Cafe Fictionpress
The free for all society of Fictionpress writers, readers and lurkers. Come here if you want to chat, rant, or be lazy.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Maberke
I haven't been on fictionpress in a long while, but I wanted to finally post a story. The thing is it has a few lines of song lyrics in it, and I checked the story guidelines but they're pretty vague. What does "not in the public domain" cover, exactly?
2/22/2007 #1
Keba Si Rota
I think it covers songs that other people wrote (like musicians and stuff). You probably can't use lyrics that you didn't write, yourself. I hope this helps. Good luck with your story.
2/22/2007 #2
Maberke
Yes, it does. I'll just have to delete a few lines at the end and everything will be be fine. Thank you!
2/23/2007 #3
Will Sachiksy
Actually, you can use songs that are not/no longer copywritten. Check the copyrights of the songs you want to use. Most folk songs don't have copyrights (although "Happy Birthday to You" does. Not kidding).
2/23/2007 #4
Maberke
Woah, really? Wild. I don't think Tanita Tikaram counts there, though, plus I've already uploaded the story minus the lyrics. But hey, this means I can use The Yellow Rose of Texas and Streets of Lardeo in one of my works-in-progress. Thanks!
2/24/2007 #5
Will Sachiksy
Again, check to make sure they aren't copywritten. Like I said, "Happy Birthday To You" is still copywritten, so you never know.
2/24/2007 #6
Maberke
I'll be sure. I suppose that eliminates Streets of Laredo from the list (I believe Johnny Cash did a version of that, though I don't like the lyric version he used).
2/24/2007 #7
Forum Moderators: aka Providence
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member