The Anything Forum
Talk about anything! Even swiss cheese! Or... gasp! Mozarella.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Cinnia Aine

I'm new to fiction press and I can't figure out how to make new chapters with different text in them or add new text to my story. I tried going to the document thing and editing it there, but it didn't work. I also tried exporting the chapters, but that didn't work either. What am I missing? I checked all of the guidelines and they don't have anything on directions for editing. Can anyone help me? Thanks!

--Cinnia

5/21/2008 . Edited 1/25/2009 #1
PersonalCarebear

Personally when I edit a chapter that I've already submitted to fictionpress I fix the chapter in the documents area of the site and save. Then I got to the stories section on the left hand side and click on the edit button next to the story you are trying to fix. Then up near the top there is the contents/chapters button, you click on that. It brings you to all of the chapters that you have submitted. If you want to add a new chapter that's pretty straight forward, look down and you will see a "Add Chapters" button. If you want to update existing chapters then you go to the "Replace chapter" area and replace the chapter accordingly.

It takes time to figure out all the nifty things on fictionpress. It's sort of a matter of trial and error. Plus, it's fun to find all the cool little gadgets you can do with it.

:D hope that was helpful.

--PersonalCarebear

5/21/2008 #2
Cinnia Aine

Thank you so much! It worked! :D

5/21/2008 #3
PersonalCarebear

Haha good. You wouldn't believe how long it took me to figure that out... Glad I could be of service

5/21/2008 #4
Delaney Caldwell

I did the same thing, but it's not working for me! And then I just deleted the story and uploaded it at as a new story, but the new one isn't showing up on my page! And the one I deleted is still on my page, but it's not in my stories.

7/2/2008 #5
PersonalCarebear

How long did you wait for the new story to show up on your profile page? Because it does take fictionpress sometimes ten to fifteen minutes for everything to show up properly. Is it still messed up now?

7/3/2008 #6
Andrew Hollis

I need a bit of help... When I try to update my story under document managment, I copy and paste the new things I've typed from Word, but when I save it it doesn't show up on the one for everyoone to see or in Live Preview. IT only shows up in document management that I posted it.

1/23/2009 #7
concerto49

Document manager allows you to upload documents. You can upload a Word doc as a document. New Story allows you to post a new story. My Stories allows you to add/edit chapters. You use those uploaded docs as your chapters.

1/23/2009 #8
Andrew Hollis

How do I update my story, so to say?

1/25/2009 #9
Cinnia Aine

Well, (this is the problem that I was having and it's already been explained to me by PersonalCarebear), after you save the document in Document Manager, you will need to go to Publish and then to My Stories, or New Story if you haven't published the story yet. If you're trying to edit a story, after you go to My Stories, choose the story you're editing and pick Content/Chapters. Then choose replace chapter such-and-such (at the bottom of Content/Chapters) with the edited document and there's your edited chapter. Document Manager doesn't update the actual story unless you replace the chapter in My Stories. Was this helpful?

1/25/2009 #10
Andrew Hollis

Yeah! Thanks a lot! I couln't figure it out till now. :D

1/26/2009 #11
Cinnia Aine

You're welcome.

1/27/2009 #12
Andrew Hollis

So, this is just a check. When you start a new chapter you select new chapter, then click the exp. button and make changes to it?

1/27/2009 #13
PersonalCarebear

Okay. To start a new chapter. You upload a document into your document manager under the publishing tab. Label the document. Click Browse to find the Word Document on your computer. Then Click submit document. The page should automatically refresh with the document now showing up in the document manager. If you want to make changes to it before you put it into your story (which is something I really recommend) then you need to click edit/preview on the right hand side of the document. Edit the document however you see acordingly and then press save. Then go again to the publish tab and go to my stories. click on the story that you want to update press the content/chapters tab, then you go down to add a chapter and if you want add a title and click on the drop down menu and click on the document you want to place into that new chapter.

If you want to update an existing chapter, you update the existing document on your document manager. Then you basically act like you are going to to add a chapter except you go down to the drop down menu that says replace chapter. Like I told Cinnia, it's basically a trial and error situation. Just press buttons and see what happens. It took me a little while to figure out this new system because the look and placement of everything.

Thanks Cinnia for crediting me! :D

--PersonalCarebear

1/27/2009 #14
Andrew Hollis

Thanks a lot for the info. I been really frustrated because I couldn't figure out what to do. Thanks again. If you have any stories I'll check them out.

1/28/2009 #15
Prim the amazing

Do you know how to delete story's?

9/22/2012 #16
Levitating Narwhal

THere is no My Stories button! D:

1/13/2013 #17
Forum Moderators: Sakka-Fenikkusu Moko Emaki
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member