Boyfriend or Just friends?
You know the stories...it's the best friend who falls in love with the boy who's her friend, but how do you feel about that? And can guys and girls ever be just friends?
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Bobby McGee
The best-friends-get-together doesn't even happen in real life, just on Disney Channel. So what's the sense debating it? It's like the whole "pretty wallflower falls for hot popular jock thing." That has never happened in the history of time.

- Bobby

6/23/2007 . Edited 7/20/2007 #1
concerto49
Eh? Well if you ask me anything could happen in life. There's always hope. It's bad to disbelief. It's limiting yourself.
8/6/2007 #2
Lexina
I wish it did, just someone you click with or have done for ages, yet nothing happened and then wham..

but what if it ruined the whole friendship in the end?

9/9/2007 #3
Universal Completion
the whole best friend turn lovers does happen. a bunch of my friend who are in a relaionship right now, use to be best friends with their partner. some work, some didnt. i would never hock up with my best friend just because i rather us be friend foe a long time then to mess it up by getting together!
9/12/2007 #4
Universal Completion
the whole best friend turn lovers does happen. a bunch of my friend who are in a relaionship right now, use to be best friends with their partner. some work, some didnt. i would never hock up with my best friend just because i rather us be friend foe a long time then to mess it up by getting together!
9/12/2007 #5
Serom Kim
I agree with the person who created this thread, Bobby McGee, or whatever the pen name was. The whole best friend love story isn't as romantic in real life as people make it sound. Even if best friends get together, they're not going to be a couple forever, almost all high school relationships go down the toilet.

Guy friends or girl friends, you've known them since you were little, or for a while at least. One day, you're both in high school and you realize out of the blue, "I love him/her!" That's stupid. Stories on the romance section of this site have girls who think they're cynical and kick-butt, different and all that, but they're really shallow, falling for the guy they claim to hate just because they think he's handsome. If people in the real world were like that, then I would have given up on humanity. But who says that I haven't already?

Look, it's possible that best friends may decide to become a couple. But it's not always going to work, and even if it does there are going to be problems. All the stories on the romance section where best friends fall in love end when they first get together. You never know what happens next or if they remain perfect or if the friendship goes downhill.

1/13/2008 #6
Eliuma
Just depends up on the couple. Some people are meant to be from the beginning and some are just meant to be friends.
2/17/2008 #7
freakyAngel
Heh, pretty much agree to that statement. Though it'd be nice, once in a while, for something like that to happen. Who wouldn't like a nice happily-ever-after ending anyways? Plus, being best friends is always good for a precursor. You get to know the person real in-depth first, whether for 1 or 10 years, so you know this kind of relationship is at least pretty honest. I'd like that, I think.

As for the wallflower thing - well, aren't most flowers supposed to be pretty? Attracting the birds and bees and all :P But really, I don't even believe the stereotypical wallflower and jock status exists in real life. Have you ever seen some one who's the epitome of jock? Most of the time there's either no one who really fits the bill completely, or there's more than one. So how do you know which jock you're talking 'bout?

I think Disney's actually pretty fake. As in it's very fantasy-like, mostly, but it gives a person some hope that life can be that way. Or at least give them this fuzzy feeling for just that short period of time. ^^

-fA

3/10/2008 #8
Crayons.Melt.In.This.Heat
I actually KNOW a couple (who yes, are married), that were friends most of high school and then got together the middle of college.

It's rare, but it happens.

Besides, I LIKE happy endings. Whoever doesn't agree with me is just depressed or something.

3/18/2008 #9
Connie Lauret
I agree. My best friend fell in love with a guy friend of ours and they dated for about three months and that was about two years ago. Their still amazingly thinking about each other. though he'll never admit it. Its what made me believe that Love actually existed... Hmm. :)
3/26/2008 #10
Connie Lauret
I agree. My best friend fell in love with a guy friend of ours and they dated for about three months and that was about two years ago. Their still amazingly thinking about each other. though he'll never admit it. Its what made me believe that Love actually existed... Hmm. :)
3/26/2008 #11
Suena

Honestly and truly its a matter of opinion i mean a pretty wallflower COULD fall for the jock king if they both feel love for eachother and best friends could gfet together as well but love has to be in the realationship

4/25/2008 #12
Claudia Cobain

Of course it's possible. I had that situation, we were together rather long, but it's kind of the situation which screwed everything. I mean, it's possible and I know a few cases which are happy ever after. Same thing for the love at first sight.

