Cafe Fictionpress
The free for all society of Fictionpress writers, readers and lurkers. Come here if you want to chat, rant, or be lazy.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »
MySunshine

i'm always listening to music ^^ (even while studying for exams -.-). it kind of helps me concentrate. i get hyper if it's too quiet o.0

i'm a fan of korean music and ballads, so i mostly listen to that. sometimes also r'n'b.

4/21/2008 #61
showcreator

Not only do I listen to it, I sometimes incorporate it into a story. It can be a real mood setter.

5/8/2008 #62
xLinkinPark94x

Yeah, I always listen to music while I write. Well, not always but a lot of the time. I mostly listen to Linkin Park, Breaking Benjamin, Three Days Grace, Seether, 30 Seconds to Mars, Avril Lavigne (old look, not new look), Paramore, Flyleaf, My Chemical Romance, Fall Out Boy, Lifehouse, AFI, All American Rejects, Papa Roach, KoRn, I could go on forever most likely if you kept me going so I'm going to shut up now.

If I don't listen to music while I'm working I get really jittery and hyper. I need to move. I can't while I write otherwise I'll usually lose the idea. Well, for like a chapter or a stand-alone. Not a whole story lol. Can you imagine that? Sheesh, I'd be on the computer for MONTHS! Haha, I don't think my dad would like that. He doesn't like it when I go on for an hour. =P So yeah, I listen to music when I write. Not reading though. If I listen to music while I read, I pay attention to the music, not the words...all right SOMETIMES while I read.

-Kelli

5/10/2008 #63
Absolut Hooliganism

I spend maybe too much time listening to music. Recently, I've been rocking the new Roots album. But right now, I am listening to Sonic Youth. I listen to a lot of music, to the point where one could pigeonhole me as hipster, dork or snob. More often than not, though, I'll be listening to Isaac Hayes, Funkadelic or something completely ludicrous like Fantomas. I don't however, see what the big deal is about The Arcade Fire.

5/21/2008 #64
I see London I see Sam's Town

Well, I draw all (or most, anyway) of my inspiration from music (and movies, occasionally). For the most part, I enjoy slow paced songs with a twinge of sadness/tragedy to it... songs that are a bit emotional and ethereal feeling. Adding on, I also get ideas when I listen to electronica, techno, etc.

However, I find that I can’t delve into English lyrics, so most of my music is in Japanese… I love getting lost in translation, and besides, it helps my mind wonder and allows my ideas to grow.

I can’t give specific songs at the moment, but artists that I turn to for inspiration are Utada Hikaru (especially from her First Love and Ultra Blue era), Luna Sea, Ayumi Hamasaki, and The Brilliant Green. I said that I don’t find inspiration from music in English; however, Dido hasn’t failed me yet, along with Matchbox 20, The Killers, The Cure, and Siouxie and the Banshees. Of course, I have a bunch of miscellaneous music, as well—I find LOTS of inspiration from anything that has a violin(s) and/or a piano. C:

6/20/2008 #65
RoseInk

When I write I need music that is very deep and "wordy". U2 usually works for this. Unfortunately I really am not a fan of their music, does that make any sense? It puts me in a creative mood, though. So does counting crows. Hard rock just doesn't do it for me, too overstimulating. I'm surprised so many of you all get inspiration that way.

ps. Have any of you heard of this style of music that matches the beats to your own brainwaves? My english teacher used to play it during tests, I forget the name, but I guess that kind would help too wouldn't it?

7/10/2008 #66
herunusualmind

Bon Jovi

Metallica

Les Cowboy Fringants

Danu

Baltimore Consort

Dropkick Murphys

Flogging Molly

David Bowie

Elton John

Queen

30 seconds from mars

Meatloaf

The Beatles

The Who

Jefferson Airplane

Jimi Hendrix

Supertramp

Chris De Burgh

Huey Lewis & The News

Billy Talent

aaaand

lots more xD

mostly 70s 80s irish and local

7/16/2008 #67
herunusualmind

I get inspired alot from the Full Metal Alchemist soundtracks as well :o !

7/16/2008 #68
RoseInk

I love Meatloaf, and I'm not afraid to say it. He is definitely a "guilty pleasure" kind of singer, because the lyrics and mood are so dramatic and over-the-top, but for writers I suppose it's just more inspiration.

7/19/2008 #69
heart shaped box x3

Whenever I need inspiration for my writing classic rock, and grunge seem to do the trick. And as much as I love punk, somehow it distracts me.

Bands I listen to when writing.

-Led Zeppelin

-Guns N Roses

-Green Day {Don't knock it 'till you've tried it}

-Nirvana

-Metallica

-Billy Joel

-30 seconds to mars

-The Doors

-The Beatles

-Slayer {Depending on what I am writing}

-Stevie Ray Vaughn

-Lynard Skynard

7/20/2008 #70
Siriano

I'm listening to Apologize by One Republic for Eraser Rain along wih Keep Me Up All Night by Glitterati

7/26/2008 #71
This is not a name

I pretty much always listen to music when I write and read. Usually anything by the Clash or related to the Clash. Like other bands containing members of the Clash. i.e., Big Audio Dynamite, Carbon Silicon, Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros, Havana 3am, and The Good, the Bad, and the Queen.

Other than that, BUDDY HOLLY (who has nothing to do with Weezer), the Adverts, the Ramones, the Toasters, Dion and the Belmonts, France Gall, and the Everly Brothers.

8/5/2008 #72
This is not a name

And Billy Idol, I can't forget him, and Generation X.

8/5/2008 #73
heart shaped box x3

I love the Ramones and the Clash but somehow, they always distract me whenever I sit down to write.

