The Anything Forum
Talk about anything! Even swiss cheese! Or... gasp! Mozarella.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Grawrgles
I love music and all because it's on almost the whole day and I was just curious about what everyone likes to listen to...I listen to almost anything...

besides people like Britney Spears and boy bands and stuff like that...Screamo kind of scares me but there are some that i listen to..

Right now...I like The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus a lot...and it took me forever to remember how to spell apparatus and I think Beautiful Girl is my favorite in the R&B section...I guess...

How about you? Your favorite?

7/9/2007 #1
Sakka-Fenikkusu
I'm into alternative stuff right now. Very lyrically adept. Barenaked Ladies, Modest Mouse, that kind of stuff. And I love Ani DiFranco. I dabble in a bit of everything, but I also manage to be painfully selective. It's interesting.
7/9/2007 #2
Will Sachiksy
I just used an iTunes gift card, so I have a lot of new songs now. I have quite a wide range of music as well even in that set, including metal, blues, alternative, classic rock, piano pieces, and an orchestral work. The only thing that unites the group is that I like all these songs and that most of the songs have guitar in them.

For example, I was just listening to "Fury of the Storm" by DragonForce, "Texas Flood" by Stevie Ray Vaughn & Double Trouble, and "Zanarkand" by Nobuo Uematsu, back to back.

7/9/2007 #3
Burnt Bread
My sister's exposing me to all those Japanese tv dramas right now. This also involves introducing me to all those ridiculous boy bands and j-pop. So, that's what I'm listening to right now - a group of guys that look like girls that can't sing but seem to be very popular and have skilled song writers and composers so that their music gets stuck in your head.

I've never really known how to classify music. I mean, I know rock, I know pop, classical etc. But when it gets to things like indie and emo, that's confusing. I have no idea what screamo would involve, other than... screaming?

7/11/2007 #4
Sakka-Fenikkusu
I've never really known how to classify music. I mean, I know rock, I know pop, classical etc. But when it gets to things like indie and emo, that's confusing. I have no idea what screamo would involve, other than... screaming?

Yeah, same with me. I know pop, rock, classical, folk and country; everything else fades into a sort of blur. I don't think categorization should be made by the sort of sounds bands make, though... rather by how technically good they are. ^^ That'd make 'em easier to find!

7/11/2007 #5
Burnt Bread
I would agree, except I'm listening to really crap music right now. I know it's cheap, but I still can't stop listening to it. So I like it and hate it at the same time. How does that classify? Unless there's a "crappy but extremely satisfying to listen to" section... I think there should be.
7/11/2007 #6
Sakka-Fenikkusu
Ahhh, yes. Like that Dragostea Din Tei (Ma Ya Hi) song that's so popular.

XD I have it on my iPod.

Darn it all... to think I could've caught myself online at the same time as you and I can't stay... this stinks. Well, in two hours, I'll be done with my schoolwork and will promptly report back... but then, at your time zone, you'll probably be going to bed...

Check back as often as possible! ^_^

7/11/2007 #7
Burnt Bread
...I have five more minutes before the battery of my laptop carks it. So, probably not going to be on for long either. Study hard! No slacking off!
7/11/2007 #8
Will Sachiksy
I would agree, except I'm listening to really crap music right now. I know it's cheap, but I still can't stop listening to it. So I like it and hate it at the same time. How does that classify?

I know what you're talking about. Those cheaply-written, horrible songs that get stuck in your head and won't come out for days. I'd call that "Discount Earworm."

7/11/2007 #9
Sakka-Fenikkusu
Discount Earworm? I love it!
7/11/2007 #10
Will Sachiksy
I've also read that your taste in music can say something about your personality, i.e., classic rock fans are middle-of-the-road people, metal fans are aggressive and likely have anger issues, classical listeners are reflective and brainy... Obviously these personality-music matches are not end-all-be-all. I wonder, however, what kind of music would match timid people.
7/12/2007 #11
Sakka-Fenikkusu
I wonder, however, what kind of music would match timid people.