5/20/2008 #13
CrystalFNfire

I disagree. Best friends CAN become good partners. After all, if they were already so compatible as friends, why not as lovers? I believe I'm a living example of this. My boyfriend and I were best friends for a long time before we got together. It was a little awkward at first, but we've been together for a year now.

6/19/2008 #14
Skye Hegyes

Friends, or best friends? In the case of best friends, I'd have to say I've seen it happen where the best friends fall in love (or at least think they do) and get together. In the friends genre, I have experience there that says it happens. The guy I am currently dating and I have been friends for almost two years and just got together in March and we're working out fine. Are we going to be together forever? No. We knew that going into the relationship. We're as different as we are similar. Our relationship works at the moment because we both had the same emotional and physical needs at the time we got together. Our long-term ideas for partners are too different for us to remain together long-term though. We both want different things in a partner and life itself.

So, the getting together works, but it doesn't always last. Every once in a while, they work out and the couple ends up getting married. A couple I know was together all throughout their high school career just got married at the beginning of July and are happy with their relationship.

But, seriously, wouldn't you have to be friends of some sort before you actually start falling in love with someone? Have something in common? You can date to realize what that is but in the end you and your partner will have to have some kind of friendship before you can call it love because with friendship comes trust and loyalty, and without those, love is a complete loss.

8/1/2008 #15
judy121

loooooooooooooooooooooooooool it depends on the people...but in general i do believe that best friends can become lovers and have thier happy endings.for example my cousin is married to her best friend of 18 years

8/5/2008 #16
bluehyppo51207

Well, not really..

I think that it's entirely possible, but I tend to drift on this topic. So here's what I think at the moment:

I think it's entirely POSSIBLE for two best friends to get together at one point in time and take the friendship further. After all, tehy already know each other well enough to acknowledge each other's flaws and good points...I wrote a story actually where two best friends realize that they're in love (but the ending's kinda sad actually so yeah)

Which brings me to my other side of the debate.

It's POSSIBLE for best friends to get together, but ultimately, whether they END UP togtehr for a happy ever after or whatever is based entirely on their choices and fate. After all, the downside to knowing each other so well is that the spice kinda fizzles out after a while. I mean, there's nothing new worth discovering anymore, and I feel that love is all about discovering new things that you've never known before.

My suggestion is that you do write a story about best friends falling in love, but you also put in a context that would apply to real life. After all, some of the comments here are right: there actually ARE people who end up together after having been best friends for who knows how many years. For me, I wrote about two best friends falling in lvoe but not ending up together. Because hey. IN real life, love isn't always that easy.

Did this help?

8/11/2008 #17
bluehyppo51207

Well, not really..

I think that it's entirely possible, but I tend to drift on this topic. So here's what I think at the moment:

I think it's entirely POSSIBLE for two best friends to get together at one point in time and take the friendship further. After all, tehy already know each other well enough to acknowledge each other's flaws and good points...I wrote a story actually where two best friends realize that they're in love (but the ending's kinda sad actually so yeah)

Which brings me to my other side of the debate.

It's POSSIBLE for best friends to get together, but ultimately, whether they END UP togtehr for a happy ever after or whatever is based entirely on their choices and fate. After all, the downside to knowing each other so well is that the spice kinda fizzles out after a while. I mean, there's nothing new worth discovering anymore, and I feel that love is all about discovering new things that you've never known before.

My suggestion is that you do write a story about best friends falling in love, but you also put in a context that would apply to real life. After all, some of the comments here are right: there actually ARE people who end up together after having been best friends for who knows how many years. For me, I wrote about two best friends falling in lvoe but not ending up together. Because hey. IN real life, love isn't always that easy.

Did this help?

8/11/2008 #18
Need 'n' Know

That's true. "There's always hope. It's bad to disbelieve. It's limiting yourself." (Yeah, I changed the middle part, lol.)

I mean, this world is HUGE. I bet there are still PLENTY of things we have yet to write about. Think of the possibilities. It's not like you've heard every story there is to tell.

8/16/2008 #19
chewyy the moofin

Dude,

Need 'n' Know,

you are flipping pancakes everywhere!

But that's okay. :)

To this topic? Well, I think that the things you mentioned, the "clichés" as most people call them (though that's awkward for me to say since I'm in French Immersion), are possible.

Maybe they don't live up to expectations all the time, but I would like to remind all of us that we are writing stories. Most of our stories end up being quite far from the truth and reality, but hey. That's the main thing that sets each author apart from the other. The way they tell the story, right?

