Femslash Central
Lesbians in love, such a misunderstood topic in modern culture. It's not just about the color pink, or magical kisses in the rain. It's about two people in love who happen to be women. If you're a writer of femslash or simply a reader, stop in.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Page 1 2 Next »
Knightmare Elite
I know it's still a few months to be bring this up but is anyone entering this year? I entered last year for the first time made the 50k. It's so much fun racing to that deadline. I think there's something in the thrill of competition that brings out the most creative ideas. Not to mention you can meets lots of interesting people in the wee hours, even get into new kinds of writing music by suggestion.

So I don't expect this thread to get much action till around September or October. But this will be here for anyone who's going to enter the National Novel Writing Month contest this November

You can register here or simply look around for info, and best of all it's free! ------ http://www.nanowrimo.org/

To help out the lazy I've copied the FAQ from the site:

How often do you do this?

Every November!

Who will read my novel when I'm done?

Anyone you want. Last year, some people swapped novels afterwards and it was a hoot. But it's entirely up to you. No one will read your novel until you're ready for them to.

Do you edit or publish the finished products?

We'd love to be able to publish everyone's work, but our connections to the fiction-publishing world end at Kinkos. You are welcome, however, to put excerpts from your novel-in-progress up on our site.

Does NaNoWriMo own to the rights to novels written during November?

Nope. All words are yours and yours alone. Novels emailed in at the end of the month for word count verification are deleted, unread, after being verified.

Is there a fee to participate?

There's no sign-up fee, but we do ask ably-financed participants to contribute something towards hosting and administrative costs. The amount is up to you.

Do I need to have a personal website to participate?

No.

When can I sign up?

October 1, 2007

When is the cut-off date for sign-ups?

11:59:59 pm GMT, November 30, 2007 (hope springs eternal).

When do I start writing?

At 12:00:01 am local time on November 1.

How do you win? Are there judges? What are the prizes?

The way to win NaNoWriMo is by writing 50,000 words by midnight on November 30. Every year, there are many, many winners. There are no "Best Novel" or "Quickest-Written Novel" awards given out. All winners will get an official "Winner" web icon and certificate.

Can I handwrite the novel?

Absolutely. We can't verify your word count, but verification is just icing on the NaNoWriMo cake.

What if I start and don't finish?

That's ok. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

What if I hit 50,000 words but I'm only halfway through my story?

The 50,000 word limit is a threshold, not necessarily a stopping place. Reaching 50k and realizing you still have a lot of wrapping up to do is a good thing---it gives you something to come back and work on later.

How many novels have been written through NaNoWriMo?

1999: 21 participants and six winners

2000: 140 participants and 29 winners

2001: 5,000 particpants and more than 700 winners

2002: 13,500 participants and around 2,100 winners

2003: 25,500 participants and about 3,500 winners

2004: 42,000 participants and just shy of 6,000 winners

2005: 59,000 participants and 9,769 winners

2006: 79,000 participants and 13,000 winners

Has anyone had their novel published?

Quite a few!

One last thing! If anyone does register, please feel free to leave your Nano name and link to your profile once the contest goes live in November.

7/30/2007 . Edited 7/30/2007 #1
the nerdy
i am afraid due to my usb drive burning out i was unable to finish my novel. i cried, very hard. but i am working with what i had saved on the computer (about 2 3rds) and continuing in the same dirrection.
12/2/2007 #2
the nerdy
i am afraid due to my usb drive burning out i was unable to finish my novel. i cried, very hard. but i am working with what i had saved on the computer (about 2 3rds) and continuing in the same dirrection.
12/2/2007 #3
Knightmare Elite
I can totally relate, last year I had an absolute catastrophe on my laptop and I luckily recovered my story in time. This year....sighs. I had to make a choice between class work and Sophette :(
12/2/2007 #4
Jessica Pryce

I'm so in for this year.

8/3/2008 #5
Knightmare Elite

I'm still debating whether I want to try this year or not. Maybe if I don't have a heavy class load like last year it won't be as hard.