8/5/2008 #74
rassoodock

-neutral milk hotel

-pixies

-pavement

-built to spill

-the apples in stereo

-of montreal

-mclusky

-animal collective

-andrew brid

-...and you will know us by the trail of dead

-xiu xiu

-belle and sebastian

-sonic youth

-black flag

-cap'n jazz

-texas is the reason

-my bloody valentine

-mogwai

-god is an astronaut

-do make say think

-modest mouse

-lcd soundsystem

-jeff buckley

-iron and wine

-isis

-kyuss

-crass

-cream

-boris

-radiohead

-the fall

-elliott smith

-dinosaur jr

-dead kennedys

-CAKE

-butthole surfers

-nick drake

-muse

-cat power

-imogen heap

-red sparowes

-six organs of admittance

-bright eyes

-bob dylan

-beck

-beatles

-arcade fire

i master in music snobbetry. heh.

8/7/2008 #75
YK Author

I don't like to listen to music when I write. I become so focused on the music that I have difficulty thinking about whatever I'm writing. Also, I find it difficult to find music thata matches what I'm writing.

There are exceptions, of course. Sometimes a single song will inspire me, but even then I'll stop the song and just write. Otherwise I pay too much attention to the song and don't write at all.

8/18/2008 #76
Kino Lala

I usually listen to the following:

-The Ten Tenors-Now We Are Free

-Lisa Gerrard

-Era

-Hymn to the Sea (from "Titanic" soundtrack)

8/28/2008 #77
I am Jam

I'll just listen to what I do normally.

Bruce Springsteen

The Clash

The Who

The Wailers

Steel Pulse

Public Enemy

De La Soul

Bob Dylan

Or The Beatles

11/28/2008 #78
fatbird33

i always listen to hans zimmer.

11/29/2008 #79
Z451

Several various tracks are on my writing soundtrack,

Animal I Have Becom-Three Days Grace

B*** Away-Breaking Benjamin

Elevation-U2

End is the Beginning,Beginning is the End-Smashing Pumpkins

Hold me, Thrill me, Kiss me, Kill me-U2

Kiss From a Rose-Seal

Midlife Crisis-Faith No More

These are a few rest are on my computer and Mp3 player.

1/2/2009 #80
Abbigail Cross

ROCK, ROCK, ROCK!!

Uh.. anything from Secondhand Serenade's A Twist in my Story.

Nickelback.

Katy Perry.

We the Kings

Anything by Alxz Johnson (Instant Star's Jude Harrison.)

TAYLOR SWIFT*

ALL AMERICAN REJECTS*

The Spill Canvas

Three Days Grace

Aqualung

Avenged Sevenfold

Avril Lavigne

Big and Rich.

BREAKING BENJAMIM**

FALL OUT BOY*

DRAGONFORCE*

DEATH CAB FOR CUTIE*

PARAMORE**

EVANESCENCE*

and alot more.

* TOTAL FAVE

** ULTIMATE TOP FAVE!!!!

1/23/2009 #81
Fractured Illusion

DoRe - Voice

Good for calmer moods.

Hans Zimmer and Lisa Gerrard - Now We are Free

Very sad. Very inspirational. Very epic. All in all: awesome.

(yeah I don't usually do upbeat stories)

1/24/2009 #82
FerretsRevolution

^^I love listening to those artists too. Depending on my mood, I listen to almost anything except for country (The only time I would subject myself to that type of inhumane torture is if I'm on my death bed with a deadly illness and the only cure is horrible country music. Never gonna happen.)...that and folk (I won't even go there...).

1/28/2009 #83
Captain Cakewalk

I like cutesy techno-ish songs - they always put me in a good mood. Pendulum is fun, too.

1/31/2009 #84
3xZ

I have a bunch of cool songs on my page. You can go check them out. Miss Papaya's "Bumblebee" is the ultimate cutesy techno-ish song!

2/4/2009 #85
Guardian Soul

I can't read or write without music. When I'm reading anything can be playing. So long as there's background noise I'm content. For writing I prefer songs that go along with the stories and poems that I write, so I can kind of use the songs to fuel my muse if I start to run out of steam. My personal favorite bands are...

-H.I.M

-The Rasmus

-Poets of the Fall

-Apocalyptica

-Taking Back Sunday

-Envy on the Coast

-Lacuna Coil

-Celtic Woman

-Alesana

-Avenged Sevenfold

-Seether

-Alice Nine

-Malice Mizer

-Gackt

...There are probably loads more but I think we'd be here all day.

2/21/2009 . Edited 2/21/2009 #86
iEuphemia

I tend to listen to music that matches the mood I'm trying to get accross in my writing.

Though, recently, the music has been a distraction for me. So, I mostly write in complete silence now.

3/11/2009 #87
The Infamous Black Valkyrie

I tend to listen to music that matches the mood I'm trying to get accross in my writing.

Yeah, I'm the same way. If it's an angry scene, or a fight scene, I'll put on either "Hybrid Theory" or "Meteora" by Linkin Park. If it's an epic scene, very suspenseful, I'll put on the soundtrack to The Incredibles. (Yes, I'm being serious. Listen to it, you'll understand.) If it's a (gasp!) romantic scene, which fortunately doesn't occur often in my stories... I'll put on whatever sounds right.

3/11/2009 . Edited 3/11/2009 #88
iEuphemia

Good choice, good choice. I'm fan of Linkin Park myself. x3

3/11/2009 #89
The Infamous Black Valkyrie

Linkin Park's my favorite band, and if I have an excuse to listen to their albums, 2 in one day, I'm taking it. XD

3/12/2009 #90
« Prev Page 1 .. 2 3 4 Next »
Forum Moderators: aka Providence
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member