anorexiabulimia
you write about eating disorders?this is for you, so you can relate and ask questions to other authors who may know just a bit more about it than you
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
hiddenuntilicanfigureouthowtod
so far do you know the difference between eds (eating disorders)

what are all the types of eds

can you relate to any subjects of eds(not just anorexic people, this envolves those who just think they are fat)

why do you choose to write about eds?

12/12/2006 #1
OutSide Insight
I haven't posted a story on here yet but I'm writing one about someone who's struggling with an ED. I've been studying EDs since I was twelve becaue a friend of mine was struggling with it. I then decided that I wanted to counsel eating disorders. I've been researching on my own for years (I'm still a kid in school so its an independent study) and if you want to know the truth read "The Secret Language of Eating Disorders" by Peggy Claude-Pierre. She has the most accurate take on it out of all the psychology websites I've been on. Her book is amazing. I think its so good because it's written by a mother who wanted to help her children and when maternal instincts kick in mom's can do almost anything.

http://www.peggyclaudepierre.com/intro.html

12/13/2006 #2
thisaccountisforfun
Please do read my story, Life in the fat lane.

i have a friend who's half-anorexic and I can kinda relate to it. The story I wrote is somewhat related to that.

I think anorexics are foolish people who have a major identity crisis. Overall, they're ruining the lives(:

12/16/2006 #3
yeah well i guess i see what your saying

but ruining their lifes?

a little extreme

if you believe that you learn from your past then you shouldnt say stuff like that

i believe they need help

you have your right to your own opinion but that was rude

12/17/2006 #4
thisaccountisforfun
sorry, i didnt mean it that way

see the thing is, i believe self-image is important but not to the extreme that you become an anorexic.

I had a debate on this in sch once. Anorexia is a curable disorder but it affects you both mentally and physically.

why suffer in the first place?

my point is, nobody should be anorexic just for self-image.

and they're ruining their lives because anorexia is fatal.

its a sad thing but its a known fact.

im just emphasizing my opinion that staying healthy is more important. Anorexia makes you thin but not healthy. whats the point?

12/20/2006 #5
OutSide Insight
Anorexia is not about image. It's about hyper sensitive people becoming extremely altruisitic. They see things subjectively and the negative mind manifests the actual, reasonable mind. I've seen people who blame themselves for world crisis. I've seen people who believe that if they werent so 'selfishly' sleeping they would have been able to help. Watching the News could ruin their day. The negative mind is much like a schizophrenic voice that tells them everything they do or say is a waste. They develop perfectionist tendencies, they want the best for everyone but undervalue themselves. They manifest not having the control to make things perfect by trying to make their bodies perfect. They believe they deserve pain. The same way self-mutilators believe they deserve to bleed people, people with EDs belive that they deserve to starve. People can feel this way for many reasons. I know someone who comes from a lower than middle class family and sometime during middle school her parents said that they could not pay for college. Since then she has devoted her life to studying. Because she has no control over how the teachers grade and she's anxious to see her results, she starves herself incase she gets less than 100%. Her parents beg her to eat. They make her hang out with her friends. They even have to make her go to the mall. She doesn't believe she is worthy of having fun because her grades aren't always an A+.

People with believe that being thin is a sign of self control and associate obesity with lack of control. Because they strive for an extreme sense of control they desire to be as thin as possible. People with EDs typically have extreme anxiety. They're typically quiet and off to themselves because they're afraid that everything they say is stupid. They're embarassed to be alive. I knew someone who called herself the shadow that grew everlonger and once it was noticed it was stupidly standing in someones way. These people believe that they are wastes of souls.

You may want to go on xanga and look up ED blogrings ("Parched Lips Against a Wasted Sky", "I Lean to You Numb As a Fossil. Tell Me I'm Here", "You Fail", "Like Art Could Save a Wretch Like Me") I've spent nine months following the lives of certain people and it helped my research greatly.

12/22/2006 #6
katie killjoy
My story "Gunpoint Crush" is actually about a bulimic boy. Usually you don't see much of that. I've done research papers and other things on this subject so it's something I'm pretty knowledgeable about. The scenes where he does throw up aren't great since he is pass the stage where he has forced himself to and is now where he is attempting to recover.

Please read it if you would like. And review...I have lots of people reading it but no one wants to review! Lazy dang..people..grrrr.

-love, deadromantic

2/8/2007 #7
Agent Awesome
i have a friend who's half-anorexic and I can kinda relate to it.

I don't know if I'm the only one who noticed this or not (or if I'm right for that matter) but is it even possible to be half-anorexic? I mean, I know there are mild and severe cases of anorexia, but from what I understand, half-anorexic means that you are sometimes displaying anorexic behavior and sometimes behaving normally. Isn't that more of a self-image/self-esteem issue rather than an actual eating disorder?

(I'm curious about this because I'm currently in the process of writing a story about a girl who struggles with her weight and displays behavior like I described above, and I'm not too sure if it would be considered an actual eating disorder. From what I understand, it would be more of just a self-image issue that could potentially become an eating disorder, but I would really like to know if I'm right in thinking this or not.)

