The Anything Forum
Talk about anything! Even swiss cheese! Or... gasp! Mozarella.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Zdragow

I was unsure of where to post this exactly, but here goes...

Alright, so you know when you go to confirm your Acceptance of Guidelines and those content ratings are displayed at the bottom? I have a question (or a few) about the level of content that can be included in a story, in specifics. Where it says that MA material is not tolerated, what is defined as MA material exactly? Sexual content? In the 'M' category it says that it can include references to violence, but can M material be published or is it not tolerated the same as MA material? How far can the violence extend to in M material?

The reasoning behind these questions is the fact that in the story I've been planning out, I've written it as anything but happy. There's violence, murder, death, war, a small bit of (non-descriptive) torture. I'm honestly just wondering if these factors can be included in my story before I even publish it. I want to make sure that this would be acceptable so I do not inadvertently/unintentionally break the rules.

4/26/2012 #1
Aellepi

You ask an interesting question. :D I'm not sure on this myself, but I'd say that explicit sexual content and/or violence is MA. There can be violence in M but not very, and I mean very, explicit. I guess? Like it says: "possible strong but non-explicit adult themes, references to violence, and strong coarse language".

As an example I'd take the sexual content. In MA, the content is very explicit, like you describe everything that happens during the act. M, on the other hand, should be non-explicit, which would mean that the writer cannot go describing everything that happens after the two MCs go beyond smooching and groping. The writer can describe the smooching (and get it quite hot too) or the groping, but after that the writer should just veer off and leave the MCs at it. (So to speak...) This can be used on the violence issue as well. You'll just have to decide what kind of violence takes the place of "explicit sexual content" and what can be considered "smooching" or "groping".

So, it pretty much is just your decision on what kind of violence is M and what is MA. I've seen a lot of stories posted here and on FF.net that, if you go with my earlier example, should be rated MA rather than M. They were still rated M and posted. (And this answers one of your questions. MA cannot be posted here, M can. If you start entering a new story in 'New Story' you should eventually see that the rating possibilities are from K to M. There is no option MA.) Because of those stories, it doesn't seem to actually matter whether the story is M or MA; people know that reading stories rated M, you can get pretty much anything from 'mild' to 'extremely explicit'. (This applies to FF.net a lot. Trust me. The things I have read my favuorite pairings do... :/)

If you are worried that your story is MA, you can always try to post in some other site. (LJ? dA?? Not sure about those sites as I don't use them.) But because of what I said about the general disregard to the differences in the two Mature ratings, you can always post it here too, under rating M. BUT. Please, do remember to place warnings at the very start of the story. I think that those that are not interested in reading "violence, murder, death, war, a small bit of (non-descriptive) torture" will appreciate the warning and not read your story, which in turn should not make anyone annoyed at you and consequently report you. And even if they do read it, they can only blame themselves if they don't enjoy the story or find it too much.

All in all, it depends on you. As you are the only one to know the exact lengths that the violence goes in your story, only you can rate it. If you are still worried, you can request the help of a beta. (Personally, from your description of what kind of violence is in your story, I'd say to go on ahead and post it as M.)

Hope this helped! :D

Ta!

5/5/2012 #2
Zdragow

Thanks a bunch, mate! Honestly, it's just good to hear some feedback with a relatively good opinion on what content is which. You've helped me to make up my mind, and I think I shall begin transferring my story into the editor posthaste! I'll post the entire thing at one point in time; albeit, it may take a while for the entirety to be posted as I'm still in the process of completing the story.

Again, many thanks for your advice! Maybe you'll chance upon my story as it forms. XD

5/9/2012 #3
Aellepi

You're welcome! :D

Just saw this on FP.com News section:

Please note we would like to clarify the content policy we have in place since 2002. FictionPress.com follows the Fiction Rating system ranging from Fiction K to Fiction M. Although Fiction Ratings goes up to Fiction MA, FictionPress.com since 2002 has not allowed Fiction MA rated content which can contain adult/explicit content on the site. FictionPress.com only accepts content in the Fiction K through Fiction M range. Fiction M can contain adult language, themes and suggestions. Detailed descriptions of physical interaction of sexual or violent nature is considered Fiction MA and has not been allowed on the site since 2002.

That is better. Thank you FP.com and FF.net for putting this up. It certainly clears a few things in my opinion.

6/4/2012 #4
Forum Moderators: Sakka-Fenikkusu Moko Emaki
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member