Historical Stories
For discussion of the posted stories and writing historical stories.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Bloodflower
For me, I always find it easiest to write stories set in the Regency era or B.C.

What I've observed is that a whole lot of people have this major thing for writing WW2, particularly Holocaust stories, although genocide and mass murder aren't topics that I'd touch with a bargepole. I'm not positive I'm capable of either enough sensitivity or maturity to give them the treatment that they need and deserve.

10/27/2006 #1
dbz 77
For me, I always find it easiest to write stories set in the Regency era or B.C.

What I've observed is that a whole lot of people have this major thing for writing WW2, particularly Holocaust stories, although genocide and mass murder aren't topics that I'd touch with a bargepole. I'm not positive I'm capable of either enough sensitivity or maturity to give them the treatment that they need and deserve.

What Holocaust stories have you read?

Michael

10/27/2006 #2
Bloodflower
With regards to published literature, the better part of the canon -- Anne Frank, obviously, Schindler's Ark, one or two by the guy who was forced into helping out with the experiments at Birkenau, as well as a pretty significant amount of children's fiction.

On FP there's some good stuff, which I can't find the links for at the moment...

10/27/2006 #3
Lord-of-Fools
I don't think there's any 'easy' period to write about. Obviously if you've learned more about certain time periods, those are going to be more familiar, and obviously if there's more source material for various eras, it would be easier. For example, I had a story that I tried to set in the Romanian Theatre of World War One... didn't work that well because there's not a lot available about Romania during World War One from where I live. If I was really, really serious about it (that story was a backstory to the pre-WW2 one I'm writing now), and I'd had the financial backing, I would probably have had to go to Romania to make it accurate.
10/28/2006 #4
Bloodflower
Thing is i've ended up studying variants of Hitler, the Holocaust and his regime at least once a year since the fifth grade...I feel absolutely guilty and callous saying maybe i've "overdone" the holocaust because really there's always an element to it that gets overlooked, always a picture that makes a person wonder at the cruelty of the world.

At least, for me, in that respect, familiarity with the subject material isn't necessarily the problem (and despite what i just said, i'm not convinced that it is.)

your romanian story sounds pretty interesting, actually, although as far as i'm aware the state of romania didn't exist politically until after the paris peace conferences in 1919...?

that's the thing about well-written historicals; you can learn so much from them.

10/28/2006 #5
Sarika
I was really interested in the Holocaust, and so I've written a couple stories on it. Looking back, I wonder if I have any right at all to try and convey other people's feelings. But I also think that it's important to tell the story again and again because (well, when done the "right" way) this sort of thing should never happen again.

As for which period is easiest to write about? For me... probably Ancient Greece or Middle Ages. Sometimes I don't place my stories in any specific time period to avoid obvious inaccuracies ^_^

10/28/2006 #6
Lord-of-Fools
your romanian story sounds pretty interesting, actually, although as far as i'm aware the state of romania didn't exist politically until after the paris peace conferences in 1919...?

Ahh true. By Romanian Theatre I guess I was referring to the territory, which was taken by the Germans in 1916-17. Most of it was set in the Trannsylvanian Alps, but my poor character ended up having things happen to him that got him sent home. Actually perhaps he was lucky...

12/13/2006 #7
London Blaise
Personally, I find that writing about WWII is the easiest because information about it is so accessible. I mean, it isn't like I could go out and find someone who could give me a firsthand account on what it was like to live during the Punic Wars.

Actually, writing about WWII might be a little too easy for me; it seems to be all I do lately. Perhaps I ought to have a try at some of the time periods the rest of you mentioned. Any specific advice?

3/31/2007 #8
Madison L
I agree with Lord-of-Fools; there isn't necessarily a defined era that is 'easiest' to write about. It all boils down to how interested you are in the period, and what sort of information is available to the general public. It's true that there is plenty of information about WWII and the Holocaust, so many people choose to write about it. In the case of the Regency Era, I think some writers mimic more than they research, which I'm probably guilty of. It's why I stay out of that era unless I'm reading for pleasure.

Any era becomes difficult to write in as soon as you involve actual historical figures. That might be a given for you folks, but it doesn't seem to be for others. I don't know how many times I've wanted to throw my computer on the ground because the dates don't match my story-lines. Anyways, that's my two cents.

5/22/2007 #9
WaterFox
I find that the ancient cultures: Egypt, Greece, and Rome etc... are the easiest to write about for their is much room for creativity. We know much about those cultures, but not 'everything' as we would would WWII or Regency.
5/23/2007 #10
ohhellothen
The easiest for me is Tudor England, since you can kill off whomever you want to and it will still be realistic as pretty much everyone was executed back then
7/30/2007 #11
Screaming Dean
Writing about World War Two is easiest for me because I've read so much about it over the years. But despite that I'm nowhere near knowing everything about it.
11/30/2007 #12
Scottish Princess

Easieat for me would be basically anything related to Scotland, especially the Clans fighting each other and the whole William Wallace/Robert the Bruce time period. I'm a HUGE Scotland fan, even though I've never left the USA, and I read alot about the country's history.....oh, and to me, Scotland is its own country, it ain't a part of Great Britain.

Another time period that I find very easy to write in is the Old West, or to put it more precisely, 1840-1880 in America, more the South and West than the North or East.

