Cafe Fictionpress
The free for all society of Fictionpress writers, readers and lurkers. Come here if you want to chat, rant, or be lazy.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
dbz 77
I notice that I get more hits for fanfiction versus original fiction. Why is that?

Michael

12/20/2007 #1
Julian Laverne
I find it that readers are more prone to read something that they are familiar with than to read an original fiction altogether. With fanficion, the idea is already there. The characters, the world, the setting and finally, the overview of a basic plot. All an author does really, is distort that world a bit, but never really walks too far away that it becomes something unrecognizable. Some readers like that (and love seeing their favorite characters in different settings/situations) and would rather read a fanfiction.

I don't mean to offend anybody, but I have never really been fond of fanfiction. I know writing it could get me way more attention than what my lack-luster originals are getting, but I like to stand true to my ideals and that would be just to showcase creativity that was completely and solely done by myself.

12/26/2007 #2
KnittingKneedle
I think fanfiction is easier to write and read...but without original fiction there would be no fanfiction! In a way I think original fiction separates the men from the boys...a person could grasp someone else's characters and world brilliantly but just fall flat.

I started off in fanfiction; Doctor Who and Torchwood being my fandoms of choice but in my last Torchwood fic I created a few original characters who just wouldn't leave me alone! Through that I re-discovered how much I enjoy creating original characters in original plots.

Whether or not people like it is neither here nor there...I'm like Frankenstein in my obsessive drive to create!

1/6/2008 #3
Christy Leigh Stewart
Fanfiction is more fun to read because where as original fiction is boring when done badly, fanfiction is WONDERFUL when it is done badly. Nothing is more entertaining than a terrible fanfic.

I used to not be into fanfiction, but I got myself into it lately because my site opened a fanfic forum for a specific band once the original forum died. Since then, I've made a point to have something to post each week in order to keep the forum alive (also, I like kicking the last owner's arse). So, because of that, I've found myself becoming a connoisseur of fanfic.

2/12/2008 #4
Kaida Shade
Fanfics can be a good way to develop your writing skills- heck the first story i ever actually completed was a Green Day fanfic. And it can be pretty fun to read if it's well written. Generally I prefer the stories with a more original twist and I will say i HATE the generic High School AU stories.

I tend to write fanfiction as a way to blow of steam, hence the amount of crack on my fanfiction.net account.

3/7/2008 #5
dbz 77
Fanfics can be a good way to develop your writing skills- heck the first story i ever actually completed was a Green Day fanfic. And it can be pretty fun to read if it's well written. Generally I prefer the stories with a more original twist and I will say i HATE the generic High School AU stories.

What is Green Day?

I have only heard of the band.

Michael

3/7/2008 #6
Kaida Shade
Yeah, it was a fic about the band.
3/7/2008 #7
dbz 77
Yeah, it was a fic about the band.

Was it a parody?

Michael

3/8/2008 #8
Kaida Shade
Pretty angsty actually XD Nah, at that point i was into bandfics on another site. There was some good stuff there actually
3/8/2008 #9
dbz 77
Pretty angsty actually XD Nah, at that point i was into bandfics on another site. There was some good stuff there actually

What sites have bandfics?

Michael

3/9/2008 #10
Kaida Shade
www.mibba.com is pretty good for bandfics as far as I remember but i havent been on there for ages. I think there's a few AFI ones on Fanfiction.net as well but you have to search for them.
3/9/2008 #11
MoistenedBint
Speaking as a fanfiction writer, I have to second the previous post that said it's because people are more familiar with it.

I think it's because there are set laws for that fandom, laws that the readers are familiar with. We already know (most of) the characters, so there's less trying to figure them out.

Basically just laziness ;)

3/10/2008 #12
AngeloftheOdd
I find the opposite to be true. Maybe it's because my favourite fandoms are slightly less popular than some others or because the characters I sometimes choose to write about are not fandome favourites themselves. Or because I write poetry as opposed to fics. I just posted my original poetry here and got 2 reviews in less than 5 minutes! I've had my fan poetry up for a month and I've gotten 1 review apeice for 3 out of the 7 I have. *shrugs*
3/18/2008 #13
Oracle of Destiny
Hmm, I write both fanfiction and original fiction and to be honest I like them both really. Fanfiction is more or less easy to write as you must know about the subject (video game, TV show, etc...) and all you do is put them in a situation and people are interested to see how they react. Original fiction is more creative in a way as you have to plot the story, make the characters (and describe thier background story) and try and develop some ideas along the way. But in all fairness I rather prefer original fiction as I have been writing that much longer that fanfiction and for me it's like a challenge - starting something new and coming up with some interesting characters and other things as such. Fanfiction is more or less easy as there is already a plot and you know the characters very well. I've got more stories on here than I have on my account over on fanfiction so that must say a lot really!

