The Citadel
An open community where Fictionpress members can come for writing-related help and conversation with fellow writers.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 .. Last Next »
Jealous Rage

Haha fancy. My french isn't so great anymore, I'm afraid. It was never great, actually. Used to be better though.

7/13/2012 . Edited 7/13/2012 #601
Vivace.Assai

Well I'm just fresh from completing 5 years of French so the language will probably be alien to me in four or five years...

7/13/2012 #602
Jealous Rage

Yeah. I live in a bilingual town, so we learn french all through elementary/secondary school. But I've been out for awhile now, and it's just gone haha. I can still sort of follow a french conversation, but it's not as easy as it used to be.

7/13/2012 #603
Vivace.Assai

It's an exercise to maintain bilingualism. I even have to put an effort to maintain my ancestry's native tongue.

7/13/2012 #604
Jealous Rage

For sure. I think I'll be sticking with english for the foreseeable future. I've always wanted to learn german eventually, but right now, I'm fine just speaking one language and fragments of another haha.

7/13/2012 #605
Vivace.Assai

Well, fragments of a language work. You can just slip it into your conversations (what you do know). It makes you seem very intelligent and posh. :)

7/13/2012 #606
Jealous Rage

Yeah haha. I'll give it a shot on here sometimes. I don't like to do it at home too much; people start thinking I actually know the whole language. Then I get a rapid-fire question or something and I just stand there, looking like an idiot. It's happened at work before haha.

7/13/2012 #607
Vivace.Assai

Yeah, you have to be careful or people expect too much. One time I used it while commenting on something online and then somebody asked me how to say "Buy a seal (as in the animal)." Guess which word I didn't know?

7/13/2012 #608
Jealous Rage

Haha nice. I've been pretty lucky so far. I haven't really said much in french, so I've never been asked to translate anything. I think most of the people I socialize with regularly are aware that I am at least a little familiar with the language, but I think there's only ever been one time where I've used it for an extended period. Somebody who also lives in a bilingual area of Canada stopped off in the forums and we started talking in french haha.

7/13/2012 #609
Vivace.Assai

Well that's pretty cool. It's always fun to begin a conversation in another language with somebody.

7/13/2012 #610
Jealous Rage

Yeah, it was cool. I think that was the last time I used french for more than a few words haha.

7/13/2012 #611
Vivace.Assai

Nice... Now being the poor conversationalist that I am, I don't quite know how to carry this conversation. Any ideas?

7/13/2012 #612
Jealous Rage

I'm not sure. I was hoping life in the forum would draw a couple more people in. It usually does in the other forums. Hopefully some more people jump in over the next few days and this place starts getting a bit more busy.

As for right now, how's the writing going? haha

7/13/2012 #613
Vivace.Assai

I'm trying to get a chapter for one of my stories finished to update sometime this weekend, but so far, I've been answering study guide questions about Heart of Darkness. And you?

7/13/2012 . Edited 7/13/2012 #614
Jealous Rage

There's a lot of things I want to work on, but none of it is coming together at the moment. I need to work on chapter 14 of South of Heaven, and chapter 2 of Vendetta. I was also thinking about a possible new story, but the words just won't come tonight. Think I might just watch a movie or something and try again tomorrow haha.

7/13/2012 #615
Vivace.Assai

Well that could work. I sometimes find it difficult to write well if I'm not in the mood; the words just aren't as natural. But then again, Nanowrimo is all about writing even when you don't feel like it.

7/13/2012 #616
Jealous Rage

Yeah, definitely. Outside of NaNo, I don't usually try and force myself to write too much. I know it'll come around eventually. And then I'll probably update four or five things in a two day span, and then nothing again for three months haha. Seems like that's always the way for me.

7/13/2012 #617
Vivace.Assai

Yeah, I get into those writing modes where I finish several chapters in a few weeks for one story... And then my mind just shuts off and I have to turn to another story. That's why I have to work on several stories at a single time.

7/13/2012 #618
Jealous Rage

Yeah, I'm the same. I always have a couple stories on the go. South of Heaven is the one I've put most work into, but I've got a few others on the go as well. And there are several that I had posted at one point that I've since removed. In between working on the longer stories, I crank out the odd short story when inspiration strikes. And I do the WCC from time to time, though that's a fairly new thing for me. And tumblr, of course haha. I've got a few things posted on there too. Everything's all over the place haha.

7/13/2012 #619
Vivace.Assai

Wow... That is a lot of stories. I tend to circulate FP with most of my published works (I update 2 at the same time) but then I also work on my next story in the series I'm doing (along with some poetry and stories but this is rare now). The only problem with having too many published works is regular updates become difficult.

7/13/2012 #620
Jealous Rage

Most of it is short stories, to be fair haha. But yeah, the updating can be a bitch when you've got a lot of open stories on the go. I think I've only got the three at the moment. I've been working on the next chapter for all three recently, on and off, so I do plan to update them soon. Usually, if I go too long without updating something, I'll just take it down until the inspiration comes back.

7/13/2012 #621
Vivace.Assai

The biggest problem with updates for me is not inspiration but usually time. Even without school in the summer, I find it difficult to maintain consistency. There's only 24 hours in a day and yet so much to do...

7/13/2012 #622
Jealous Rage

Yeah. I didn't start posting much on Fictionpress until after I was done school, so I was luckily able to avoid that for awhile. Now that I'm working, it's creeping in though haha.

For me, it's not really a lack of inspiration. I'm not sure what it is. Generally speaking, when I complete a chapter, I already know what I want to happen in the next one. For some reason, I can rarely translate that into a new chapter right away though. it seems to always take a few months, even though what I end up with is usually very close to what I wanted when I finished the previous chapter.

7/13/2012 #623
Vivace.Assai

Ah... I sometimes feel that way, too... Well, actually most of the time, since whenever I finish one chapter, I realize how to write the next one. The only problem is the desired words never come to me. But I kind of just march on with whatever my mind can muster, so chapters always end up being different than I expected. I don't know if that's good but I'm happy with my work all the same.

7/13/2012 #624
Jealous Rage

Yeah, that's what I end up doing. It's worked so far haha. No major complaints, anyways.

7/13/2012 #625
Vivace.Assai

Well, it's getting late for me so I'm going to turn in for the night. Later.

7/13/2012 #626
Jealous Rage

Night.

7/13/2012 #627
Silvia Hearten Calen

My sis and I want to go to the mall, but our brother's being lazy and won't take us. -_- (Well I still need to take a shower and get dressed anyway. :P) Hehe, I'm still gonna bug him.

7/23/2012 #628
Jealous Rage

I need to go to the mall soon. Need to pick up a few things.

7/23/2012 #629
Silvia Hearten Calen

Finally went to mall, got some candles for my aunt's b-day. Spent eleven bucks for chicken wings for my sis and me which she barely ate. -_- Didn't see anything I really wanted. Shame.

7/23/2012 #630
« Prev Page 1 .. 11 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 31 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: Jealous Rage Nesasio
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member