Teh Forum Part I
This is where you come to discuss and ask questions regarding your stories. Need help developing the plot? Come here. Just want to toss around ideas? Do that here too! Nothing is off limitsunless it breaks the rules, of course.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
scotti
I see the 'Need Help' section is getting more and more request for read/reviews. Well I've decided to make a special section just for that. Feel free to post links or ask for a request for someone to read your stories/poems here. This way your request won't get lost in the shuffle. ~~Scottie
12/10/2006 #1
scotti
OK, SINCE NO ONE WILL POST HERE, I WILL. (I CAN'T BELIEVE I'M DOING THIS...SWORE UP AND DOWN TILL I WAS BLUE IN THE FACE THAT I NEVER WOULD) I'M PIMPING OUT MY STORY..COMING UP TO BREATHE... FOR REVIEWS. I WOULD REALLY LIKE SOME NEW EYES READING IT AND TELLING ME WHAT I NEED TO FIX. YES IT'S LONG AND IT'S A ROMANCE, BUT I DON'T THINK IT'S HALF BAD...BUT THEN AGAIN NO ONE IS REVIEWING IT TO LET ME KNOW OTHERWISE. I NEED TO KNOW IT IT DRAGS OR DOESN'T FLOW SMOOTHELY. CAN ANYONE HELP ME OUT? P.S. BEFORE ANY ONE COMMENTS ON IT...YES I KNOW IT HAS PROBLEMS WITH COMMA USAGE AND SEMICOLON USAGE...I'M WORKING ON THAT AS WE SPEAK.
1/1/2007 . Edited 1/2/2007 #2
EmptynessFilled
Well, Scottie, most people just start their own thread. but if you are doing this, so will I! Ahem... I NEED REVIEWS FOR TWO STORIES, JUDGE AND JURY AND THE CONDITIONS PROJECT! I NEED FEEDBACK EVEN IF YOU THINK THEY SUCK BADLY!
1/4/2007 #3
The Ferrett
Shall try to read, and the reason most of my asjks don't end up here is because they're not like usual asks.
1/4/2007 #4
ChildeOfChaos
I'm going to try to read all of these but I have this feeling that things like my english assigned reading might just get in the way so it might take a while.
2/5/2007 #5
scotti
Honey, don't subject yourself to my terrible writing...........As EF or Satire will tell you (even Ferrett) my sentence structure is horrible, to say the least. I'm trying to work on it with their help. If you feel you can get past all the commas and "oh, my gosh not another semi-colon" reaction, then feel free to read it. I would love the imput.
2/5/2007 #6
EmptynessFilled
Not horrible, just...tedious.
2/5/2007 #7
scotti
Hey Watch it buddy.......When did you show up? I didn't hear you stick your head in the door. Tedious is a bit harsh, don't you think...(shut up, don't interrupt me when i'm talking you youngen.)
2/5/2007 . Edited 2/5/2007 #8
ChildeOfChaos
GGRRR!!!! I just had a big long thing typed here and I hit the sumbit reply button and there was a stupid error and I am NOT rewriting it all! :'( The gist of it was that I'm gonna read your story scottie and I'd love to help anyway I can. Then I think I whined about some guy telling me to write a story instead of just poetry(I LIKE poetry) which made me sad cause, try as I might, I'm just not good with the actual story writing. ...if this gets deleted again I'm gonna cry!
2/5/2007 #9
scotti
Thanks for the offer of help Childe, i could use it. As far as the not being able to write story stuff, I can't write poetry to save my life. So we are even in that aspect. Also about the error message, the site has been acting up all day. Just hit the go back button and it will bring you back to your message that you typed and then re submit it. Do that until it takes it.
2/5/2007 #10
ChildeOfChaos
Nope, I hit the back button and its all gone :( I found it kinda weird that someone reviewed one of my poems not with a comment on the poem but to tell me to write a story instead of just poetry. It was...random. I just really like to write poetry. I don't know if I'm good at it, I just like it.
2/5/2007 #11
EmptynessFilled
People do mean things like that all the time. i made the mistake of getting on the bad side of two authors here, and they reviewed my stuff just to insult me. That was back before the forums came and we could actively talk to one another.