Hmmm. Methinks timid people like silence. :)

7/12/2007 #12
Burnt Bread
I think timid people like loud music in earphones. They also think about killing people constantly...
7/12/2007 #13
Moko Emaki
People who aren't timid listen to music that's very, very low. And play ping-pong.

Pong is more manly than ping-pong. You don't use the ball. Only the paddles.

7/17/2007 #14
Moko Emaki
metal fans are aggressive and likely have anger issues, classical listeners are reflective and brainy

That is a bit of a common stereotype. I've seen really nerdy kids listen to metal. And alternative. God do I hate alt rock. And for classical, you don't necesarily need to be smart to listen to operas, etc. If you're an average layman or something patience is the key. Then you can go drink yourself to sleep.

I wonder, however, what kind of music would match timid people.

Death metal that's been kicked all the way up on the volume tuning notch.

7/17/2007 #15
Will Sachiksy
That is a bit of a common stereotype.

I know. I said that these kinds of music /tend/ to attract these kinds of people. I mentioned the /typical/ personalities that listen to these kinds of music.

As I said:

Obviously these personality-music matches are not end-all-be-all.

-

I've seen really nerdy kids listen to metal.

Like me. Not that often, though.

And for classical, you don't necesarily need to be smart to listen to operas, etc. If you're an average layman or something patience is the key.

True. And also, out of all the people I know that make straight A's, only two are avid classical listeners.

7/17/2007 #16
Burnt Bread
No one listens to opera.
7/18/2007 #17
Will Sachiksy
No one listens to opera.

Because no one understands what they're saying. Really, with all the modern technology we have, do they really have to use those distorting voice-projection techniques anymore?

7/18/2007 #18
Moko Emaki
No, but my guess is that they want to remain original in some respects. Opera singers have to seriously blare out whatever they're singing. If you're in a closed room with someone singing like that, it's like hearing musical gunshots. And sometimes even louder.

Then a more common question in the public is more like, "who wants to care about Italian or much less Latin when you're French or American?"

Nah, that question's too smart.

"who cares about damn screamin' in funny languageses for four fuckin hours!?"

That's definitely socially correct. Has the American public become THIS stupid?

7/18/2007 . Edited 7/18/2007 #19
Sakka-Fenikkusu
No one listens to opera.

Why should they?

7/18/2007 #20
Moko Emaki
I didn't say they /should/...
7/18/2007 #21
Sakka-Fenikkusu
Of course you didn't. I was quoting Bread, anyway.
7/18/2007 #22
Burnt Bread
I think there's a difference between art for the good of humanity and art for art sake. Both serve some purpose. I mean, there's always going to be traditionalists who hang onto expressive forms that have lost their meaning to a contemporary audience in the hopes that one day their passion might be revived again. And who knows? 80's fashion keeps coming back *shudder*.

I always think of it like this: Years on when human kind have died out, aliens or our distant relatives of the future may stumble back on a marvelous civilization full of strange and wonderful things such as toilet seats and clothing. And every time I picture this in my mind, some nutty alien somewhat akin to a historian or an archaeologist will be an avid collector of opera related objects. The alien will construct machines to replay the wonderful magnetic tapes and shiny disks full off fascinating screeching and bellowing noises and be lost in this mysterious yet majestic quality of a strange, strange people.

But yeah. No one listens to opera. Not humans anyway.

7/19/2007 #23
Will Sachiksy
You have to admit, though, that a lot of opera music is very well musically composed. And iconic; think of how famous the "Bullfighter Theme" from Carmen and the "Ride of the Valkyries" from Wagner's Ring Cycle are. I just don't like the singing style.

I think there's a difference between art for the good of humanity and art for art sake. Both serve some purpose. I mean, there's always going to be traditionalists who hang onto expressive forms that have lost their meaning to a contemporary audience in the hopes that one day their passion might be revived again.

