Amusing or Ridiculous?
Write your opinion on what makes a text humorous in a qualitative way. I am curious about what you think a good funny story is. List criteria and preferences, and whatever else crosses your mind.
New Follow Forum Follow Topic
Caseus

If written in third person, Narrator-Interruption is always quite humorous because it's written literally by the author, who is posing as 'God' in the story.

(:

11/19/2008 #1
D.R. Check

I completely agree. One of my favorite things in humorous stories is a frequent habit of Sir Terry Pratchett, in which he'll annote a bit of text with a * and then at the bottom of the page go in-depth about that particular piece.

12/1/2009 #2
zooropoid

I love that sort of thing. PTerry does it very well, yes, but Kurt Vonnegut does it beautifully too. I find it very difficult to write that sort of intrusion, but I love reading it when it happens.

4/13/2010 #3
WolfletteMoon
I love reading it when it's well written. When it reads like the writer was just trying to be 'cool' and 'modern' (technically post-modern, but whatever)and it was clealy forced in then it might as well not be there. Most importantly, it has to fit with the text and the narration style. It either works or it doesn't. It's great when it works, but only when it works.
12/14/2011 #4
AquariusGirl230191

I have actually tried this kind of thing (Sort of) in my first attempt at comedy writing. Anyone want a read? - http://www.fictionpress.com/s/3023397/1/How_to_Survive_Sheep_That_Are_Out_For_Your_Blood

Does it work in my story or does it suck? :)

5/19/2012 #5
Forum Moderators: flaunt it dauntlessly
Rules:
  • Forums are not to be used to post stories.
  • All forum posts must be suitable for teens.
  • The owner and moderators of this forum are solely responsible for the content posted within this area.
  • All forum abuse must be reported to the moderators.
Membership Length: 2+ years 1 year 6+ months 1 month 2+ weeks new member