4/21/2007 #8
They call me Tamara
My story, AKA Zoe is about a girl with an eating disorder. I wrote it a couple of years ago, but feel it discusses her ED quite accuratly. Also, person who said anorexia is not about body image - you are so, so wrong. Yes, it is usually combined with depression, and the victims get caught up in other issues such as those you mentioned. However, it is also abou mbody image - about convincing theselves they are too fat for society and trying to be rid of that.
5/8/2007 #9
dog problems
Coming from an anorexic/bulimic/ED-NOS kid here, whoever said it has nothing to do with body image is full of s***. :]

- Colleen

5/28/2007 #10
Gogoh
I'm anorexic and I know where it leads too. It's a disease you woudl just hate to have. I have so many complains about myself and I just F*** HATE MYSELF! Apart from avoiding to eat, most anorexics have sliced wrists or thighs or whatever. (My wounds never healed) I don't even like going out, too afraid to what others will say about me. I don't want to go for the details. I'm in the verge to puke...It's so sickening, everything and anything.
6/28/2007 #11
Silent Freak
I am a purging anorexic and I have a story titled Pageant Girl which is In-progress.

I hope you read it.

8/13/2007 #12
if you're going downtown
Isn't a "purging anorexic" a bulimic?
8/16/2007 #13
Silent Freak
no, a bulimic is when the person throws up everything they eat in order to lose weight. Bulimic's actually do eat.

I'm more anorexic because I restrict to 200-500 calories a day, drink nothing but water or diet drinks, etc. But if I feel that I have over-stretched the calorie intake for the day, I will purge in order to rid myself of the extra "unnecessary" calories. Purging-Anorexic is considered EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified).

I hope I described that correctly.

8/17/2007 #14
if you're going downtown
Ah. I used to be bulimic, but I never actually did the research on it. I just purged.

I don't like reading about eating disorders, though; it's usually dripping with wangst.

8/17/2007 #15
Femilip
Eh, looks like no one has really been here in awhile. But I thought I might want to say something. I dislike the fact that people actually think that they need to stop eating so they won't get fat.

The problem with me disliking that is that I look anorexic T.T

I don't really like what you guys are saying. Your kinda judging people that look too thin before you really know them. Thats what happens to me. I get called anorexic all the time, it hurt when I first got called it but I got used to it.

There is a thing called High Metabolism. If you guys don't know what it means it means that your digestive system is really fast. In other words, you don't get enough fat from the food you eat. Sadly what happens to me...

I also don't like it when girls/guys talk trash about thin models. There are naturally skinny girls out there that eat like a 400 pound man.

This is just my opinion. Ignore if you wish XD

9/5/2007 #16
if you're going downtown
You dislike anorexics, because you yourself are accused of being such? What?

About thin models: All models are thin. A rather small portion of women are able to eat like a pig and not get fat, and I'd wager they don't all work in fashion. Besides, when there is conclusive evidence that a model has an eating disorder, we are free to say that she is too thin. I wouldn't personally insult one of them, but saying "Jesus, that kid's too skinny" isn't personal, or talking trash.

9/11/2007 #17
freedomofsketch

Good topic, I must say.

I know quite a but about EDs, because I plan to major in Psychology and have been doing research, sort of "working ahead", as I'm not in college yet. Any specific questions? If you want a really good (but extremely emotional--be aware) and raw source, go to youtube and search, "THIN documentary". There are parts 1-11.

I've started writing a story about a girl with anorexia. It's called "Diet Water" and will be written like a journal, that's all I know at the moment.

Here's a very interesting eating disorder fact: Almost all ED sufferers self-injure in a way other than their eating disorder, e.g. cutting, burning, etc.

6/28/2008 #18

to the extreme cool. im actually even more curious about your story that you are developing. i havent really touched my story after about the third chapter, because i wrote it long time ago. the grammar and stuff is very young, so im thinking about rewriting it.

6/29/2008 #19
teaam0

People don't just "become" anoretics. Anorexia is a psychological disorder that affects your brain the same way as anxiety, depression, OCD, etc. As an anoretic myself I can say that it is not something that you can just want and then get. I have had it for years and it ruins your life. I don't want to have it but I can't help it that this is the way that my brain is wired. Also anorexia nervosa can be a genetic disorder - as in it can be gained from your genes. My mom had it, my grandmother had it, my aunt has is, my sister had it, and now I have it.

As for reading stories about people with anorexia nervosa; I can't handle that. I believe that it would be impossible to write about the disorder unless you had suffered from it personally. No amount of research can possibly describe the thought process of an anoretic to a normal person. I don't think it is a good idea to write about the disorder at all unless you have been through it. Also, it is apparent on this thread that those of you who have never had it don't understand the half of it and I would strongly discourage you from writing about it. The way it afflicts your mind is so indescribable you shouldn't even attempt to breech the subject.