8/3/2008 #6
Double Plus Special

I'm gonna try again this year. I failed last year. I only managed about 12 000 words before I got sick of my story. =(

I'm a perfectionist so its probably not the competition for me, but I'm gonna use it to try and motivate me to write anyway.

8/8/2008 #7
FoxTail13

I really want to enter this year but I have no plot.

8/17/2008 #8
Knightmare Elite

I'm going to be doing Nanowrimo this year. It's going to be a crunch with a professional writing and poetry class, ugh. I like challenges though so I'll give it my best. Of course that means certain sacrifices must be made. So, I likely won't update anything during the entire month of November. I'll try to get up another Summer chapter before then, but I can't promise anything.

Does anyone have any idea what they're writing yet, or are you just going to 'wing it'?

10/20/2008 #9
FoxTail13

After a long process of thought...I have a plot! (and I can successfully rhyme ^_^)

I can't wait for this, despite the fact that I have to juggle school along with this.

My plot is about a psychologist, Lynn, and her life as she juggles her home life with two kids Cecilia and Liam and her psychology life. There will be alot of characters, including friends of Cecilia and Liam, Lynn's patients and friends and so on. The patients will also have subplots attached to them as well. It's better than it sounds! ^_^

What's everyone els doing?

10/20/2008 #10
Knightmare Elite

I'm going to do mine on my transsexual character Mia Moretti. I've been hearing her voice over my other characters as of late, so I'll take that as she wants out. This is exciting because I've never written a character like this before. The story basically takes place with Mia in college, fully living as a woman, boobs and all. She's suddenly become a cheerleader, so that's become part of the story. Weird how characters can evolve!

10/20/2008 #11
Jessica Pryce

My story is called Deeper than the Bone and it's about two butch girls in high school who meet online and date through their senior year in cyberspace since they live on opposite sides of the state. It's barely planned, but I've got an idea in my head of what I want to happen... It'll be posted here as I write it.

10/21/2008 #12
Knightmare Elite

Sounds like a great idea, I'd love to read it.

10/21/2008 #13
Jessica Pryce

Okay, so last second change to my story. I'm actually going to be working on a novel similar to Stone Butch Blues (by Leslie Feinberg). The working title is Becoming Andy and it's the story of a transman who lived for more than 35 years as a woman before finally realizing what was going on. It's the true story of a guy I've been interviewing for a few months, but I need to start cracking on this or he'll kill me, so I'm counting it in on Nanowrimo. And I've got the feeling that some parts are going to have to be fictionalized since there are just some things I can never really understand about various things he's gone through. It won't be posted on here for publishing reasons (he and I both intend to publish this, and not many publishers will accept something that's been online) but I'd be willing to risk a beta or two. If you're really interested, you can google his name--Andy Citino and check out his myspace (tag is 'thesixpak')

11/1/2008 #14
Knightmare Elite

Work on 'Tainted Butterly' is going swimmingly. I'm currently at 18,112 words and I'm going for 20K tonight. My goal is to be at 25K by saturday night. I'm so amazed at Mia, she's quickly becoming one of my favorite characters. I know Abby will be jealous. :)

11/5/2008 #15
Jessica Pryce

...crap. I haven't done anything at all... been too busy working on the elections and junk...but you've inspired me to pick up the laptop, slam it down on my desk at work and start cracking. Thanks, Knightmare!

11/7/2008 #16
Knightmare Elite

I just passed 32K words and I'm starting to wonder if this story is going to stay at 50K which I currently don't see happening. Am I the only person here doing Nano?

11/10/2008 #17
Jessica Pryce

I'm still doing NaNo, but I'm so far behind I'm not going to make 50k. Right now I'm only at I think 15 pages and most of it is pretty much just notes on the plot... Still, I'm trying. And good on you, Knightmare.

11/11/2008 #18
FoxTail13

I'm also doing NaNo as well, but I'm nowhere near as high in the word count as I'd like to be. But its all in good fun so it's not that bad if I don't get to 50K, as long as I finish this dang novel...

But good job on the word count, Knightmare!

