Club Blitz
WELCOME ALL TO ONE OF THE BEST FORUMS ON EARTH! OKay, maybe not, but there's a lot of cool folks here and I had to just hire a couple more mods. So come on in!
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
surfercharlie25

I thought it might be fun to have a thread where we could learn from those who went before us: those writers who were published (and hence probably have something useful to say). I thought I'd start with some of my favorites. These cover a wide range of topics, but they all fall under the heading of writing. Feel free, of course, to add your own :)

"Here is a lesson in creative writing. First rule: Do not use semicolons. They are transvestite hermaphrodites representing absolutely nothing. All they do is show you've been to college." - Kurt Vonnegut

"If my doctor told me I had only six minutes to live, I wouldn't brood. I'd type a little faster." - Isaac Asimov

"Make up a story... For our sake and yours forget your name in the street; tell us what the world has been to you in the dark places and in the light. Don't tell us what to believe, what to fear. Show us belief's wide skirt and the stitch that unravels fear's caul." - Toni Morrison

"The first draft of anything is s**t." - Ernest Hemingway

"I love writing. I love the swirl and swing of words as they tangle with human emotions." - James A. Michener

"Cut out all these exclamation points. An exclamation point is like laughing at your own joke." - F. Scott Fitzgerald

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." - Jack London

"I want to write the Boston Marathon of run-on sentences. And since it'll be so long, I'll replace all the commas with the word Gatorade, to help push people through it." - Jarod Kintz

"Any word you have to hunt for in a thesaurus is the wrong word. There are no exceptions to this rule." - Stephen King

"I want to create a seventeen-syllable word that encompasses the human condition, and then use that word to form the world's most perfect haiku." - Jarod Kintz (again)

"That's what fiction is for. It's for getting at the truth when the truth isn't sufficient for the truth." - Tim O'Brien

"When writing a novel a writer should create living people; people not characters. A character is a caricature." - Ernest Hemingway

Okay, that's it for now. Your guys's turn.

9/11/2012 . Edited 9/11/2012 #1
Forum Moderators: Frap Spiral Architect, Hokuto Uchiha, YFIQ, surfercharlie25, Rosemarysgraden001
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member