I'm okay with art for art's sake as long as the creators and "scene" are not being pretentious. If they genuinely enjoy that kind of stuff, let them have it. But I guarantee you won't find me admiring a picture that looks like a paint monster sneezed on it.

I always think of it like this: Years on when human kind have died out, aliens or our distant relatives of the future may stumble back on a marvelous civilization full of strange and wonderful things such as toilet seats and clothing. And every time I picture this in my mind, some nutty alien somewhat akin to a historian or an archaeologist will be an avid collector of opera related objects. The alien will construct machines to replay the wonderful magnetic tapes and shiny disks full off fascinating screeching and bellowing noises and be lost in this mysterious yet majestic quality of a strange, strange people.

That more makes me think of all the strange things aliens could study. If they truly are "alien," then their aesthetic and biological values would be different from ours.

For example: What if the aliens thought silverware was one of humanity's artform, and they classified different "art movements" for different utensils and things like that. Even better: what if the aliens thought silverware was some fossilized species. Like the knife evolving from the pie trovel or spoons being distant cousins of measuring cups.

7/19/2007 #24
Burnt Bread
But I guarantee you won't find me admiring a picture that looks like a paint monster sneezed on it.

I like those. They're fun to make. But ask me to fork out $XXXXX for that sort of painting? The answer is no.

Even better: what if the aliens thought silverware was some fossilized species. Like the knife evolving from the pie trovel or spoons being distant cousins of measuring cups.

Hehe, that could definitely be the case. And tissues were strange plants that cause lots of trouble so we either had to seal them in boxes, or glue them together with bodily fluids. And pollution was a creature from our myths and legends.

7/19/2007 #25
Sakka-Fenikkusu
And and and and they might think that lampshades are food!
7/21/2007 #26
Keba Si Rota
OK, since there's already a topic on music, I'll use this thread to brag. Yay!

A couple days ago, I got my 100th CD!!!!!! Go meeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!! And I ripped some of the tracks and now I have 398 songs on my computer and iPod!!!!!!!!

Now I'm gonna do a dance.

OK, did my dance. I feel gooood! Woo!

9/14/2007 #27
Will Sachiksy
I don't listen to much music, so I may not be a fair point of reference, but still: how do you have 100 CDs and nearly 400 songs? My head would explode from indecision if I had that much variety. Then again, I don't have an iPod or MP3 player, so I can only cycle through music as quickly as I can change CDs or open music files on my computer.

Of course, since you want to form a band, maybe all that variety is good for you. You get tons of influence and music education.

9/14/2007 #28
Keba Si Rota
I don't listen to much music, so I may not be a fair point of reference, but still: how do you have 100 CDs and nearly 400 songs? My head would explode from indecision if I had that much variety. Then again, I don't have an iPod or MP3 player, so I can only cycle through music as quickly as I can change CDs or open music files on my computer.

To me 100 CDs is an accomplishment, but my wish list is growing (which is strange because I don't listen to commercial radio anymore). Still it's nothing compared to some people I know. I have a friend who has about 150 CDs, my aunt's boyfriend has over 200, and my former art teacher has over 600.

Of course, since you want to form a band, maybe all that variety is good for you. You get tons of influence and music education.

Yes, having a lot of music really does help influence and inspire me. I'm not sure about music education, though.

9/14/2007 #29
Burnt Bread
That's crazy Keba! Normally, I dl from the internet and only if I like the album do I buy it. At most, I've bought maybe 30 cds in my lifetime. They're so darn expensive! I hope that if you ever reach the international charts (so your cd comes to australia), you'll make it cheap.

But about collecting cds, my uncle is a speaker nut and he has a room full of cds he uses to try out on his speakers. Really, a room full.

9/14/2007 #30
Page 1 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Sakka-Fenikkusu Moko Emaki
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member