Club Blitz
WELCOME ALL TO ONE OF THE BEST FORUMS ON EARTH! OKay, maybe not, but there's a lot of cool folks here and I had to just hire a couple more mods. So come on in!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
surfercharlie25

Well, the thread title is a little self-explanatory, but here it is: basically, if you've read a book that you think others may enjoy and/or learn from, you can come here to recommend it! Just tell us the name and a little of why you recommend it!

To give these reviews and recommendations a lilttle more substance, let's stick to this template:

Title:

Author:

Three things you liked most about the book (and why):

Other books those who liked this one may like:

If you want to suggest short stories, you can do it in this template too.

3/22/2011 . Edited 3/25/2011 #1
Frap

And the name of the movie is.............

3/22/2011 #2
surfercharlie25

Appaloosa (heh, heh) :)

3/22/2011 #3
Tegh

I read a LOT...best way to learn how to become a better author honestly. What I try to find, now that I'm really thinking about trying to add my name to the Fantasy list at B&N/Borders lol, is debut books by newer authors. The one I'm reading now, that's pretty interesting, is "The Last Page" by Anthony Huso. Also really like Brandon Sanderson's Debut, but can't recall the name off the top of my head.

3/22/2011 #4
Frap

Okay, I'm currently working on three books. Just to give me some time away from writing and to help with my vocabulary and writing style.

John Conrad's - Heart of Darkness - Set in 1890 during the time Europe was expanding and the ivory trade was prominent. Slave trade was the way of all business and everyone who owned a port controlled a part of the world. The book is a no thrill sort, but it is romantic in the language of how the narrator Marlow remembers the ocean and seas and damning when he speaks of the autrocities against the slaves to build.

Then there is Pearl S. Buck's - Pavilion of Women - ( I haven't started it, but its to begin next week possibly) Set in China and speaks about Madame Wu and her marriage to someone her parents chose. The guy is wealthy and at forty she divorces him....So I'll see what happens from there. I remembered this from high school, but I didn't read it.

Olivia Coolidge - The Maid of Artemis - The daughter of a well known king of Athens has to sacrifice is daughter to the goddess Artemis. I'm reading this so that's all I'll put up for now, but that's what it is in a nutshell.

I love to do stories that are nothing alike so if I get bored with one I can easily jump to another.

3/23/2011 #5
Lasfter

I know several stories that simply MUST be read in one's lifetime.

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland - The original novel written in 1865. A girl named Alice who falls down a rabbit hole into a fantasy world populated by peculiar and anthropomorphic creatures.

F. Scott Fitzgerald, The Great Gatsby - Nick Carraway, the narrator, is a young bachelor from a patrician Midwestern family, who graduates from Yale in 1915. After fighting in World War I, he returns to the Midwest before settling in New York City to "learn the bond business."

Isabel Allende, House of Spirits - The story details the life of the Trueba family, spanning four generations, and tracing the post-colonial social and political upheavals of the Latin American country they live in.

Margaret Atwood, Handmaid's Tale - Dystopian future, really horrific stuff.

These are all very mature, beautifully written pieces of literary fiction. The epiphanies I've had thinking about these books have been amazing. Just to warn you, House of Spirits and Handmaiden's Tale aren't for the young or weak-hearted.

3/23/2011 #6
surfercharlie25

Totally agreed in regards to The Great Gatsby! Amazing book; none of the film versions do it justice :)

3/23/2011 #7
Hokuto Uchiha

If you like fantasy, then I suggest Terry Goodkind's Sword of Truth book series.

Oh, also, I totally agree with The Great Gatsby. I also like To Kill a Mockingbird.

3/23/2011 #8
surfercharlie25

Oh, I totally missed the Heart of Darkness post! Oops :)

Another excellent book, if you can handle the darkness of the piece. I was personally introduced to it through the movie Apocalypse Now (story set in Vietnam), but... yeah :)

That's the same book, right? I noticed that you stated John Conrad was the author. Is it a different book than the Joseph Conrad book, or did Joseph Conrad not write Heart of Darkness at all? It's been a while :)

3/23/2011 #9
Frap

Heh, I messed up the name...Sorry. It is Joseph...Lack of sleep.