11/11/2008 #19
Knightmare Elite

Just another small update I passed 61K yesterday. Well today's my birthday and I turn 27 at some point today. Ugh, I feel so old. Well I'll probably write some more until my body starts to request sleep.

11/22/2008 #20
Jessica Pryce

Happy birthday!

11/23/2008 #21
Knightmare Elite

Nanowrimo 2008 ended last night and I'm sad it's over.

Tainted Buttefly weighed in at 75,596 words as of 11:59pm Sunday night. The story still isn't finished, and I'm really pushing for the extra 5K to classify it as an actual novel (well most people say 80K is the baseline for a novel). Anyway, I'm proud of myself for winning this year, I f'd up SO bad last year I gave up in the second week.

As for Tainted Butterfly, I'm no longer posting it on Fictionpress. I has initially told myself I'd like to post it after Nano, but this story is too important to just give away. I want to try and get this published once I actually finish it, and take on the daunting task of editing.

I'm still in awe of creating a living, breating, transsexual character and the story didn't turn out to be crap. I've learned so much about 'T-girls', and I feel that Tainted Butterfly could be something of an inspiration to transgendered people, as well as some descent fiction that they sorely need. It feels weird knowing I have a t-girl in my character stable now. But, hopefully all the girls will welcome Mia when they're introduced later this month. :)

Congratulations to all who participated in Nanowrimo 2008 and a cupcake to all who won.

12/1/2008 #22
Knightmare Elite

Not sure how many of you are doing Nanowrimo 2010, I am.

After much debating, I've decided I'm going finally write my Aphrodite Academy story. Is anyone else doing Nano, if so what are you doing?

10/31/2010 #23
Double Plus Special

I think I'll have another go this year. The story I want to write is just the last year of my life, not that anyone will believe me cause my life has gotten so crazy that the only way I decided to deal with it would be to turn it into a form that's meant to be that crazy. Happy nanowrimo Knightmare Elite!

10/31/2010 #24
Jessica Pryce
I'm all in. Writing a sequel to another story on here called The Witch's Name. As usual, it's a butch/femme story set in another world called Thenalium, where horses can fly, swords can sing, the true king's blood is blue, and there's a siren who just wants to fall in love.
10/31/2010 #25
Knightmare Elite

It's 4:14 in the morning and I'm at 4,635 on Aphrodite Academy. I wanted to hit five thousand before going to bed, it's just not happening. I'm going to try to hit 10K before midnight tonight. If I can do that, I'll that much closer to actually winning this year, and not have a disaster like last year.

11/1/2010 #26
Jessica Pryce

Nice, Knightmare. I'm still trying to get back into the groove since I haven't written in a while. I made the mistake of not having a more detailed plotline, so now I'm struggling with what's going on outside of major plot points and semi-major happenings. What's Aphrodite Academy about?

11/1/2010 #27
Knightmare Elite

It's a government funded boarding school for young girls who are lesbian, bisexual, or bi curious. It follows one of the new students as she tries to find out if she even likes girls, while coping with this gay friendly environment and nothing makes sense to her. I've wanted to write the full story for a long time, and I'm surprised at how radically different it's turning out from the one shots, I guess because this story takes place from the very beginning rather than those who just jumped into active situations. They story's going to need a bit of work before it sees Fictionpress. :(

I'm currently sitting at 14,265 and going to try and hit 15K before going to bed.

11/2/2010 #28
Double Plus Special

That's a fairly impressive word count, Knightmare Elite. I'm on 6705 at the moment which is much better than I've ever done in years previous.

If anyone wants to check mine out, I'm posting it up as I go to help myself stick to the no editing rule. http://www.fictionpress.com/secure/story/story_preview.php?storyid=2860598

Are you putting yours up, Jessica?

11/2/2010 #29
Jessica Pryce

I'm just over 3k and you guys are making me feel like a slacker :-p

Yeah, mine's up. http://www.fictionpress.com/s/2861192/1/

btw, Double, I don't know whether it's my computer not connecting with the link, but I think you posted the preview url instead of the regular fictionpress.com/s/ one.

11/2/2010 #30
Page 1 2 Next »
Forum Moderators: Knightmare Elite
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member