The Anything Forum
Talk about anything! Even swiss cheese! Or... gasp! Mozarella.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
JeddaraOfJasoom

Hi! I just got an email from someone on FictionPress offering to buy all rights for my story. Would this offer be in any way legitimate? Or should I ignore it as someone trying to take advantage of me? All rights seems like too much, but I do want to get published.

6/21/2012 #1
Lencionim

Sounds like a scam to me. Think of it this way; if you sell ALL rights to this person that means everything, all the hard work you've done, will belong to them. That means your characters won't be yours, your stories won't be yours and you probably won't even be able to attach your name to something that you "sold" to them.

Plus, no one in the real publishing industry is going to sift through fictionpress to find talent. If that were the case, nobody would need to query.

8/7/2012 #2
JeddaraOfJasoom

Too late, I already sold it. I probably shouldn't have, but they sounded legit at the time...

Will I be able to use the same characters in a different story???

8/8/2012 #3
JoeCool989
Unfortunately not, if this person has been sold the rights to your story, anything in the story now belongs to them. Anything you made up is officially their's. Characters, plot, setting, names.... The characters cannot legally be used without permission. This is what it would most likely mean if you sold the rights. Sorry....
8/22/2012 #4
Forum Moderators: Sakka-Fenikkusu Moko Emaki
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member