2/6/2007 #12
scotti
Maybe the reviewer of her poem, EF, didn't mean it as an insult. Maybe he thought her work was really good and that she should try writing a story...that he would enjoy reading it if she did. I know i would because, Childe, your work is really, really good. It could have just come out wrong the way he wrote the review. Try asking him what he meant by the review Childe....i bet he meant no harm.(ok, so that last sentence was an example of poor english...)
2/6/2007 #13
scotti
Ok, on a different note...... I have to give out a hardy congrats to RJ Michael who is one of my favorite authors here on FP. He has agents interested in his work who are ready to publish his stuff just as soon as he finishes the novel. He's signed the contract and is ready to go. Isn't that great? That makes the second person who was on my favorites list who got published. Way to go RJ!
2/6/2007 #14
scotti
Dag-nabit......... Actually my stats were wrong...RJ will make it the third person. I forgot about Michael Hoblak of inspired empire. OOPs! Sorry Michael......
2/6/2007 #15
ChildeOfChaos
Thats really awesome, and thanks for the complement Scottie. I don't know how I was supposed to take it. I replied asking why he'd say that and I haven't gotten and answer. He also asked me to read/review one of his stories and I did...it wasn't really my thing.
2/6/2007 #16
scotti
Ok, I have to bite, the suspense is killing me (or is the curiosity?).... What poem was it that he left the review on if you don't mind me asking?
2/6/2007 . Edited 2/6/2007 #17
ChildeOfChaos
Um...let me go look...*goes to look* *comes back* The comment was left by Divine Writer on my poem What Will You Regret. It said "can you please make a actual story instead of peoms, in return, il make a peom." Those were the exact words.
2/6/2007 . Edited 2/6/2007 #18
Obscure Omen
I'd appreciate it greatly if people could review pretty much any of my poetry or prose. (The only ones that I don't think need to be reviewed are Spreading Angel Wings, The Dangers of Alaska, and Two Worlds Collide; I wrote those long ago, and I know that they're not anywhere close to being up to par.) Most of it's rather dark, though. The only pieces that aren't (that are up for reviewing) would be the essay I wrote called The Stupidity Crisis: Internet Edition and a piece of prose called Ambiguous Tranquility (however, that one does have a slightly dark ending ^^; ). Just thought people would enjoy a warning if they don't like depressing/disturbing writing. /shameless advertising
2/10/2007 . Edited 2/11/2007 #19
EmptynessFilled
Oh, I love dark stories, Omen. I'll check them out!
2/11/2007 #20
scotti
[q]Oh, I love dark stories,[/q] Ha, Ha,Ha............ figures. Don't ask me what i mean by that because i haven't a clue, EF. Pssst...Don't worry Omen, i'm not poking fun at your stories, honey, or making mean comments about them...i haven't read any of them yet. I was just commenting on a comment.....oh,heavens! I'm confusing myself.... I had better shut up while i'm ahead before i end up putting my foot in my mouth.(again)
2/12/2007 #21
Clico78
Hi, I'm new to fiction press. My Creative Writing teacher had the web address written up on the board at one point and so I wrote it down. I was lead to believe that people here help each other to improve. So when I first got my account I reviewed stories and some poems. I said what was wrong (in nice terms, I am not a d***) and what I liked about them. My stats said I have given 50 signed reviews and of those, only 9 people have replied (7 to say thanks and 2 have yelled at me) and 1 has reviewed me back, the e-mails are still in my inbox. The 7 that said thanks, my reviews didn't say what was wrong with their works. I am not asking for reviews but this topic is somewhat about them so I figure what I say somehow fits. I am kind of starting to think that most people here are somewhat rude and only want praise as reviews. Sorry I kind of needed to type this because I am getting a little frustrated. -Asher
2/15/2007 #22
EmptynessFilled
Asher, first off, I would like to welcome you to my ever growing forum of madness. I'm freaking serious, this forum is nearing 700 posts. Anyway, I know completely what you're going through. This forum is a place where we WILL help you, and i think I may be able to give some pointers. Don't always point out faults. Have a complete review. State the positive and negative, both in a gentlemanly manner. Also give emotional and opinionated responses rather than just critiquing literal writing skills. I'm not saying this is all you do, because i have just met you and whatnot. Most of this is not your fault. Many people here are young and only want to be praised. A lot of people here are just plain bad writers and fully deserve to have their stories picked apart. Also, you have noticed something that I am personally upset with, the fact that not many people reply to reviews. Not many people fully take advantage of the review, C2, and forum systems. It's not the website's fault, but the people. Wait until you put up a story and no one reviews it, or people flame it. This site gets annoying at times, but it will definitely help your writing skills and when you find friends, it makes it so much better. So, as soon as I read some of Omen's poems, I'll stop by your profile. I may drop you a PM. Anything you need.