3/24/2011 #10
surfercharlie25

Okay, so I haven't given a recommendation in a while, so here's one:

Title: The Inner Circle

Author: T.C. Boyle

A little about it (from Publishers Weekly): Released in the late 1940s and early '50s, the Kinsey Reports, the compilations of a scientific study that attempted to quantify male and female sexual behavior, shocked Americans with revelations about their sexuality. Indiana University professor Alfred Kinsey's obsessive belief that the human need for sex is little different from animal instinct, and his iconoclastic research methods (including voyeurism and personal interactions), make Kinsey (called "Prok" by students and intimates) a fitting subject for Boyle's (Drop City) irrepressible imagination. In this provocative fictional reconstruction of Kinsey's influence on sexual and societal mores, Boyle's narrator is John Milk, a naïve undergraduate at IU when he becomes Prok' s assistant, the first of the eventual "inner circle" of dedicated disciples. The irony and the drama of this mesmerizing novel lie in Milk's unquestioning acceptance of his idol's demands, and the gradual moral corruption that ensues from such occupational obligations as serving as Kinsey's partner in homosexual sex while also bedding Prok's compliant wife and eventually offering his own wife in group sex activities. Boyle's narrative brio accelerates as other members of the inner circle and their wives respond to Kinsey's manipulative charisma, while the professor's increasingly uninhibited and egotistical demands test the bonds of marital fidelity. If Milk's unwavering idealism begins to seem unlikely and his recognition of the spiritual emptiness of mechanistic sex and the damage to his marriage is a little late in coming, Boyle nonetheless maintains his mix of irony and emotional fidelity with buoyant wit. In the end, the novel can be read as a case study of the price paid by ordinary human beings when they become the apostles to men of genius.

Four things you like most about the book and why:

-The writing style is very nice, very easy to read.

-The book is full of interesting characters, particularly the famous (and very real) Dr. Kinsey and his assistant, John Milk.

-The book just makes you want to read more and more, with erotically charged sex scenes (and it's not gratuitous, either; I mean, come on, it's about the man who made the study of sex his bread and butter) and dry wit laced all the way throughout the novel.

-There's lots of realistic period flavor in the book. This book is set from 1939 through World War II, and the book captures the feel of the era very well.

A Word of Warning: Unless you are very mature, I wouldn't recommend this book to anybody below the age of eighteen. There's no foul language or violence, but, because of the subject matter, this book is rife with sex and talk about sex. This is not gone about in a raunchy, gross way, but still, this book is for mature readers only.

5/26/2011 #11
RedX9

title: the stephanie plum series (1-15) I'm not sure if the author is continuing

author: janet evanovich

three things I like: crime solving is the core, comedy is gold in this series as well, family, friendship, romance, thrillers and action. It has everything done right in the bag

the characters are all really well done, each has its own unique personality, no character in the series is boring (even for the fillers)

A real page turner. This is the only book which I could complete within 2-3 days

5/31/2011 #12
surfercharlie25

Love those books, Red! The latest is my personal favorite :) They're a nice mix between screwball comedies like BRINGING UP BABY and HIS GIRL FRIDAY and action stories :)

And speaking of comedies, here's my recommendation:

Title: My Life as an Experiment: One Man's Humble Quest to Improve Himself by Living as a Woman, Becoming George Washington, Telling No Lies and Other Radical Tests by A.J. Jacobs

Basic Synopsis: Jacobs seeks to improve himself by taking on radical challenges for himself, usually taking on about a month. He does things like trying "Extreme Honesty" (always telling the truth, no matter what the cost or how many feelings one might hurt), cutting out ALL multitasking, doing EVERY SINGLE THING his wife tells him to without question, and outsourcing his personal life, among other things. There's also chapters on impersonating a movie star at the Academy Awards, helping his kids' nanny with her love life by setting up and operating her dating profile (impersonating her), and being forced by an actress to pose n*** for the magazine he works for (he's an editor at Esquire).

Three Things I Like:

-This book is really, truly funny, and not in a stupid way. Jacobs is intelligent and witty, and the humor doesn't insult your intelligence.

-It's fun to read about a person who does all the things that most of us would be afraid to do ourselves.

-This is just a personal preference, but my favorite parts of the book are the anecdotes about his three boys. They're ramunctious and rowdy and smart. Sounds like there's never a dull moment at his house.

6/19/2011 #13
Forum Moderators: Frap Spiral Architect, Hokuto Uchiha, YFIQ, surfercharlie25, Rosemarysgraden001
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member