But I have noticed that most people get more reviews over on fanfiction than on here, which is a shame and I find that somewhat frustrating in a way. Does anyone agree with me on this?

The other thing I have noticed is that many people put their OC (own/original characters) in fanfiction and sometimes it works well. Other times it is a complete failure as one of the reasons is that you don't feel this connection to the character(s). At the end of the day, what gets published in the world and made into a proper book is original fiction instead of fanfiction.

3/28/2008 #14
Voxvocem

I don't like fanfiction at all. I was never interested in reading it and I think some of it is downright insulting to the original creators. I could never write it even if I tried; I'm too obsessed with keeping a plot and character canon...I'd always feel like I was twisting them in some way that they weren't meant to be.

But I can see why it exists. As has been said, it's much easier to write and read a story where all the characters and the main plot are already known.

I appreciate the original stuff far more, though...because it obviously takes a lot more to do (well, the good original stuff). I'm a huge original character/story fanatic, it's almost all I do XD;

4/10/2008 #15
William H. Chang

I also have to agree with one of the previous posts regarding people being more familiar with the characters and settings when it comes to fan fiction. I also agree with the fact that yes, it is easier to write. Hell, I technically started "writing" fan fiction in elementary school when my teachers would have us narrate stories to publish at the end of the semester for the parents. They can be fun to write because you can tell lots of stories that just aren't told in the actual series; before I started working solely with original fiction I'd do continuations of game series I liked, like Star Ocean.

Still, with original fiction you're on your own, and it really does require a little more skill to pull off something original. Half the time I still feel like a ton of stuff on FP is just recycled from other stories, other series, etc. Hell, I'm still a little frazzled as to why there's a "manga" section - it just begs for recycled content.

4/10/2008 #16
dbz 77

I also have to agree with one of the previous posts regarding people being more familiar with the characters and settings when it comes to fan fiction. I also agree with the fact that yes, it is easier to write. Hell, I technically started "writing" fan fiction in elementary school when my teachers would have us narrate stories to publish at the end of the semester for the parents. They can be fun to write because you can tell lots of stories that just aren't told in the actual series; before I started working solely with original fiction I'd do continuations of game series I liked, like Star Ocean.

I started publishing on Fanfiction.Net before publishing here on FictionPress.Com; I had a lot more fanfiction ideas.

Michael

4/10/2008 #17
Artficial Smile

Well, like someone said, people are probably more comfoatable. (I know I didn't spell that right..) That's why I don't have a lot of favorites on fictionpress. Besides a lot of people like doing things their way sometimes, so fanfiction is their way to go..

5/9/2012 #18
Corinna Tate

I write both fanfiction, and original stories. I get about twice the traffic on my fanfiction stuff. I think part of the reason for that, is this site, vs its sister site. For six months it was buggier than an Indiana Jones movie here. It was hard to update unless you knew html.

I've also noticed that stories that were written a few years ago have a LOT of reviews, and those newer works have much less traffic. It makes me wonder what was happening at this site back then, and did something happen to scare off all the readers?

5/26/2012 #19
Kay Iscah

Most stories gain reviews over time and many people are looking for "complete" works, which may be part of the reason old stuff has more reviews than new. Also fanfic tends to ebb and flow with the popularity of the fandom. People often read fanfic to fill in the gap between waiting for profiction in a beloved series, as with Harry Potter, you can have a gap of years between books.

I don't think good fanfiction is any easier to write than original fiction, but it has different challenges. With original fiction, you have more freedom to shape a character and create a world. With fanfic if you ignore the established details of a character or established rules of the world, it reads as poor craftmanship. If you churn out a story exactly like those already established in the profic, it reads as bland. Fanfiction is more like franchise fiction, which is where many a pro-author earns their daily bread. You have more set up for you, but you also have far more rules to follow or the story doesn't ring true, and it's a challenge to keep things fresh but consistent. (Granted there's always AU, but good AU means more elements to juggle, since your both reflecting and reshaping a world.)

Readers are a bit more forgiving with fanfic I think, sometimes willing to read a story that features a certain character, regardless of story quality.

Then again, I've never had much trouble with character creation or world building. Those things pop into my head faster than I can write them down. So if you struggle with those elements, then yes, I could see how fanfic would be easier. But I still think doing it well is a challenge, because you need a good understanding of an existing world to write it well.