This is just my opinion though, so do whatever you want.

7/1/2008 #20
freedomofsketch

I never said that people just become anorexic. I agree that there is a genetic predisposition. More nature than nurture.

As for writing about it, my story will be fictional but will also be based on my own personal experience. It's such a complicated disorder, and I myself am a recovered anorexic. And even though I describe myself as "recovered", I still struggle every day with my body image. So I'm not flying blind when it comes to writing about it.

7/2/2008 #21
anikam

There are the thin models that are thin, but then there are the thin models who are thinner than the children in Africa. That's just sickening. .

12/25/2008 #22
MissKittyKaila

I have a friend who's been suffering from Anorexia for 5 years. It doesn't only affect the person's mental and physical health but it also affects the family. I think it's completely naive of someone to say that Anorexic people just think about self-image when they develop this disorder. It's a fact that alot of people who suffer from this disorder have identity crisis' or use their weight as a way to control something in their life. Sometimes when we lose control of things in our life (such as divorce, loss of someone close, job loss etc) we take something like our weight and take complete control of it because it gives us a sense of power to know that we can control some things in our life.

Anorexia is a devastating disorder and as well as this eating disorder my friend and developed many other disorders, depression, anxiety and personality disorders.

I've thought about writing something on her life, but I'd feel bad about taking her personal experiences and transferring them into a story when I know how personal her struggle as been.

5/19/2009 #23
FuckMeAlice

Hi, I was wondering if anyone would be willing to look over my story, Music. I'm going to start on a second draft of the story soon, and I want to make sure this one is more accurate. I've never had an eating disorder, and the people I know who have, quite understandably, don't want to share their experiences with me. So, I'd appreciate it if I could have someone look over my piece with an objective eye and give me suggestions.

Thanks.

-Stardust.

Also, I'm sorry if I'm offending anyone with this post.

7/5/2009 . Edited 7/5/2009 #24
AlethApocalypse

Well, i havent really done much research, but ive read a book called Skinny. My friend is anorexic, she says she barely even feels hungry any more, because her body is used to surviving on nothing. She is constantly complaining she's fat or ugly. And yes, she's cut herself before. I guess i choose to write about eating disorders sometimes because i like to write about major issues teenagers face, and ive noticed many teenagers starve themselves, or throw up everything. I just wish i knew what exactly was going through their head's when they are anorexic or belmuic. My friend doesn't really like to talk about that. As of right now, i've only heard of these two eds.

10/10/2009 #25
freedomofsketch

Sierra,

Unfortunately, the only way to know "exactly" what goes through an anorexic/bulimic's head is to suffer from the disorder itself. "Skinny" isn't the best book on the subject; I highly recommend "Wintergirls", which is frighteningly accurate. Then there is a book called "Thin", by Lauren Greenfield, which has testimonials from twenty women with eating disorders. The documentary film that accompanies it (it's also called "Thin") also offers great insight. Unfortunately it was removed from YouTube a little while ago.

There are more EDs than anorexia and bulimia. There's compulsive overeating, where people self-medicate with food. Their thought processes are not much different from anorexics'; they suffer from the same shame, self-hatred, perfectionistic tendencies, and distorted body image. Diabulimia is when a diabetic doesn't take her insulin in order to lose weight. Exercise bulimia is when the sufferer overeats and then "purges" by exercising obsessively. Orthorexia is when the person focuses obsessively on healthy eating; health foods, organic foods, etc. Then EDNOS (eating disorder not otherwise specified) is when the person has symptoms of disordered eating, but doesn't meet the criteria to be diagnosed with anorexia or bulimia (example: a girl with bad body image who starves herself and is underweight, but has a normal menstrual cycle).

People with eating disorders, especially anorexia, often (but not always) regress mentally and physically. 28-year-old women will become little girls again; they lose their b***, hips, periods, and mental capacity due to malnutrition. Sometimes it's to make up for their childhoods they felt were stolen because of sexual abuse. An overwhelming number of women with eating disorders were abused at some point in their lives, usually sexually. Some starve or purge to punish themselves. Others do it to cope with feelings that are overwhelming. They feel like their lives are out of control, so they make everything about the numbers on the scale. This isn't even the tip of the iceberg, I could go on and on. It's challenging to write stories about EDs, but I encourage you to write them, and use the resources I listed above.

That's sad about your friend. I hope she's getting the help she needs.

Sources: Recover(ing) anorexic; second-year Psychology student. If you have any questions, send me a message!

10/13/2009 #26
SeverEstHolmes

I'm really interested in this topic- my sister struggled with an ED, I've friends who have struggled with ED, and I've been hospitalised in the past. ED's contain so much stuff- it's very rarely just about the food, it's about everything in the person's life, and that is interesting to delve into. The main types of ED (anorexia, bulimia, compulsive eating disorder) are written about way more than others (like EDNOS, orthorexia, etc), and I really want to make these ones as known as the others!

10/24/2010 #27
Forum Moderators: hiddenuntilicanfigureouthowtod
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member