Cafe Fictionpress
The free for all society of Fictionpress writers, readers and lurkers. Come here if you want to chat, rant, or be lazy.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Tora-2011

Hello,

I'd need to do some research on the late Victorian era (1890ies). I know some great sites for general research, but I have got a very specific question that needs answering. Maybe there is someone out there who knows a good forum, newsgroup, whatever. You know, to post my question and hope someone will know about it.

The thing I need to know about is Victorian school & uni holidays (when they were & how long they lasted). I have tried to google it many times now and have never found anything. So, yep. If anyone knows where to research... or if anyone even knows anything about this sort of stuff... feel free to let me know =) Thanks a lot Tora

9/4/2012 #1
Kay Iscah

I couldn't find anything specific but got the impression that it varies by school.

http://www.victorianweb.org/authors/mb/school.html

http://www.victorianweb.org/places/yorksdales/3.html

http://www.victorianweb.org/history/education/eton/reform.html

Christmas seems a common time for holidays. Easter may likely be too, as that's considered the other major Christian holiday. This may be one of those questions where you'll have better luck in the library than on the internet.

You may trying looking for an active Sherlock Holmes forum that focuses on Doyle's books. Apparently there are some active historical nitpickers/experts in that fandom.

1/28/2013 #2
Tora-2011

Thanks a lot for your reply. This seems helpful =) Unfortunately I do not live in an English-speaking country. This means libraries won't be much help, I guess. Anyway... Thank you.

2/9/2013 #3
Kay Iscah

Glad I could help. Sorry I couldn't be more specific

2/9/2013 #4
Roka Polaris

There is a book called "What Jane Austen ate and Charles Dickens knew; From Fox hunting to Whist - the Facts of Daily Life in 19th century Engliand" by Daniel Pool. I find it a good resource in finding details on what people were doing in that era, and things you normally don't find in history-books. (And it can be ordered from German online-bookstores, I have done that too ;-)]

And then there is also the more time-consuming (yet enjoyable way) of trying to find out whether there is a piece of fiction witten in your time period that deals with the setting you are working on, for example a school (which I imangine there are lots of those), read it and try to extract every information you could find useful. Maybe not so much the facts too, but also the atmosphere of such a place, so you can imagine yourself being there and add little details as you write to make it seem more lively and natural.

2/21/2013 #5
Roka Polaris

There is a book called "What Jane Austen ate and Charles Dickens knew; From Fox hunting to Whist - the Facts of Daily Life in 19th century Engliand" by Daniel Pool. I find it a good resource in finding details on what people were doing in that era, and things you normally don't find in history-books. (And it can be ordered from German online-bookstores, I have done that too ;-)]

And then there is also the more time-consuming (yet enjoyable way) of trying to find out whether there is a piece of fiction witten in your time period that deals with the setting you are working on, for example a school (which I imangine there are lots of those), read it and try to extract every information you could find useful. Maybe not so much the facts too, but also the atmosphere of such a place, so you can imagine yourself being there and add little details as you write to make it seem more lively and natural.

2/21/2013 #6
Roka Polaris

2/21/2013 #7
Tora-2011

@ Roka Polaris: Thanks a lot. That books sounds great =)

3/2/2013 #8
Forum Moderators: aka Providence
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member