The Citadel
An open community where Fictionpress members can come for writing-related help and conversation with fellow writers.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Jealous Rage

Got any questions or any advice you'd like to share about the craft of writing? This is the thread to do it.

8/15/2011 #1
Jealous Rage

I'm working on a new story. I read Neil Gaiman's American Gods and was inspired. Not so much by the story itself, but by the idea of Gods, set in modern times. I used to really be into Greek and Roman mythology, but I've gotten away from it over the years. So this is my attempt to give it another go.

8/17/2011 #2
Nesasio

Sounds like fun. I always liked that aspect of American Gods and it certainly seems to be right up your alley. Will be interesting to see your take on it. Any gods in particular you want to use?

8/17/2011 #3
Jealous Rage

Not really. I was thinking I'd pick a dozen or so, ones who show up in more than one culture. Like there's always a God of war and a God/dess of love in every religion it seems. Basically, I want to swing it so that the Gods I choose to involve can be explained as having been all the Gods from every religion, throughout history. They change with the times, or something like that. I've got a whole plot worked up, now I've just got to flesh it out.

8/17/2011 #4
Nesasio

Don, I need ways to kill 7 people in a bar with a human-looking demon on a rampage.

Thoughts?

8/19/2011 #5
Jealous Rage

Well, heavy bottles to the skull usually work. They can crack skulls, and break necks, if they make contact in the right place. If there are any sharp objects hung on the walls (ie. a moose head with antlers, maybe hooks to hang shit), a person could be tossed backwards and impaled. People can be rammed into/through walls, which would probably kill them if they went in head-first. Drowning in toilets. Head used to smash toilets/urinals. Stabbed with pool cues. Hit with chairs and/or tables. And just good old-fashioned beaten to death. I used that one in my recent story.

8/19/2011 #6
Nesasio

Hmm, I think the whole beating to death thing and toilet deaths are a bit too time-consuming. People are gonna be fleeing and it's not like he's gonna lock down the building while he goes insane. Though that'd be amusing. The antler death is a nice touch, though. something to make the scene just a bit more interesting.

8/19/2011 #7
Jealous Rage

He could start in the bathroom. If you really wanted to include the toilets/urinals. If there was loud music, nobody in the bar itself would be able to hear, and even if they did, they'd probably just be "what the fucK?" haha.

8/19/2011 #8
Nesasio

Well, sure, but this is told from Anton's POV and when this all starts he's not in the bathrooms. So who's telling that bit?

8/19/2011 #9
Jealous Rage

He could hear it, and wonder what's going on. And then see the dead body/ies when the door opens. Or not haha.

8/19/2011 #10
Nesasio

*snort* Funny image.

But that begs the question that if he can hear it then why can't other people?

8/19/2011 #11
Nesasio

It's nifty having a little shield by my name. :D

Edit: Bahaha, I totally thought I posted this in the other place. XD

8/19/2011 . Edited 8/19/2011 #12
Jealous Rage

I think you could play it so that they do hear, they just don't know what they're hearing. They hear someone scream, but muffled, and then something smash. Maybe the door is jarred when they look, like something hit it hard from the other side. Nobody would know what was going on, until the door opened and some bloody dude walks out and attacks them.

Nice, Lyra haha.

8/19/2011 . Edited 8/19/2011 #13
Nesasio

Oh, that's possible. *ponders* I'd have to rewrite the lead-in to the whole demon insanity thing but that's doable.

And yes, my noobishness is epic.

8/19/2011 #14
Nesasio

Also, I was thinking of letting crazy demon dude escape the police, which might be an in for Kane. Anything you might need at the scene to give Kane something to follow?

8/19/2011 #15
Jealous Rage

Maybe have him bleed a little. Kane would be able to tell the kind of demon just from the general smell, but actual blood would enable him to track the exact demon down a little easier.

8/19/2011 #16
Nesasio

Alrighty, I can do that.