But, really, it just depends on what you're interested in, what you enjoy reading and researching about and what you already know alot about. I mean if you absolutely HATE the whole Ancient Roman/Greece time period but you (for some odd reason) want to write a novel about it....then you're going to have to do alot of research on a subject that you dislike. It wouldn't be any fun....at all.

4/25/2008 . Edited 4/25/2008 #13
DaCivilWarBear

When I first started writing about the Civil War, it was one of the hardest things I'd ever done. There was so much information to learn and keep knowing. When I look back at some of the old CW projects on my profile, I wince at the glaring historical errors that I see!

Of course, it still is very difficult sometimes, but I have so much knowledge stacked up in my head now that most of it comes easily as breathing. :)

7/7/2008 . Edited 7/7/2008 #14
theLouvre

i have to absolutely 100% agree with you about how the number of writers who write about world war ii/holocaust is going up rapidly. and i have to agree with you - i don't think i can handle the genocide with the maturity & respect it deserves - a lot of writers, me included, will not intentionally stretch some things in the holocaust, but they accidentally go overboard or just screw up the whole topic.

oh, but i write holocaust. i'm still learning the borders of what's acceptable and what's not. oh, and perhaps the crusade's era...i'm such a european history junkie.

7/10/2008 #15
Witchy Rain Girl

I think that more people are writing about the Holocaust becuase people are learning more about it these days than they used to.

I think for me the easiest time period would be The Salem Witch Trials and WW2.

7/14/2008 #16
Robespierre Cincinnati

I like the 1600-1800 time period: its far enough away from modern times that it feels like history, while they still had reasonably modern technology.

8/1/2009 #17
Leisie93

I think that the easiest time period to write in is in the 20th century because that's where I find most of the information. But I find that to be a bit boring; I like period in which I have to dig deep for info. I'm just posted a story called, "In The Name of Love and Art," about late 19th century literary salons in Paris, the artistic kind, not the elite philosophical ones. Any comments, reviews, and information about the time period would be extremely useful and very appreciated.

10/30/2009 #18
Writer Without Inspiration

Lord-of-Fools: I'm a Romanian, should you need any information, feel free to ask me. :)

As for the easiest period, I think it's the one we are most familiar with (from books, movies).

12/5/2009 . Edited 12/5/2009 #19
Chasya Elishma

I find the easiest story to write is any story from a historical sketch where you find yourself wishing the story was written. I felt this way at least when I found a dusty book of just such stories that sparked my interest. Still writing stories from ancient history has both pros and cons. Sure there is more wiggle room as regards creative expression but there is also sketchy history in some cultures ravaged by wars; thus, leaving few clues. The further back I go the more I end up making up and fearing I might have made something up that had an answer that evaded me or that what we wrote is just silly historically.

Still I write about St. Nicholas because the sketches deserve to be read, the stories should never have been lost. These rare gems speak even today and do not belong only as sketches lost deep in the dusty forgotten unread sections of library but where everyone can rediscover why once every boy wanted to be named Nicholas and every girl Nichol.

12/28/2009 #20
Enigmaticrose4

I find the times during the middle ages or regency period easiest. Mayhap because I usually read books set in those time periods and so I'm most familiar with them.

7/1/2010 #21
Alex Rashid

I think it's easiest to write in Egyptian era, but thats just me. I have an egyptian life RP if anybody wants to check that out. :)

12/6/2011 #22
xclearskiesx

I'm the same, but more about France and England. I've spent tons of time in both, and I sort of have a love affair with Provincial France. It's for that reason that I love writing WWI and WWII stories; it affected so many people, and in the case of WWI- not too many people really know much about it. We always focus on the big players, but I love to focus on the everyday experiences- a lot of which I base off of stories told to me by my grandparents (who lived in blitzed London and occupied France respectively).

I suppose it's easiest for me to write about the early 20th century, since so much political change occurred and so many lives were changed- there are so many possibilities. (Russian nationalists run out of their country at the fall of the Romanovs; Japanese people trying to adapt to a constantly changing culture; Germans handling the fall-out after WWI; so on.)

I agree, it's easiest to write about what you love and know most about. I bet if I sat down, I could write a novel on the War of 1812, since I spent an entire month on a ship sailing the Great Lakes and learning about it- but since I didn't enjoy the subject, it would be hard.

9/5/2012 #23
Roka Polaris

I probably find it easiest to write something that is set in the 19th century, preferably the second half of it, because that is what I find most interesting. As to the place of setting, probably Victorian England would be "easiest" as there is so much research material out there, tons of movies to watch. I would personally probably not find it too hard to write something set in Austria-Hungary of that time, as this is where I live (Austria, that is, though I have lived in Hungary for a short period of time too) Though I think when taken seriously it will never be quite easy, though certainly enjoyabel.

For the story I am currently writing, I chose France in 1875 and I have quite some research to do, but I am enjoying it, also if that means that the writing will only progress very slowly. But that is one of the best parts in writing historical fiction, that you never stop learning new things.

2/21/2013 #24
Rain Raven's Rose

Personally, I believe that 1500/1600 Japan is easy to write in because their just so many charismatic things about it. I never got bored while writing my stories; moreover, it seems to interest readers. I think I have one called "Sight" on here

2/27/2013 #25
Forum Moderators: dbz 77
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member