Kids Writers on FictionPress
Discussion on writing for children.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
thebloodfiend

What type of subjects do you think a kid would get at what age. I know I didn't like reading romance till I was about 11 but that varies from person to person I suppose. What genre do you think would be to advance for a 10 year old.

9/3/2008 #1
XxXthehappyemoXxX

Most kids that age fear "cooties" so mushy romantic storys would make them go "eeewww" I did get into romance around that age but I guess I was just unusual back then...wait a second...I still am unusual now. Writing a horror story for children that wont give them nightmares will most of the time turn out comedic. I would say kids would like comedy stories about kids their age.

5/1/2009 #2
TheLoserWhoAlwaysWins

Comedy, friendship, and things with no point behind them would be good. Definitely stay away from romance. I'm a thirteen-year-old girl, and whenever I watch or read something romantic, I'm always shouting "SHOOT HIM IN THE HEAD!" If you attempt romance, don't make it too mushy or kissy-kissy, and it might attract the attention of some of the girls.

7/13/2009 #3
FairyMermaid

Horror stories don't have to be funny to not be too scary. Magic's always good.

1/26/2010 #4
Slave to Creativity

I am still eleven years old, and I say:

Romance is always good. It's just the tendency of people to put a really cheesy love confession in the first chapter that puts me off. I say romance works well with action.

Although, on the horror subject, I used to write demons and death games at nine. GRAPHIC demons and death games. With blood. And don't take it wrongly, I'm female. I wrote super-horror-violence-action scenes back then...and don't any more.

I can always read comedy. No matter what the genre or rating. (Yes, I read all of the ratings.) They supply a good laugh, and MOST kids wouldn't understand it...I'm looking at myself, and Wikipedia which helped.

Drama is good as long as it's not all mushy. I don't expect the first scene with someone screaming to their girlfriend not to leave. Hideous.

Family or friendship? Yes. That's definately good. As long as there's some kind of twist.

6/10/2010 . Edited 7/9/2010 #5
Cool Monsters

There's no reason for graphic violence and blood. They add nothing to the story. Having the monster turn out to be somebody pretending to be a werewolf or vampire is going to alienate your audience. If you promise them a monster, make sure you give them one. Forget Twilight. Teenage girls may want to run into Edward Cullen, but little kids are going to be expecting Count Dracula turning into a bat and trying to drink their blood.

9/21/2010 #6
Jacob.Warren

I like stories involving NASA, the weather channel, and death. Call me crazy, it's just what I like. I'll be 14 on October 14th.

9/25/2011 #7
A Fire Rose

I would say to keep it clean and such, and not mention subjects that they may not know about or should not know about yet. But they're smarter than we give them credit for, and it's never too early to start learning about right and wrong, and such. They can grasp quite a bit.

10/14/2011 #8
RoseFairyLady

Kids get bored if there's too much romance. They want to read people doing things not getting all mushy. That's for teenagers. Kids will say come on already get back to the story!

5/5/2012 #9
Kay Iscah

I think kids "get" all sorts of subjects and genres. They just get them at kid level.

A ten year old may not want to read a detailed kissing scene, but they understand the impulse to be with someone special.

9/14/2012 #10
Cool Monsters

Westerns traditionally had little or no romance in them until the time of Clint Eastwood. Before that they were intended for audiences of young boys who were grossed out by kissing. Popular cowboy star Gene Autry only kissed the girl in two of his many films. In both cases the audience had a fit about it and the kisses were removed from the films. In the 50s Dennis the Menace live action series, Dennis talks happily about a Western he saw starring his favorite cowboy hero. He says by the end the hero was the only person still alive "except for that dumb girl!" So expect 10 year olds to skip over kissing scenes and seriously tell you that your story would be better if you took them out.

12/22/2012 #11
Forum Moderators: Will Sachiksy
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member