So would a human-looking demon in your world just be human on the outside but not really the same (kinda like Hailey only evil) or more like a glamour like in the DP? How does that work?

8/19/2011 #17
Jealous Rage

Yeah, they'd just look human, but would be stronger/faster/better senses. They'd probably have some type of distinguishing mark as well. Fangs, odd eyes, claws, weird hair. Something that marks them as different, even though they look mostly human. A combination of several is probably better, so they could pass for human, but it becomes more and more obvious they aren't the longer you're around them.

Actually, you know what you could do? The Drayad demons from chapter five of South of Heaven are pretty much human, except they breathe fire. So, that might be an option.

8/19/2011 . Edited 8/19/2011 #18
Tekla

Alrighty, I can do that.

so a psychic and a shapeshifter walk into a bar...

at what point are you stopping this? should kane do the next chapter if you're having them at the scene of the crime already? XD

8/19/2011 #19
Jealous Rage

No, it's better for you two to establish some kind of relationship first. And the scene wouldn't have to be too recent for Kane to use it. Smells and stains tend to linger, so he'd be able to track someone down quite a while after the original dust-up happened.

8/19/2011 #20
Tekla

okie dokie. good to know.

I can imagine the doorstep scene now.

"I had a great time tonight! well, aside from nearly getting mangled from a rampaging dude and getting drenched in somebody's beer, but meh! details..."

8/19/2011 #21
Jealous Rage

Indeed. Good times.

8/19/2011 #22
Nesasio

"I had a great time tonight! well, aside from nearly getting mangled from a rampaging dude and getting drenched in somebody's beer, but meh! details..."

*snort* No, they're not dating, as much as we discussed the amusing possibilities there.

Though it's a valid question. How much time is gonna pass before Kane shows up in town and meets them? 'Cause Anton and Hailey will obviously know each other but realistically it's not gonna be a close relationship. Just a 'hey, you're weird and I find that interesting, let's hang out sometime when I'm not in class and you're not at the morgue, lol!' kind of relationship. Maybe a one or two-meeting relationship...?

8/19/2011 #23
Jealous Rage

Yeah, I was thinking they met up a couple times. They both realize that the other isn't exactly normal, and birds of feather flock together, right? And then Kane shows up maybe two, three weeks after their first meeting.

8/19/2011 #24
Nesasio

Ah, so it's not a very fast-approaching apocalypse, is it? Hmm...

8/19/2011 #25
Jealous Rage

Nope, there'll be a lengthy build-up. Better to plan for a long one, and be able to end it on our terms, than back ourselves into a corner with one that's gonna be happening in two days.

8/19/2011 #26
Nesasio

I just got this image of Kane crashing at Anton's place and it amuses and disturbs me.

So...I dunno, the whole long-term-apocalypse build kind of confuses me. What sort of plan are you thinking for that? I'm kinda lost how it might work.

8/19/2011 #27
Jealous Rage

That will probably happen. He's really not too picky about where he sleeps haha.

What's confusing about it? It takes time for the bad guy to get what he needs. And the good guys don't know who the bad guy is, and what his end game is from the beginning. The point is them working together, battling whatever he sends at them, and trying to figure out what he's up to.

8/19/2011 #28
Nesasio

Well, sure, I get that. There end of the game makes sense to me, I just don't get the actual plan. I thought we were bringing some other-dimensional baddie in. Assuming they're all gathering in whatever town we decided this was in, shouldn't they pretty much have their shit together by now?

8/19/2011 #29
Jealous Rage

No, the main bad guy is somewhere else, waiting for his minions to bring him everything he needs for the rituals. This town isn't the only one where demons are going nuts and killing. This is just a smaller town, so it's more noticeable. What did we say? He needs souls or power something like that? So he has his minion all over the place, getting his shit, and he's hiding out. The ritual or whatever it is he needs to turn back time isn't simple, so it's going to take a while for him to get everything he needs.

8/19/2011 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Jealous Rage Nesasio
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member