Writing
Talk about fiction writing, storytelling, my stories, your stories, hisher stories, suggestions to me or others, techniques, tips and other things related here.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
PyroTech

Hey, I've not made a topic in a forum before, so I apologize if this is in the wrong section.

I've been a hobby writer for a few years now, but mainly I stick to the dark, bitter-sweet, romance stories.

Just recently, I ran across a bit of a problem, and was wondering if I could get a few thoughts from fellow writers.

How does one capture fear? I've tried before, so many different ways, and I can't quite feel like I'm conveying the emotion how I want it.

I want to capture a paralyzing fear that makes ones breath stop short, heart beat quick and mind play tricks. A fear that has the audience quaking in their metaphorical boots along with my characters. Unfortunately, its not just the thought that counts. My vocabulary, usually well enough for story writing, seems to have failed me on this front.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

-Pyro

8/13/2012 #1
Kaizen Kitty

If it's not too late -- I think it's the setup that matters. You should start off with building a solid connection between the reader and your characters, if the reader cares (a lot) about this character, anything you do to hurt said character will inspire fear in the reader.

Also,

Stories get the most scary when the reader gets the feeling: that could be me. When the "scary" thing is so strickingly realistic, that it could just as well happen in real life.

6/17/2013 #2
Forum Moderators: Das Blitzgott
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member