Kids Writers on FictionPress
Discussion on writing for children.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Kumquat21
. . . Is overused, in my opinion. I mean, I can understand for younger children first hearing stories, how this would be a good technique. But anywhere from 6-9, I think it's a little demeaning. Well, if it's a child's prose/poetry, I can understand it's usage. But otherwise, I think the child can understand the story without a soundeffect every five lines, or a recap of what has happened in the story, as I have seen occasionally.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, though I don't think I made it very clear here, is that a story shouldn't lean on repitition for entertainment. The story should be something else as well. Then, once there is an actual focus for the child, you can add repeats if you like, while rewriting it.

Well, those are my thoughts.

1/26/2007 #1
Will Sachiksy
Repetition of small bits of description in kids prose works well. Like the "glittering, glimmering scales" told of in "The Rainbow Fish." Repeated lines of a poem should be subtly altered either every time or for effect at the end. Otherwise, I would agree that repetition does not make for a quality story. I should probably consult my younger sibling on that, though.
1/29/2007 #2
Bri Neves
Repetition can be annoying and unnecessary.

Well, that's my take on it. ^_^

4/9/2007 #3
Agent Awesome
I think that if a children's story does use repetition, it should be cleverly interwoven into the story and used to help make the story entertaining instead of being relied on solely to make a story interesting for readers, especially in the 6-9 age bracket. Robert Munsch is a good example of a children's author who uses repetition to complement the story instead of supporting it completely.
4/21/2007 #4
Cool Monsters

A good example is Dr. Seuss' And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street.

10/15/2009 #5
fantasybookworm2012
I don't remember the Tories of this. Oil but it was anywhere along the lines of idiocy. It was just this animal did this to this animal and that animal did this to another animal. All through the book. No plot what so ever.
1/8/2013 #6
fairyrain

Fox in Socks?

1/27/2013 #7
Forum Moderators: Will Sachiksy
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member