It is possible though. I mean, personally, I've seen all of those clichés happen.

On the level of romanticness though, it depends on the people.

:)

8/26/2008 #20
The Crazy Freak

Bobby McGee, just because you've never seen two best friends get together in real life, it doesn't mean it never happens. In fact, there are plenty of people I know that have first been friends and then ended up together.

So I completely disagree with you.

One of the biggest proofs that this kind of relationship can also last (and not fall apart) are my parents. They've been friends since they were kids (they were almost neighbours, actually) and they got together when they were teenagers (my mom was 16) and they're still together.

And, like some have already said before, friends already know eachother, they can trust eachother, make eachother laugh, usually have similar interests, care for eachother and everything, so it makes a lot of sense that you develop feelings deeper than friendsip for your (best) friend.

12/18/2008 #21
Erinthemasterofaworldoffantasy

oh contrare Bobby. It has happened. I have a friend who has another group of friends where she used to live. In that group were a guy and girl who were very best friends. They fell in love and they're now engaged, going to be married in a few months and just had a baby like... yesterday. They're soul mates who were best friends. It does happen but only rarely of course.

2/17/2009 #22
Ashlee Pond

The best-friends-get-together thing does happen in real life.

My boyfriend and I were introduced through mutual friends, got closer, discovered that we had a hell of a lot in common and became best friends. We remained just friends for 9 months, and then one day decided to see how we'd go in a relationship.

We've been going out for over a year now, and are both incredibly happy.

I think that relationships are better that way - if you're friends with a person before you start dating, because then you truly know them and aren't just going out with a random who you think is hot.

3/2/2009 #23
Ashlee Pond

The best-friends-get-together thing does happen in real life.

My boyfriend and I were introduced through mutual friends, got closer, discovered that we had a hell of a lot in common and became best friends. We remained just friends for 9 months, and then one day decided to see how we'd go in a relationship.

We've been going out for over a year now, and are both incredibly happy.

I think that relationships are better that way - if you're friends with a person before you start dating, because then you truly know them and aren't just going out with a random who you think is hot.

3/2/2009 #24
Haeloed

When we write about romance, or read it for that matter, are we not trying to give ourselves hope? or that fuzzy feeling inside? if we didnt truly believe that these things COULD happen in real life then wouldn't we give up on love altogether? A relationship is not going to last if it is based on sexual attraction alone. yeah, you might have a great time for a while but eventually it will "fizzle" out and then where will you be? if you have things in common with your partner or at least respect the things they like, let them enjoy those things and dont try to change them because you dont like the way they are then you could have a great relationship.

I personally write and read romance because i love to hear about happy endings. a well written story draws me in and makes me get attached to the characters. when they eventually get together, fight and get over that, it makes me happy and that is what i look for in a story.

it may not really happen in real life but who's to say it cant? every rule has an exeption and it is the exeption to the rule that gives us hope.

3/14/2009 #25
Haeloed
When we write about romance, or read it for that matter, are we not trying to give ourselves hope? or that fuzzy feeling inside? if we didnt truly believe that these things COULD happen in real life then wouldn't we give up on love altogether? A relationship is not going to last if it is based on sexual attraction alone. yeah, you might have a great time for a while but eventually it will "fizzle" out and then where will you be? if you have things in common with your partner or at least respect the things they like, let them enjoy those things and dont try to change them because you dont like the way they are then you could have a great relationship. I personally write and read romance because i love to hear about happy endings. a well written story draws me in and makes me get attached to the characters. when they eventually get together, fight and get over that, it makes me happy and that is what i look for in a story. it may not really happen in real life but who's to say it cant? every rule has an exeption and it is the exeption to the rule that gives us hope.
3/14/2009 #26
Ellie.H

It's mainly fictional but it does happen. How would you know anyway? "In the history of time" lol exactly how old are you?

6/1/2009 #27
ali.in.wonderland

I beg to differ. I fell in love with my best friend. But, it does happen in fiction a lot.

2/5/2011 #28
IceKazuka13

It's happened, but it may not have happened to you or in front of you. Trust me, I've seen best friends get together and have gotten together with one of my own. It didn't work out for me, but I'm still close friends with the girl I've dated (in fact, with all the girls I've dated). It happens, but not as often as you'd think.

10/1/2012 #29
fantasybookworm2012
It happens or at least people fall for each other sometimes.
1/1/2013 #30
Forum Moderators: SirWade
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member