As for traffic, assuming quality level is the same, I think much of this has to do with advertising. In fanfic, you can sort of piggyback off the advertising done by the established profic or franchise. With original fiction, it's all up to you. The upside is since it's original and you own it, you don't have the same restrictions on marketing. So assuming you're ready for the scrutiny, you can approach book blogs and writing groups elsewhere on the net and point them in direction of your fictionpress stories.

I do moderate advertising for mine, announcing chapter updates on Facebook and Twitter and dropping the link on Linked In groups when relevant. For both fanfiction and fictionpress I've found it very helpful to submit my stories to relevant communities. I'm planning to revise my website to focus more on my fiction writing.

2/23/2013 #20
Corinna Tate

@ Kay:

You're absolutely right about the different challenges of fan fiction versus original. I write both, and I'm really beginning to prefer writing my own original work. I too have no problem with world building and character creation.

I do think there are some differences between the two sites, fictionpress and fanfiction. They both work the same way but they seem to have very different readers and attitudes. This one seems to attract readers who are a bit older than the average fan girl. I see mostly twenty to thirty year-old readers here, while on fan fiction I can see readers as young as twelve poking around. The feedback is different as well. Here I'm more likely to get real critique or silence, whereas on fan fiction there's a tendency to hear "nice chapter, update soon!" There seems to be an unwritten rule that you must encourage a writer, so they will feel compelled to finish their story. On here, there's more a 'sink or swim' attitude. Fan fiction also seems to encourage cliques within fandoms. Those cliques can be based on pairings or similar views on the canon work. They try to drive out anyone who doesn't write to their way of thinking, or they promote the stories that do it their way. It's a very high school mentality that I try to avoid.

As far as advertising, again you're right. I've never advertised my stories beyond my profile page. Up til recently I've not written anything I'd want people who know me to read. I've had a lot of learning and growing to do as a writer, and advertising a less than amazing story didn't seem to be a good idea. Now I'm writing two that I hope to e-publish once they're finished and edited. I post them here, thinking that it's a preview for both me and my readers. But I still don't feel comfortable advertising.

2/23/2013 . Edited 2/23/2013 #21
Kay Iscah

That's understandable. I've noticed a lot of people use this site for rough drafts or works in progress rather than works they consider finished. I'm trying to use it as sort of a sampling to direct people to stories/art/designs I'm planning to sell (though I'm happy to make full use of betas and typo spotters, love the feedback features).

I glanced at your old stories vs. new, and think maybe the number of chapters has something to do with the difference in your review numbers. Your older works have more chapters, thus more promptings to review. One of the trends I noticed in fanfic was the authors with the biggest followings tend to post semi-regularly over a long period of time, so there's a serial aspect to their work.

I had a habit of writing entire novels (on fanfiction) or nearly complete novels with very long chapters, and posting them in one big dump....which suited my impatience/perfectionism but wasn't very good audience building. I've taken a weekly posting approach since I started doing a multi-chapter here, and that seems to help...though this weekend is kind of a dud...but that could be because I've been far less active on review exchanges.

2/23/2013 . Edited 2/23/2013 #22
Corinna Tate

Yeah, what I have of my two new ones is work in progress. I try not to post things totally rough, but there's always a lot of improvement that can be done once they're finished. My first fan fiction was almost finished when I started posting, and I posted a huge chapter every day or so. Big mistake. Weekly updates really are the best, and it's what I would be shooting for if I hadn't suffered a lapse of good judgment and started posting four stories simultaneously. Now I'm lucky to get an update for each story every month. Fortunately I'm past the starvation for reviews, and I can be more relaxed about the lack of feedback. My old stories are completed, which might tell readers that I'm less likely to abandon a story in the middle. But they're also quite different from what I'm writing now. I've been fighting to get the smut out of my writing, and I think these two will do that. But that means my audience will likely be different.

One of the things I've enjoyed about these two sites, is the ability to hear from readers. I've learned to trust my own instinct as a writer, because of those precious reviews that let me know they got what I was trying to say. Knowing I can bridge the gap between my writing and the reader is a priceless gift. I don't have to beg for reviews, now that I have confidence to know I can do the job.

I updated on Thursday, and wondered why no one reviewed. I'm not worried, but it seems a bit odd. It's hard to understand what's going on with the sites and readers, so I just shrug it off and keep writing. It used to be that I'd worry that there was something wrong with the chapter, but not anymore. It could be anything from the weather to the site not sending alerts. Some things just aren't in my control, and it's taken me years to realize that.

2/23/2013 #23
Forum Moderators: aka Providence
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member