2/16/2007 #23
Clico78
I do state a positive and negative in nice ways. Usually I go "positive, negative, positive". I don't know what you mean by emotional. Sometimes I say writing wise what I noticed wrong and other times it's something that doesn't make sense in the story. I don't know what C2 is. Well everyone starts out as a bad writer, you get better from experience, suggestions, CC and reading. People seem to mostly read and praise the stories with the word slash in the summary. I read one that had that in it and it was just describing two guys kissing so I said it had no plot and other people said things like "OMG thats so cute" "I loved it!" so it seems that this site is also full of weirdos. Well I have learned a few things from being on this site from one person so I might learn more as I update, I am not much of a talking type though. -Asher
2/16/2007 #24
Clico78
And I managed to ruin your forum. Sorry.
2/18/2007 #25
EmptynessFilled
You didn't ruin the forum at all! This is a help forum, among other things, and that's what I'm here for. C2 means Community of Critics. It's a community of people who can add to a collective archive of stories. i have one dedicated to funny stories. By emotional, I mean tell the people how the story made you feel, whether or not you felt for the characters or enjoyed yourself while reading it. The stories here aren't just textbooks, so they need a little more than technical and grammatical corrections. I must warn you about stories that have "slash" in the summary. That means "gay". It may have a gay romance or center around a gay character. Also, look out for "lemon". That means sex, and usually explicit sex. Especially be wary of "slash lemons". Calm down a little. Once you get the hang of things and find you niche, then things will work out. If you need anything, don't be afraid to ask.
2/19/2007 #26
Obscure Omen
[q]I must warn you about stories that have "slash" in the summary. That means "gay". [/q] I thought that "slash" was only used in fanfiction/doujinshi to declare a homosexual pairing that isn't canon (meaning that it's not a pairing in the novel/anime the fanfic or doujinshi's based on)... I didn't know that it was used for normal fiction, too. On that note, I'd suggest being wary of anything with "m/m," "yaoi," "shounen-ai," "shoujo-ai," or "yuri" (I don't know if "f/f" is used, but it is possible) in the summaries, too. The first is used for male/male pairings, the second with explicit stories containing male/male pairings, and shounen-ai is normally non-explicit male/male pairings. Shoujo-ai is two females paired together in a non-explicit story, while yuri involves explicit female/female pairings. (... I learned most of this the hard way via fanfiction.net, so most of the Japanese phrases/words I learned from there aren't used here as often. I'd look out for "m/m," for that reason.)
2/19/2007 #27
EmptynessFilled
They may be in the Manga section. I got used to seeing Yuri and Yaoi at FF.net as well.
2/20/2007 #28
ChildeOfChaos
I had to ask my friend what all those Japanese words meant and I still can't keep them straight. I've only seen "slash" in summaries on fics but that probably because most of what I've posted and read on this site is poetry. About reviews I have a question for you guys :) Do you people have a certain policy in regards to reviews? I know some people review anyone that reviews them and other people that will review for example three of your works if you reviewed three of theirs or five for five or whatever. What do you guys do or does it just depend??
2/20/2007 #29
Clico78
So any story with those in the summary are things such as two men/women kissing? Are you supposed to have that in the summary if there is? [q]I know some people review anyone that reviews them and other people that will review for example three of your works if you reviewed three of theirs or five for five or whatever.[/q] If someone reviews me I try to review them back. It depends if I am not feeling crappy, if I am I'll do at least one then maybe try later. I've reviewed a few people several times even if they haven't reviewed me at all. But the most I've done was two because I felt I was being annoying. -Asher
2/20/2007 #30
Page 1 2 3 4 .. Last Next »
Forum Moderators: EmptynessFilled
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member