escape.

The reason is simple...........it's because you believe it. Thought is one of the most powerful forces in the universe. Speaking/writing your thoughts unleashes them to act upon the forces of nature, it causes them to be released into manifestation. Repitition of this reinforces the power of the thought.

Many years ago I used to have a saying, "when things look grim, thats right before they really get grim" Then I realized one day, that my saying and believing that, caused that scenario to occur in my life, and it did. So I quit saying it and quit thinking it as well, and set out to speak only positive towards my personal situation. If I felt sick, I would not say it even if it were true. If I was worried about money, I would never talk about it.

I found out that not speaking negative thoughts actually lessoned their occurrence inn my life. Anyway you already indicated that this was a part of your psych. Try not saying it any longer. Try Whenever this thought comes to you, think the opposite, "I had some good luck, that means more is coming" say those same words as an experiment, and see what happens

1/12/2011 #12
Forum Moderators: Devon Pitlor
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member